Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 vs C5 comparison, share your thoughts..

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 08:22 PM
oilyfishhead
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette

picked up a friend many yrs ago who heard I bought an 89
When I pulled up he goes, "Oh its one of those slow ones"
2 min later "hey this thing has some torque". whatever.....
Its just a car to me I could care less what anyones opinion is.
I've never driven an 89 so I can't comment on that but if the haters want to run me and my 94 it will surprise them.

I seem to recall that when the 84 came out the press was all about the 1G
turn on a skid pad? Something about the 1st production car to do it?

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ived-road-test

Number 7 on the 10 best list.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/f...-all-time.html
Old 08-26-2016, 08:34 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I've never driven an 89 so I can't comment on that but if the haters want to run me and my 94 it will surprise them.
Well they certainly arent fast (14 sec car) but was better than his moms C3 which was way worse. The L48 was the doggiest v8 Id ever owned
Old 08-26-2016, 08:57 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
When I go to C&C or car meets, people either like or hate my 93.
A question, since I saw thegame talk about it. These people that like or hate your 93. How much did they pay for the car? I don't know about you but I paid for my car and your opinion of it doesn't matter. If you want an opinion, start writing checks and I'll consider it. I wish people would be man enough to stand aside from the boys.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:58 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by thegame
Someone actually told you at a cars and coffee that they HATE your C4?
When you start paying for it, your opinion counts. That is the attitude I take.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:00 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DMITTZ
He then said that his car was a 'real Corvette'... I didn't bother talking to him again.

I used to get that sort of thing a lot from newer model Corvette owners, this year finally my C4 is starting be accepted as being part of the Corvette 'brotherhood'.
Who and what defines a "real Corvette"?

The question is whether you bought that Corvette for you or to be one of the "Joneses".
Old 08-26-2016, 09:13 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

C4 corvettes are when they finally started to handle properly. They also have a true clamshell hood which looks badass and I remember the bose stereo in my 93 was wayyyy better than any of the other bose systems in any of my other vettes and that includes my c7.

To me the C4 also has a really cool cockpit feel and driving position. Anyone dissing the car because it costs less than their vette is a certified jackass. Hell my car must be a real pos to any ferrari or Porsche owner. Who the he'll cares as akim pointed out the opinion that matters is of the owners and that's it.

My car has an ECS supercharger/meth injection/and longtube headers makes well over 700hp on LOW boost and I swear I would take it over any Ferrari. That's just because since I was little Corvettes were special TO ME. They played a part in my life and I bought what I love.

Last edited by thegame; 08-26-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:16 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

I know this thread went off topic, my bad. But, I could care less what people think of my car as well. I love it, that's all that counts. Thegame, I love C7's. I'll get me one with the same color like yours, but a z51 vert. The interior on the C7, to me, is just awesome.

Last edited by 1993C4LT1; 08-26-2016 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:42 AM
Mr Angry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

IMO, having owned several C4's, a few C5's, and a C6, I keep coming back to the C4's as a weekend toy.

I HATED the C6. As soon as the "new, shiny" wore off, the car just dind't feel as good as I hoped. Now, part of that may be the C6 was a Z06, and they really tipped the scales to the performance category, and I was getting older, but I sold that car pretty quick.

The C5 made probably made the best overall car. My favorite was a C5 Z06, and I racked up 200k miles on it. It rode well, was very comfortable, and after I Procharged it, it had all the power I ever needed. I drove it all the time, and I had several other cars at the time including an '03 Cobra. The Vette was reliable, handled amazing, and even got decent mileage. I could fit things in it (more than the Cobra if you can believe it), and it traveled well.

Now, that brings me to the C4. To me, this is the last of the "classic" Vettes. It feels like a TRUE Vette, in the grand sense. Getting into it feels like an event, the body lines are absolutely stunning, and it doesn't feel like it sacrificed anything in the name of being more every day car. The C5 and C6 felt like I was getting into any average car, until I hit the key.

The C5 started the turn to change the Corvette into a more friendly car. Something the average person could live with. This isn't a good thing or bad thing really, it's just a thing.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr Angry:
95tealconvert (08-27-2016), kostas86 (08-29-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 08:51 AM
Mr Angry
Advanced

Originally Posted by aklim
And it is going to be easier to get a tune than to hear "We don't do that old stuff.".

My question is why that is so? Could it be that we told the manufacturer that we wanted it to be that way like they did with the 700R4? Could tuning to have a faster tip in make it better? If so that is not the system's fault but rather the user fault.
You're very right about the tune. All of my C5's and C6 were tuned after purchase, usually to dial in upgrades. But, the factory dials in a bit of smoothness with the stock tune, and it causes a delay in throttle response. After tune, all of them were very direct. I couldn't tell the difference between them and my C4's, or my built LT1 F Bodies, all cable driven.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:56 AM
Mr Angry
Advanced

Originally Posted by aklim
One other thing. Several shops have told me to give up on getting the C4 to seal up. Right now, I cannot take it to a car wash or I too get a wash. New weatherstrip and good installer and adjustment gets me wind noise and a bath. Supposedly they have found it easier to get the C5 and up to seal up enough so that it is drops that might come through in a car wash as opposed to a spray.

Right now, if I lost my C4 and got the money to build something, it will be a C5 and up for that reason and the simple reason that many here are saying that the C4s get more attention. I do everything I can to keep my car looking as low profile unless I have to. I don't want idiots coming to me telling me how good they think my car looks when they don't know Jack about cars and worse, people asking for a ride. If it isn't my wife or the attending mechanic, you don't get to sit in it even if you are a hottie on the street.

I had a similar problem with a '94 I had. After some digging, and getting a hold of some previous owners, I found out it was hit and repaired, and it was like that from then on. My other C4's were fine once new weather strip was installed.

My buddy had a similar problem that wound up being the top. It was tweaked a bit somehow over the years, possibly from poor storage (he got both tops and sold the glass top that was on the car, he didn't like it). He swapped tops with my '95, and the problem went away, and appeared on my car.

So, it could be either issue.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:59 AM
Mr Angry
Advanced

Originally Posted by thegame
C4 has always been part of the "brotherhood" it's a Corvette. You will always have ignorant stupid people. There is no fix for that. Just comes with the hobby.

Now I hear how my car is so ugly and has Camaro tail lights. I love my car and can care less what anyone except myself think about it.

Good god, that color combo gives me wood everytime I see it! Such an incredible looking car!
The following users liked this post:
jn1965 (02-09-2021)
Old 08-27-2016, 02:54 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Angry
Good god, that color combo gives me wood everytime I see it! Such an incredible looking car!
Wow thanks man ! I just washed her before!
Old 08-27-2016, 09:22 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Well Steve,I do like to stir the pot. I do love me some ZEEEEEEEEEEEEER-1. One main reason I prefer a C4 over a C5 they didn't make one of these.

FASTAZU (08-28-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 10:22 PM
93 lt1 vette
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I currently own a 93 and 04.

Positives for the C4

Close race car feel when buckled in behind the steering wheel.

Steering is way better, more positive interaction for the driver

Clearance on the front air-dam is better than the C5, especially when dealing with speed bumps much less scrapping when driving around town.

1st 300+ horsepower since 197x, A lot of dark days for muscle car guys.

Negatives for the C4

Rattles

Ride quality is harsh compared to the C5,

Tight for big guys.

Narrow seat profile

Only 300 horsepower, Lt1 is a dog compared to the LSX stock.

C5 positives

LS1!! I know on paper they're close but the LS1 pounds the LT1, sure there are factory freaks but real world there is no comparison. Sorry

Ride is much better

Huge trunk in the coupe

Better head room than the C4

Room to move around

No optispark

Plugs and wires are easy to change

C5 negatives

Air pressure sensors

Steering sensor

Front scrapes on anything two inches or taller.

Huge blindspot drivers side B-pillar area.
jn1965 (02-09-2021)
Old 08-27-2016, 10:49 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by 93 lt1 vette

Positives for the C4

Close race car feel when buckled in behind the steering wheel.

Clearance on the front air-dam is better than the C5, especially when dealing with speed bumps much less scrapping when driving around town.

1st 300+ horsepower since 197x, A lot of dark days for muscle car guys.

Negatives for the C4

Rattles

Tight for big guys.

Narrow seat profile

Only 300 horsepower, Lt1 is a dog compared to the LSX stock.

C5 positives

LS1!! I know on paper they're close but the LS1 pounds the LT1, sure there are factory freaks but real world there is no comparison. Sorry

Ride is much better

Huge trunk in the coupe

Better head room than the C4

Room to move around

No optispark

Plugs and wires are easy to change

C5 negatives

Air pressure sensors

Steering sensor

Huge blindspot drivers side B-pillar area.
You forgot one. The C5 has absolutely no personality. I see one and I get nothing.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:09 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Well Steve,I do like to stir the pot. I do love me some ZEEEEEEEEEEEEER-1. One main reason I prefer a C4 over a C5 they didn't make one of these.
And that's one beautiful ZEEARRAONE
Old 08-28-2016, 09:24 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

While I agree the C5 is a great road car...

Originally Posted by 93 lt1 vette

Positives for the C4

Close race car feel when buckled in behind the steering wheel. Agree love the cockpit feel

1st 300+ horsepower since 197x, A lot of dark days for muscle car guys. Well not so get a ZR-1

Negatives for the C4

Rattles Mine have none

Tight for big guys. Just right for us not so big guys

Narrow seat profile Keeps you in place

Only 300 horsepower, Lt1 is a dog compared to the LSX stock. Again easy fix get the right C4, prices are outstanding for a buyer right now

C5 positives

Great powerplant

Ride is much better agreed if you want a touring car

Huge trunk in the coupe maybe but it is easier to access

Better head room than the C4 I'll give it this one

Room to move around or slide around in the seat in a hard corner

No optispark apply s to the LT1/4

Plugs and wires are easy to change Agreed just remove the plastic covers

C5 negatives

Air pressure sensors never had any issues with them and actually a plus wish the C4 had them

Steering sensor

Huge blindspot drivers side B-pillar area. Just set the mirrors correctly same as C4

Get notified of new replies

To C4 vs C5 comparison, share your thoughts..

Old 08-28-2016, 10:20 AM
Mr Angry
Advanced

People love to hate on the LT1 and claim LS1 superiority, but realistically, stock for stock, the LS1 and LT1 run about dead nuts if the LT is well maintained. They are fickle motors, but have a nasty torque curve. My LT1's have always run neck and neck with my LS1 cars stock.

The LS1 has some advantages in the fact the aftermarket never really took off for the LT, and the LS has tons. But, I've built several LT1 engines, and you would be really surprised at how well they respond. Properly ported stock heads, a good cam, and a well sorted exhaust nets pretty good power, and they LOVE some nitrous. I made a name for myself around my home as an LS car's worst nightmare.

Not saying the LS is bad, but like always, so many people have jumped on the "new hotness" train. It happens every generation in the car world. For a long time it was the Fox 5.0, and Ford Windors. Then it was the Toyota 2JZ. Before all of that, it was the old Big Block Chevy. The LT1 was glossed over in its short lifespan, since the Windsor was still the king, and the 2JZ was coming into its prime. The 2J was short lived due to cost, and the LS sort of took over the spotlight.

Give it a couple years, and the LS will be on its way out. In a way, it sort of already is. People are tired of seeing LS's in everything, and have started looking to alternatives. They've started using Ford Coyote engines, Mopar Hemis, and everything else just to be different.

I have a suspicion that once the new Chevy LT engine starts becoming readily available, the LS will be a fond memory.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:33 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mr Angry
People love to hate on the LT1 and claim LS1 superiority, but realistically, stock for stock, the LS1 and LT1 run about dead nuts if the LT is well maintained. They are fickle motors, but have a nasty torque curve. My LT1's have always run neck and neck with my LS1 cars stock.

The LS1 has some advantages in the fact the aftermarket never really took off for the LT, and the LS has tons. But, I've built several LT1 engines, and you would be really surprised at how well they respond. Properly ported stock heads, a good cam, and a well sorted exhaust nets pretty good power, and they LOVE some nitrous. I made a name for myself around my home as an LS car's worst nightmare.
So what happens when your modded LT meets an equally modded LS? Better yet, what happens as we go up the curve, dollar for dollar? My hunch is that at the beginning, you two will be neck to neck but as you go up, sooner or later, you will hit a wall while the LS has room for more.

Last edited by aklim; 08-28-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:47 AM
Mr Angry
Advanced

Originally Posted by bow tie guy
I disagree strongly ! Mopar Hemis, and everything else just to be different

The cost to make horsepower "bang for the buck" has never been lower LS truck engines are the motors making the marks

The cost of the mopar hemi or ford coyote to be different would empty the wallet 4:1

When Ford and mopar make full size short bed trucks that do 10's with junkyard stock block 4.8's I'll buy one untill then I'm an LS bow tie guy

Well, its not always about maximum horsepower. And 4:1 is way off. 2:1 maybe, but its very easy to pull power from Coyote engines, whether LS fans want to admit it or not.

Mopar did sort of screw themselves in 1 aspect, they made their engine management systems impossible to work with. Most of the guys I've seen use Mopar Hemis went to some sort of aftermarket system. The engines themselves are quite good, especially an SRT.

Fwiw, your view on the LS was the same as the Ford Windsor guys back in the day. "Why would I build that when I can go get blah blah parts from a junkyard and do more".

We have a while yet before the LS engines start drying up, but they are starting to go up in price. The coyote is a new engine, and the platform only recently started being used outside the Mustang.

GM did 1 thing right with the LS series engines. They put them in EVERYTHING. There's millions of them floating around.

Ford and Mopar tend not to do that as much, but lets be honest, theres a ton of Rams in junkyards with Hemi engines, as well as Chargers and 300's. People are starting to find them.

The LS has several more good years before they start to dry up, but as always, something will be there to replace it.

Quick Reply: C4 vs C5 comparison, share your thoughts..