C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 pricing. Think about this first.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 03:33 AM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Dumas
I agree C5 prices are falling and will drive C4 prices lower. I've been in the market for a new C4 since I lost mine in July. I haven't been able to find one that I feel is a good value in my area. 100K clean cars are being put up for sale for over 10K. Cars with issues like no A/c or stereo, worn tires are up for 7-8K. I am looking at 2 sub 10K C5's this weekend, a 90K 6 speed convert for 9500 and a 97 coupe 6 speed for about the same. Both very clean, new tires and maintenance history's. I just can't justify paying the same price or higher for a similar mileage C4.
You need to remember the C4 and C5 are very different cars. A 10k C5 is not necessarily a better car than a 10k C4. Newer does not mean better in every single way. The no. 1 reason C4 owners are Not jumping ship and sellling their C4s to get into the C5 buyer's mkt is bc the C5 is just not nearly as fun to drive. Its the modern Vette that is also the C6 & 7. Bigger, more comfortable, more practical, faster sure but not the same road and drive feel.

The C4 is everything the C5 couldn't have been and thats a good thing

Last edited by jay23ls; 09-22-2016 at 03:34 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jay23ls:
Jon Hekking (09-22-2016), rfn026 (09-22-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 10:29 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 241 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

Originally Posted by jay23ls
You need to remember the C4 and C5 are very different cars. A 10k C5 is not necessarily a better car than a 10k C4. Newer does not mean better in every single way. The no. 1 reason C4 owners are Not jumping ship and sellling their C4s to get into the C5 buyer's mkt is bc the C5 is just not nearly as fun to drive. Its the modern Vette that is also the C6 & 7. Bigger, more comfortable, more practical, faster sure but not the same road and drive feel.

The C4 is everything the C5 couldn't have been and thats a good thing
Having owned both, I think you're wrong. The power, fit and ride of a C5 are far superior. The M6 coupe is a blast to drive.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:23 AM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Whats with all the concern of value. The only time it matters is when you're buying or when you're selling. I feel the vast majority of forum members are owners and not really effected by the potential sale price of their car.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:30 PM
CCRed
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon Hekking
Having owned both, I think you're wrong. The power, fit and ride of a C5 are far superior. The M6 coupe is a blast to drive.

For those of us who work on them the C4 is much easier with its full tilting hood. I don't think anyone will argue that point.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:51 PM
bearfan1985
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was so excited when I saw my 87 convertible, I had been looking for a convertible for 3 years and didn't want to pay more than $7,000. I actually looked at all kinds of model cars and then I saw the red 87 corvette with red interior and 58,000 miles. I thought $6600 was a good deal and when I drove it I felt really happy. And then I started to read all the derogatory remarks about c4's and how they couldn't give them away. Then I found myself almost embarrassed to drive it. I have now come to the conclusion that only other year vette owners or car snobs look down on c4's and most people on the street think it is a nice car.
I love the car and if it had been a higher price I would have passed it up, probably would not have even seen it. Thing that puzzles me is how rare a c4 corvette, especially a convertible, is in my area (Chicago area).
Old 09-24-2016, 04:19 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

The only improvement that I would have liked the C4 to have that really improved the C5 is the hydro-formed frame. The C4 was a tremendous knowledge base for GM and without it, none of the newer Vettes would have been possible. With the complete departure from the independent frame, such as the C1,2 and 3's have, the C4 was a tremendous change in direction, for good or for bad.

The bad, as I see it, no more frame off resto's, in the sense that you do frame off resto's to the prior gens.

We get lots of words of appreciation, thumbs up, etc with ours. People have come up to us at the grocery store and told us how much they like the car.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:14 PM
CCRed
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bearfan1985
I was so excited when I saw my 87 convertible, I had been looking for a convertible for 3 years and didn't want to pay more than $7,000. I actually looked at all kinds of model cars and then I saw the red 87 corvette with red interior and 58,000 miles. I thought $6600 was a good deal and when I drove it I felt really happy. And then I started to read all the derogatory remarks about c4's and how they couldn't give them away. Then I found myself almost embarrassed to drive it. I have now come to the conclusion that only other year vette owners or car snobs look down on c4's and most people on the street think it is a nice car.
I love the car and if it had been a higher price I would have passed it up, probably would not have even seen it. Thing that puzzles me is how rare a c4 corvette, especially a convertible, is in my area (Chicago area).
They are getting pretty rare around here, WV and Michigan as well. Cant speak for other areas. But then again, a '84 is over 30 years old. I think one of the biggest problems is they were built really well. I have seen quite a few drivers that look almost as good as some stored examples.
Gotta love that fiberglass.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:43 PM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by bearfan1985
And then I started to read all the derogatory remarks about c4's and how they couldn't give them away. Then I found myself almost embarrassed to drive it. I have now come to the conclusion that only other year vette owners or car snobs look down on c4's and most people on the street think it is a nice car.
Who cares what anyone else thinks? I've kept my 96 for 20 years, not because I hoped it would be a good investment but because I enjoyed it. Some years I drove it a lot, some years not at all and I just dropped 3.5k into it to get it road worthy again. I never considered selling it because there's nothing like squeezing into the drivers seat, turning the key and feeling it come to life. To me it was never a status symbol, just my personal F-14. I've been retired for 8 years now and I'll let my heirs obsess on the value after I'm gone.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:03 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by CCRed

INSURANCE - Some C4's qualify for classic car insurance now. If you have a decent driving record and the car is in good shape you can get a stated value policy of around 20k for under $200.00 a year.
Not reading through all 5 pages and maybe this was already said, but be careful with classic car status...many states have conditions for classic car status. In NH you can drive a car with classic plates (and classic insurance that goes with it) only to car shows, parades, special events, or similar...daily driving for errands or even occasional driving to work puts you out of classic car status.

Will the cops get you because you did the latter with classic plates? Probably not, but if you're in an accident that was your fault it won't be hard for your insurance company to prove you weren't driving to a car show or car parade. And the guy you just hit that now has $500,000 in medical bills will be coming after you to cover!

Last edited by bac22; 09-28-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:37 PM
CGretired
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a 91 recently. For the mileage and price ($13k and 45k miles), I thought I got a pretty good deal. The C4 design was always my favorite look. A week after I bought it I won first place for a C4 at a Corvette Club sponsored event near my house. I am really happy with the car. I may sell it in a few years when I look more ridiculous getting out of it than I do now. Lord willing I will make a few bucks on it when I do.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:38 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Probably not, but if you're in an accident that was your fault it won't be hard for your insurance company to prove you weren't driving to a car show or car parade. And the guy you just hit that now has $500,000 in medical bills will be coming after you to cover!
Yup..and in that case youll be paying for the rest of your life
Worth it to save a few bux think again.
out here classic plates are pretty strictly enforced decided it wasnt worth it.

Quick Reply: C4 pricing. Think about this first.