C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Headlights acting strange

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 07:58 PM
SpidersInMyBed
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlights acting strange

I did a search but didn't find anything so forgive me if it's been asked and answered. My headlights wouldn't go up last night, so I looked at it this afternoon with the hood up and they worked fine several times. I closed the hood and again they wouldn't flip up. Opened the hood and they worked. I looked for an obstruction but didn't see anything. Any ideas.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:24 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Trace out the wiring harness for signs of chaffing or something could be breaking an electrical connection when the harness bends. Broken wire inside the harness or poor ground that gets changed when the harness moves.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:36 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Year? Newer one six bucks of pucks. Usually one will go before the other but stranger things have happend.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 08-23-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:58 PM
SpidersInMyBed
Cruising

Old 08-23-2016, 09:00 PM
SpidersInMyBed
Cruising

Originally Posted by Klondike
Trace out the wiring harness for signs of chaffing or something could be breaking an electrical connection when the harness bends. Broken wire inside the harness or poor ground that gets changed when the harness moves.
That seems possible, I do a check on that tomorrow
Old 08-23-2016, 09:03 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by SpidersInMyBed
Ok no pucks just gears did they both start at the same time? Maybe look at the relay I believe it is in front of the drivers side wheel on the other side of the wheel well. Clean and check connections.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 08-23-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:02 PM
SpidersInMyBed
Cruising

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Ok no pucks just gears did they both start at the same time? Maybe look at the relay I believe it is in front of the drivers side wheel on the other side of the wheel well. Clean and check connections.
I'll give that a try as well in the morning. Thanks
Old 08-24-2016, 09:01 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by SpidersInMyBed
I did a search but didn't find anything so forgive me if it's been asked and answered. My headlights wouldn't go up last night, so I looked at it this afternoon with the hood up and they worked fine several times. I closed the hood and again they wouldn't flip up. Opened the hood and they worked. I looked for an obstruction but didn't see anything. Any ideas.
In almost a year on this forum, I have not seen another topic come up as often as the crappy flip up C4 headlights. With a fail rate in excess of 60 percent, someone posts about them almost daily. I've seen multiple postings of the exact same question posted at the same time by different people. I remember seeing them on C4s back when they were NEW!!! Why is that corvette winking?

Having said that, the search function on this forum couldn't find it's own butt with both hands.

If they open with the hood up, it's likely an obstruction. On the later models, there are some sensors on the radiator that get loose and bind the drivers side.

If you're lucky, it's just the gears. Easy fix.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:21 PM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Lots of general terms are being used here. Are you saying that both headlights fails to rotate when the hood is shut/down?

I think we need some more information here before you start down a particular troubleshooting path.

1. What work have you done to the car just before the headlight issue started?

2. Do the headlights make any grinding/abnormal noises while rotating or attempting to rotate (hood up and down)?

3. When the hood is down and you turn on the lights do the headlights illuminate?

I can come up with a lot more questions but I believe these will get you better answers from the group than just a general "headlights won't rotate".
The following users liked this post:
SpidersInMyBed (08-29-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 09:50 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

I one time had a problem with my passenger's side headlight not going up when the hood was closed. It turned out that the coolant overflow container was obstructing the headlight...

Seems like an obstruction is possible if they repeatedly work with the hood up but not down...
The following users liked this post:
SpidersInMyBed (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 02:34 AM
SpidersInMyBed
Cruising

I appreciate all the reply's first off. But I think I have it figured out. The previous owner installed an aftermarket oil cooler, and the lines run down along the driver side engine bay and beside where the headlight rest's. They must have shifted and blocked the headlight from raising while the hood was closed. Feeling rather foolish but again, appreciate the community coming to my aide.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlights acting strange

Quick Reply: Headlights acting strange