C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1989 Corvette Sputters When Warmed Up

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 11:33 PM
Greasemonky8
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Corvette Sputters When Warmed Up

Hey guys i ran into a problem in my corvette that i cant figure out.

my friend gifted me his 89 corvette, it wasn't running when i got it.
changed the battery, changed the oil and filter, air filter, fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, coil pack, and 02 sensor and i used a fuel cleaner to help remove gunk and stuff from the combustion system. problem is the car starts to sputter when it starts to warm up. when its cold it'll start just fine but after like 3-5 minutes the car starts to hesitate and wanting to turn off. fuel pressure is fine just recently tested, spark is good. the only theory i have is that maybe the new 02 sensor may have been faulty. additional details is that the car has been sitting for a couple of years. my friend turned it on once in a while so the oil wouldn't sit there for too long.

any theories? i have no clue about what to do now.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:53 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Could be but I would test the ignition module and don't forget the thermal grease.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:09 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,231 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Originally Posted by Greasemonky8
changed the battery, changed the oil and filter, air filter, fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, coil pack, and 02 sensor and i used a fuel cleaner to help remove gunk and stuff from the combustion system.

problem is the car starts to sputter when it starts to warm up. when its cold it'll start just fine but after like 3-5 minutes the car starts to hesitate and wanting to turn off.

fuel pressure is fine just recently tested, spark is good.
Why did you change the fuel pump and coil? What made you think they were bad? Fuel cleaner? Good joke but until they can prove something, you bought a can of snake oil.

Check this first. Disconnect the MAF sensor and see if it runs better. Also, did you clean the entire throttle body by removing the IAC and the IAC housing and clean the passages?

What did you do to test fuel pressure? Did you test it while it was turned to run but engine off and did the pressure hold? Did you test it with the engine running in idle and the fuel pressure regulator hose off? Did you do a WOT run?

Spark is good? Did you check the wires? Do you know if the harmonic balancer is good? What was the timing?
Old 09-16-2016, 08:15 PM
Greasemonky8
Cruising

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Could be but I would test the ignition module and don't forget the thermal grease.
the ignition module was replaced and thermal grease was applied and still same result.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:24 PM
Greasemonky8
Cruising

Originally Posted by aklim
Why did you change the fuel pump and coil? What made you think they were bad? Fuel cleaner? Good joke but until they can prove something, you bought a can of snake oil.

Check this first. Disconnect the MAF sensor and see if it runs better. Also, did you clean the entire throttle body by removing the IAC and the IAC housing and clean the passages?

What did you do to test fuel pressure? Did you test it while it was turned to run but engine off and did the pressure hold? Did you test it with the engine running in idle and the fuel pressure regulator hose off? Did you do a WOT run?

Spark is good? Did you check the wires? Do you know if the harmonic balancer is good? What was the timing?
fuel pump was stuck so i replaced it, coil was giving a weak spark so i replaced that along with the ignition module. ill have to try to disconnect the MAF and get back to you on that. for fuel pressure i used the fule pressure gauge that connects to the fuel line. the pressure was a little bit low by like 3 psi but its the same as when the car runs fine (when its cold) so i know im getting a consistent pump. i didnt test if it held pressure. tested when the car was running until it started sputtering, and tested the KOEO fuel pressure.

im not familiar with WOT.. what test is that? i googled it and it gave me world of tanks.

havent checked the harmonic balancer yet.

i'll get back to you guys when i do these tests
Old 09-16-2016, 08:28 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

WOT = wide open throttle.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:33 PM
Greasemonky8
Cruising

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
WOT = wide open throttle.
When its cold the wide open throttle works as it should. Once it warms up though when you step on the gas the car backfires and sputters worst like it wants to turn off
Old 09-16-2016, 09:51 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Sounds like it could be a o2 did you use a universal?
Old 09-16-2016, 10:39 PM
aklim
Team Owner

When its cold the wide open throttle works as it should. Once it warms up though when you step on the gas the car backfires and sputters worst like it wants to turn off
That doesn't say much. The reason we do a WOT run is to see what the pump delivers under load. Especially useful when things get up to temp so you can see if the electronic part works ok when cold and not so good when hot.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:23 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

I suggest replacing the spark plug wires, based on having had similar symptoms when I had a bad plug wire.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:34 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
I suggest replacing the spark plug wires, based on having had similar symptoms when I had a bad plug wire.
Maybe spray a fine water mist around the wires when the engine is running in a dark garage?
Old 09-17-2016, 06:45 PM
Greasemonky8
Cruising

Maybe spray a fine water mist around the wires when the engine is running in a dark garage?
i will try that tonight
Old 09-17-2016, 06:48 PM
Greasemonky8
Cruising

That doesn't say much. The reason we do a WOT run is to see what the pump delivers under load. Especially useful when things get up to temp so you can see if the electronic part works ok when cold and not so good when hot.
i tried that when the car was running cold and the psi would jump up into the correct range for the corvette, but when it started sputtering the psi maintained the pressure as if it wasnt under load.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:50 PM
Greasemonky8
Cruising

the psi reads the correct pressure for the car which was like 45 i believe. once it warmed up though the the psi maintained the pressure as if the car wasnt under load.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:05 PM
Greasemonky8
Cruising

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Sounds like it could be a o2 did you use a universal?
i bought it from autozone. brand is bosch and according to autozone webiste it says its o.e. type not universal
Old 09-17-2016, 10:50 PM
aklim
Team Owner

the psi reads the correct pressure for the car which was like 45 i believe. once it warmed up though the the psi maintained the pressure as if the car wasnt under load.
All that is good but we still don't know if it can maintain 45 psi when it is under load which needs more fuel than when it is not. AFAIK, 5000 rpm under load take more fuel than 5000 rpm with the gear in neutral or park. If you know it works under extreme conditions, we can rule out the pump. So it is good to know what the fuel pressure is doing a WOT run. Leaks show up more under load. Without load, the pump might be able to keep up.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:56 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

"Runs fine when cold...but after it warms up" is classic for electrical "stuff". I'm thinking injectors succumbing to alcohol.

(Prior to 93, OE injectors were susceptible to alcohol - the insulation of the internal coil windings would fail and the windings would come in contact with one another - shorting out. As the situation progresses, more of the windings short, indicated by the lower resistance. But, as the windings short to one another, the magnetic field that is generated to act upon the (valve) is diminished and the fuel flow is reduced and eventually cut off.)

Once the car is warmed up, and the idle "sputtering" has begun, measure the resistance of each injector. They should all be within an ohm across the lot (most read 14 ohms, but some center around 12 ohms).

IF ANY of them reading exceptionally low, e.g., close (say) to 10, that is an injector that is going bad. By the time one gets to 8 ohms or less, the injector is in serious trouble - passing little if any fuel at all.

If you do find an injector(s) displaying low resistance (again...they may first need to be up to operating temp), replace the entire set with new, alcohol-tolerant injectors. (Jon at FIC can set you up with NEW STAINLESS injectors. Don't be tempted to buy any so-called reconditioned ones, unless you just love repeating this rough-running scenario...over and over.)

FYI, I had an injector go bad, and also one of the intake valves in that same cylinder was also burnt. I suspect the excessive lean condition was the cause. My theory seems to be borne out, as the motor had under 40k miles at the time, and now has just over 60k with NO problems.*

*The injectors were replaced by a Chevy dealer before I bought the car - a ZR-1. It only took a couple years before they went bad again. Turns out the dealer installed new old stock (NOS) injectors - and they were doomed from the start: just a matter of tine.

Anyway... Test 'em (while HOT) first. IF you have even ONE that is bad, that's the signal to change 'em ALL.
The following users liked this post:
Greasemonky8 (09-18-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 Corvette Sputters When Warmed Up

Old 09-18-2016, 01:24 PM
Greasemonky8
Cruising

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
"Runs fine when cold...but after it warms up" is classic for electrical "stuff". I'm thinking injectors succumbing to alcohol.

(Prior to 93, OE injectors were susceptible to alcohol - the insulation of the internal coil windings would fail and the windings would come in contact with one another - shorting out. As the situation progresses, more of the windings short, indicated by the lower resistance. But, as the windings short to one another, the magnetic field that is generated to act upon the (valve) is diminished and the fuel flow is reduced and eventually cut off.)

Once the car is warmed up, and the idle "sputtering" has begun, measure the resistance of each injector. They should all be within an ohm across the lot (most read 14 ohms, but some center around 12 ohms).

IF ANY of them reading exceptionally low, e.g., close (say) to 10, that is an injector that is going bad. By the time one gets to 8 ohms or less, the injector is in serious trouble - passing little if any fuel at all.

If you do find an injector(s) displaying low resistance (again...they may first need to be up to operating temp), replace the entire set with new, alcohol-tolerant injectors. (Jon at FIC can set you up with NEW STAINLESS injectors. Don't be tempted to buy any so-called reconditioned ones, unless you just love repeating this rough-running scenario...over and over.)

FYI, I had an injector go bad, and also one of the intake valves in that same cylinder was also burnt. I suspect the excessive lean condition was the cause. My theory seems to be borne out, as the motor had under 40k miles at the time, and now has just over 60k with NO problems.*

*The injectors were replaced by a Chevy dealer before I bought the car - a ZR-1. It only took a couple years before they went bad again. Turns out the dealer installed new old stock (NOS) injectors - and they were doomed from the start: just a matter of tine.

Anyway... Test 'em (while HOT) first. IF you have even ONE that is bad, that's the signal to change 'em ALL.
thanks man.. i will give this a shot as soon as i can (probably next week)
Old 09-18-2016, 01:36 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Paul Workman

Sounds like a plan but why bother? They are going to be susceptible to alcohol if they are Mulecs. Why not just get new ones and be done with it? Sooner or later, it is going to happen anyways. If not today then tomorrow.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:20 PM
mcguirjf
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Check eBay for deal on reman injectors that are Bosch 3's.
https://fuelinjectorconnection.com

Here is a series of videos to help you diagnose.

When I rebuilt my 1989 I immediately tossed the old injectors.

Quick Reply: 1989 Corvette Sputters When Warmed Up