C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

91 alternator issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 09:58 AM
woody41
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 91 alternator issues

Add me to the alternator issues list. I installed a new AC Delco alt. in June, it lasted until 2 weeks ago. Original owner paid over $250 for a 'lifetime warranty' one from Chevy dealer in 2008 (car was parked in 2010 until I bought it in May 2014) which died this summer. NAPA has rebuilt one coming in for me and Rock Auto is going to replace the piece I bought this summer, at least now I will have a spare. Almost like the old days of daily driving British sports cars and carrying spares. I'm looking at a 93 auto with low miles right now, I'm guessing same issues with alternators on the LT 1 engines???
Old 08-25-2016, 12:33 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

If it makes you feel better and you want to be proactive, I would suggest taking it and the starter out to a local rebuild shop with a GREAT reputation. That way you can see what the health is and maybe watch what they put in so you know you are getting quality parts.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:09 PM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by woody41
Add me to the alternator issues list. I installed a new AC Delco alt. in June, it lasted until 2 weeks ago. Original owner paid over $250 for a 'lifetime warranty' one from Chevy dealer in 2008 (car was parked in 2010 until I bought it in May 2014) which died this summer. NAPA has rebuilt one coming in for me and Rock Auto is going to replace the piece I bought this summer, at least now I will have a spare. Almost like the old days of daily driving British sports cars and carrying spares. I'm looking at a 93 auto with low miles right now, I'm guessing same issues with alternators on the LT 1 engines???
The later LT1 (I think 94 and up, not sure of that) used the CS144 alternator which is much heavier and more reliable. I converted my 86 (easy conversion) to one of these about 10 years ago and I've never had any more problems.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:23 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
If it makes you feel better and you want to be proactive, I would suggest taking it and the starter out to a local rebuild shop with a GREAT reputation. That way you can see what the health is and maybe watch what they put in so you know you are getting quality parts.
Around here no one gets to watch LOL. Drop off and pick up no while you wait service at all. I can almost promise you no matter what it says on the box for brand it is not made in the USA and not likely OEM specs either.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:40 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
Around here no one gets to watch LOL. Drop off and pick up no while you wait service at all. I can almost promise you no matter what it says on the box for brand it is not made in the USA and not likely OEM specs either.
Ask around. I have a few places that are like you say and a few that bring me back to look at what they have found. Last time I was there, they took out the alternator with me and we put it into the tester and I was with it till it was back in the truck
Old 08-28-2016, 11:00 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
- not too may shops want the customer looking over the shoulder of the tech. they want you in and out as fast as possible and paid up in full -

Last edited by Joe C; 08-28-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:12 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Joe C
- not too may shop want the customer looking over the shoulder of the tech. they want you in and out as fast as possible and paid up in full -
I agree but they are out there where they don't mind so much especially if you bring in some donuts.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:27 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
I agree but they are out there where they don't mind so much especially if you bring in some donuts.
well, I usually rebuild my own, besides, if anybody's eating donuts, it's going to be yours truly!
Old 08-28-2016, 03:51 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Drop into your local municipal garage or truck terminal and ask them who they use to rebuild starters and alternator/generators. Ask the rebuilder what brand diode assys and bearings they use. Since they are dealing with a small group of repeat customers they shouldn't skimp on quality. Don't give up your oem equipment in exchange for auto store junk rebuilt God knows where and by whom.

Get notified of new replies

To 91 alternator issues

Quick Reply: 91 alternator issues