C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Getting clutch done and tranny is stuck to

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 04:31 PM
canuck buick
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Getting clutch done and tranny is stuck to

spline. Have my 89 in to get the clutch done and the tranny is stuck to spline and they can't separate said it will only separate an inch or so, does this sound right has anybody had an issue like this?
Old 08-23-2016, 05:04 PM
blue94
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Did my 94 last week and if tranny is not supported/aligned properly it will bind. I had to adjust the trans jack and the use a bar to gently separate the trans from the bell housing.

Once you have cleared the splines you can then lower the rear of the tranny

Last edited by blue94; 08-23-2016 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:05 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Are they trying to remove transmission with bell housing still attached or transmission from bell housing? Since they can move it an inch I betting with. I would unbolt trans from bell housing first, remove transmission, and then remove bell housing. Does car have flood history?
Old 08-23-2016, 06:40 PM
canuck buick
Pro

Don't think its ever been in a flood but i wonder if he hasn't got it supported right. There is no difference unbolting this trans than any other v8 of its vintage i am guessing there can,t be anything he is missing? I will take off work early tomorrow and see if i can see anything.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:44 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

There was one in here a while back on the ground. He hooked his truck to them apart.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:00 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck buick
There is no difference unbolting this trans than any other v8 of its vintage
1989 was the first year for the ZF six speed with it's pull (not push) style clutch; so there are some differences, but yes you should be able to pull the trans out of the bell housing, throwout bearing, and pressure plate without difficulty...well any more difficulty than usual for pulling a ZF...since they are heavy and the space is somewhat limited.

Now if they are trying to pull the bellhousing off the back of the engine, the pull style clutch pressure plate and throwout bearing are locked together and will not come apart as is normally expected with a more conventional push style clutch.

Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
canuck buick (08-26-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 06:48 PM
canuck buick
Pro

mechanic said the throwout bearing was seized on the spline, but i was still able to shift and change gears just would slip under heavy throttle does this make sense if the throw out bearing was seized on?
Old 08-26-2016, 06:13 AM
blue94
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck buick
mechanic said the throwout bearing was seized on the spline, but i was still able to shift and change gears just would slip under heavy throttle does this make sense if the throw out bearing was seized on?
While I am not a mechanic, this does not hold water with me. The throw out bearing must move for the clutch to disengage from the flywheel. Clutch disk being seized could be possible but doubtful as you said he was able to move it an inch. Sounds like a binding issue to me.

The trans needs to come straight back until the front shaft of the trans clears the clutch disk usually just a few inches.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:15 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Throw out bearing doesn't ride on splines it rides on front bearing retainer. It's the metal collar, that input shaft protrudes from, the throw out bearing slides back and forth on it as clutch is applied.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:37 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Your mechanic just isn't familiar with how the Corvette ZF clutch works. The clutch is a PULL type release. The throwout bearing is captured behind the fingers of the pressure plate and the pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel flywheel. You CANNOT pull the transmission and bell-housing off as a unit with the clutch release fork is still in there because it is captured in the pull type throwout bearing. And you can't get the fork out without removing the bell-housing. All he is doing by pulling on it, is pulling on the fork and releasing the clutch just like pressing on the pedal does. When it reaches the end of the throw, that's as far as he can pull it without breaking something like the release fingers in your pressure plate or bending your fork and ruining your expensive hard to find throwout bearing. You have to remove the transmission from the bell-housing FIRST!

Get notified of new replies

To Getting clutch done and tranny is stuck to

Quick Reply: Getting clutch done and tranny is stuck to