Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 08:29 PM
jseremba
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Default hatch not opening

hello everybody

i own a 1989 z51 6 spd corvette
the hatch is not opening. Power is getting to the relay and the relay has been replaced. I am reading pg 8A 134-3 Table 1
Fused jumper between brn/wt and grnd. Hatch solenoid clicks Is the hatch open or closed. or it does not matter solenoid has a two plug connector, correct
Table 3 jumper between orn and blk. hatch is open/closed?

Just read that the park brake must be on for the hatch to work. So all of the hatch releases need the parking brake as a ground or the hatch will not work?

Thank you

Just got my lighter working. It's the little victories.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:17 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Back 8 years ago the Hatch Release Solenoid on my 88 quit working and that part was the problem on releasing the glass hatch.
If your struts have not been replaced I should you do. You'll be surprised how fast the hatch opens full. Much harder to close though.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:30 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
Back 8 years ago the Hatch Release Solenoid on my 88 quit working and that part was the problem on releasing the glass hatch.
If your struts have not been replaced I should you do. You'll be surprised how fast the hatch opens full. Much harder to close though.
Have someone lift up on it as you hit the button.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:41 PM
RICHARD TILL
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don`t know about an 89 but my 90 has a short wire thats hidden underneath the carpet. It`ll trip the hatch solenoid without power. Might help if it`s there on yours.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:13 AM
RedCorvette1988
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I had a 89 and a couple times the hatch wouldn't open -- I opened it with the wire that has been mentioned and it would work again. Not sure what was going on it only happened a couple times. This also happened with a 86 We had.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:39 AM
jseremba
Drifting

Originally Posted by RedCorvette1988
I had a 89 and a couple times the hatch wouldn't open -- I opened it with the wire that has been mentioned and it would work again. Not sure what was going on it only happened a couple times. This also happened with a 86 We had.
Thank you all.
A couple of things
1) When I google hatch relay I get a picture of the 1979 through 1989 horn/hatch relay. It looks like the horn and the hatch relay are one and the same. Is that possible. next to it is another relay that looks like the fuel pump relay. It has four wires going into it. None of the wires have power key on or off.

2) where is the wire you used to activate the hatch solenoid located.

3) I ordered new struts mine are NFG.

Being have the dash apart I would like to be able to eliminate the relay as the source of my problem. So if anyone knows where it is or what it looks like please chime in thank you.

Last edited by jseremba; 08-27-2016 at 09:43 AM. Reason: update
Old 08-27-2016, 09:48 AM
jseremba
Drifting

Originally Posted by jseremba
Thank you all.
A couple of things
1) When I google hatch relay I get a picture of the 1979 through 1989 horn/hatch relay. It looks like the horn and the hatch relay are one and the same. Is that possible. next to it is another relay that looks like the fuel pump relay. It has four wires going into it. None of the wires have power key on or off.

2) where is the wire you used to activate the hatch solenoid located.

3) I ordered new struts mine are NFG.

Being have the dash apart I would like to be able to eliminate the relay as the source of my problem. So if anyone knows where it is or what it looks like please chime in thank you.

I disconnected the solenoid from the wiring harness. Ran a ground wire and put my test lamp on the connector to the solenoid. The test lamp is on when the solenoid is in the hatch open position. And it is off when the plunger is down.
When the hatch is open and I apply voltage to the solenoid. The solenoid should click, correct?
Old 08-27-2016, 12:38 PM
jseremba
Drifting

Default update

I disconnected the solenoid from the wiring harness. Ran a ground wire and put my test lamp on the connector to the solenoid. The test lamp is on when the solenoid is in the hatch open position. And it is off when the plunger is down.
When the hatch is open and I apply voltage to the solenoid. The solenoid should click, correct?
I found the hatch relay in the facia under the rear hatch. There is an orange power wire and a black wire and a brown/white wire I read in a nother post, but lost it that crossing the orange with the brown/white wire should open the hatch, is this correct.
I connected the two wires, hatch was up no relay in place and nothing from the solenoid, no clicks nothing. Is it the solenoid or am I doing the test wrong.
Thank you
Old 08-27-2016, 12:43 PM
RedCorvette1988
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

The wire I am talking about is a small pull cable in the solenoid latch itself. After getting back to it I used a mirror and flashlight to find it. -- Its behind the pull-out cover that is used to cover luggage. Its not a electric wire.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:13 PM
jseremba
Drifting

Originally Posted by RedCorvette1988
The wire I am talking about is a small pull cable in the solenoid latch itself. After getting back to it I used a mirror and flashlight to find it. -- Its behind the pull-out cover that is used to cover luggage. Its not a electric wire.
I did know about that wire.

I pressed the hood latches on the door and center console. I can definitely hear a click. So the solenoid is operating. But, it is not opening the hatch. So I have new struts coming in the mail. Should I order a solenoid or install the struts and see what happens.

Thank you
Old 08-27-2016, 02:32 PM
RedCorvette1988
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I did know about that wire.

I pressed the hood latches on the door and center console. I can definitely hear a click. So the solenoid is operating. But, it is not opening the hatch. So I have new struts coming in the mail. Should I order a solenoid or install the struts and see what happens.

Thank you
I did neither-- just opened with hatch with the wire then the solenoid started working correctly.

Hope it does the same for you .
Old 08-27-2016, 08:00 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

I found the hatch relay in the facia under the rear hatch. There is an orange power wire and a black wire and a brown/white wire I read in a nother post, but lost it that crossing the orange with the brown/white wire should open the hatch, is this correct.
I connected the two wires, hatch was up no relay in place and nothing from the solenoid, no clicks nothing. Is it the solenoid or am I doing the test wrong.
Thank you
Yes, the solenoid will click. Remove the solenoid and the put the wire harness back on to see if the piston moves when the hatch button is moved. This little (but not cheap) part gets a lot of work.

Get notified of new replies

To hatch not opening

Quick Reply: hatch not opening