Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

My 1984 Crossfire Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 01:54 PM
Stern82
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! There is a lot of great info in this thread! I too own a 1984 Corvette and have been researching on here how to get some more power out of it on a budget and here it all is in an updated thread. Keep us posted on the Renegade install and your opinion on any performance increase!
Old 09-22-2016, 02:19 PM
RustyCFI
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will do Stern. I will be giving both SOTP feeling and I am doing a chassis dyno with the guys down the street. I will post the dyno results. Also, I plan on running it down the strip and will post the time slips too. I bought the Renegade instead of porting for a few reasons. Mainly I wanted to keep the stock one and display it. But I found that a lot of people who posted pictures that ported it only port matched the holes and didn't seem to carry the porting down the long runner, which wouldn't give too much of an increase. Instead of making a mistake during that process I felt an OEM replacement was better, especially one that seemed to solve quite a few other issues too and still kept tuned runners.

Also, I finally found that second PCV valve on the drivers side, got one on order:
Part number 101252 at Ecklers

Picked up part number 103176 to replace my fuel door springs too. One is missing and the other one is shot. I think its causing a slight tapping sound over bumps from it not holding the fuel door down.

Also Stern, when you are doing your research, think about how you want the car to perform. I designed my torque band to start around 900-1000 to 4000 rpms with around a 3500 rpm peak. This way when I am driving around on the street I am in the middle of my torque band and would give me the most amount of fun out of it. Drag radials (with stiff sidewalls for street which is the tires I got) and a stiff rear helps keep that down. Don't aim for a HP target. Me keeping the torque band down low gives me a lower HP number than if I pushed it up higher (HP = Torque*RPM/5252). However, I went for how I wanted the car to perform rather than an HP goal. Also, read a lot of what is on Grumpy's webpage, he has a ton of info on there.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:37 AM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 997 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by RustyCFI
Will do Buccaneer. Renegade goes in tomorrow afternoon after I am done golfing with some clients. From your signature, are you an owner of DCS? My Renegade has the DCS branding on it =)

For people following this and wondering how much was spent on parts, here is the list:
Engine oil cooler = FLX-3951 = $100
Transmission oil cooler = FLX-4116 = $50
Muffler = MPE-12158 = $210
Narrow X-pipe = 555-30428 = $100
Other piping, elbows, hangers = $170
Timing chain cover = SUM-G6300W = $33
Dayco belt = $32
Camshaft = 12-235-2 = $120
Lifters = 812-16 = $80
Timing chain = 249-3200 = $42
180F T-stat and cam break in oil = $30
Head bolt set, valve cover tabs, shims, misc = $70
Renegade intake manifold = $550
Full gasket kit = $150
Fluids, filters = $200 (approx)
Secondary gasket kit and seals (back ups in case I screw something up) = $100

Roughly $1700 or so, give or take a few stuff here and there for other small stuff not listed here that totals under $100. Push rod length will be double checked to make sure it's good.

Will post more photos tomorrow during renegade install and status of current exhaust piping that will be replaced.
Yep, I am one of two owners. Jim and I developed that manifold along with a well known manifold manufacturer. Does that manifold have a serial number on it by chance? We only went to 100 on those. Production serial number 0001 was never offered for sale. I have pre-production manifold 0001 on my motor.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 09-23-2016 at 03:38 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:29 AM
RustyCFI
Advanced

I'll check for the serial number, where is it stamped?
Old 09-23-2016, 08:32 AM
Stern82
Navigator

I honestly really like your goals as far hp and torque and the rpm curve. This is something that is going to take me years to do but I am ok with that. My knowledge on engines is very basic but I want to do all of the work myself so it will be a learning process. Funny you mention Grumpy's site as I just happened to stumble on that a few days ago. And you are right, there is a ton of info on there. I have also found a gentleman on You Tube who is constantly working on his Crossfire and has been a good source of info as far as fixing a lot of little problems. His goal is to keep it as it came from the factory I believe. Anyway, you should check him out. His username on there is 3DELTA7. Heck, is probably on here for all I know....
Old 09-23-2016, 09:03 AM
RustyCFI
Advanced

I'll definitely have to check him out. My current goal this year is to make it look stock too, but it isn't going to sound like it!
Old 09-24-2016, 12:50 AM
RustyCFI
Advanced

Took off the throttle bodies, valve covers, and adjusted the position of some of the accessories today to make working in there easier. Got my first look at the valvetrain. Will get some pictures of it but my hands were way too dirty to start grabbing my phone. However, I do have to say that my rockers and springs are amazingly clean, like absurdly so. I was expecting some gunk and such for a car that is 32 years old, but nothing. Makes me think that someone might have replaced some components before I took ownership. Anyone have a picture of the stock rockers on the stock heads?
Old 09-24-2016, 04:06 AM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 997 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by RustyCFI
I'll check for the serial number, where is it stamped?
SN is located if there is one, on the top of the EGR block right along the top plate area. See arrow in pic.

SN will be at arrow on EGR block.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 09-24-2016 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:25 AM
Stern82
Navigator

How is the install going?
Old 09-26-2016, 12:31 PM
RustyCFI
Advanced

Going well, should be working on it more tomorrow and Wednesday. Wife wanted to go to a winery and apple picking over the weekend. Kinda wished I had the vette up and running for that trip until I saw the dirt and gravel roads. On friday I took off the throttle bodies and the valve covers. Below is a picture of when I took off the throttle bodies, notice the nest I found in the lower left hand side too. Will post pictures of the valvetrain later on and the new camshaft going in which should be tomorrow. Valvetrain was exceptionally clean. The old valve cover gasket looks like it was a cheap rubber one, I am replacing it with a fel pro cork one.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:32 PM
RustyCFI
Advanced

Removed a lot of the accessories and the old intake manifold and a few other things, here is the progress so far:

Picture of the rockers, still got to strip off the valve cover gasket that was practically flaking off:

Head casting stamp:

More stamps on the heads:

Renegade intake manifold before install (don't see a serial number but you can see the DCS stamp):

Bottom end view of the top plate of the old intake manifold:

Inside of the old intake manifold while it was still on:

Marking the distributor and plugs:

Smog pump out:

Intake manifold out:

Old gaskets needed to be peeled off, its so old, but still the difference in size of the holes of the heads compared to the old intake manifold is insane, here is the old intake manifold holes:

Some type of stamp on the old intake manifold:

Intake manifold off, t-stat out (new housing and t-stat going in), smog pump out, distributor and other stuff out. Well, think thats enough for today for me. Will do more later on:

The following users liked this post:
Stern82 (09-30-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 07:37 PM
RustyCFI
Advanced

Also, before anyone says anything about one of those pictures, yes I did an oops and some of the coolant that was still in the intake manifold fell out while I was taking it out and got in there.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:01 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I didn't see a tally including the beer price. good post. thanks
Old 09-29-2016, 05:54 PM
RustyCFI
Advanced

Haha, usually go through a six pack each day we work on it. So I say three six packs down so far. Taking our time and having fun with it, lots of bantering as usual. He was also one of my groomsmen last year.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:02 PM
RustyCFI
Advanced

Picked up an 880 block out of an old 2000 chevy truck in a nearby junkyard. $50 for the short block. Going to be using that for the table I am making him.

His grandmother had to be admitted into the hospital. Waiting for her status before we continue so he can spend time with her.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:14 AM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

While your going through it take a good look at the harmonic balancer, the rubber likes to begin to split between the two metal halves.

If you decide to pull then replace the timing chain.

The factory timing chain set has a plastic toothed sprocket.
once that plastic starts to break down it has been known to plug up the oil pickup.

In my 84 it fit a double roller no prob, i did not have to relieve anything for clearance.

And they make this one piece oil pan gasket, it's very good, replaces the multi piece oem gasket.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:05 PM
dmueller1984
Heel & Toe

Default 300 hp

Originally Posted by Gibbles
While your going through it take a good look at the harmonic balancer, the rubber likes to begin to split between the two metal halves.

If you decide to pull then replace the timing chain.

The factory timing chain set has a plastic toothed sprocket.
once that plastic starts to break down it has been known to plug up the oil pickup.

In my 84 it fit a double roller no prob, i did not have to relieve anything for clearance.

And they make this one piece oil pan gasket, it's very good, replaces the multi piece oem gasket.
I have the Renegade, 1.6 rollers and exhaust. Wondering what cam and heads are best match. Thinking of Trick flow heads and one of these cams. Crane 114132, 114122. Power max 2040. Compcam 12-235-2. Which is best? Buccaneer, any place to still get a ham.board for the EBL flash? Hate to cut wires. Grumpy has A LOT of info.

Get notified of new replies

To My 1984 Crossfire Build

Old 10-03-2016, 03:24 PM
RustyCFI
Advanced

I went with the 12-235-2, going in within the next few days. I can't go too radical with valve lift since I still have original heads so I have the original 1.5 stamped rockers in there.

Gibbles: I am replacing the timing chain and will see if the rubber split there, thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:47 PM
dmueller1984
Heel & Toe

Default 300 hp

I had to replace my PS rack. While in there we also noted that the rubber was cracked on the harmonic balancer. Replaced it while you could see it. 132k. Good advice.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:37 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

For heads lots of options there, i have my build posted in one of the renegade intake threads at grumpys garage with full details on what i did, feel free to post and work out your build where i left off.

Depending on how far you want to go my bin file may work for you once i complete it.

I used edlebrock e-street heads with 1.65 ratio rockers, however head selection will be very important depending on the camshaft and max valve lift...
seat pressure is something to watch out for if going flat tappet.

Last edited by Gibbles; 10-03-2016 at 06:38 PM.

Quick Reply: My 1984 Crossfire Build