Speaker question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 08:57 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts
Default Speaker question.

85 W Bose system.

I have been reading and reading and reading and nobody seems to know what speakers are in the rear of this thing?

So.. I pulled them out when I put carpet in it last week and they're a 4.5" round speaker hidden under massive 6x9 looking grills.

So, cool. Now I know for sure.

So, I was shopping for replacements when someone said: You can put 6x9's back there with no cutting. There's an adapter you remove.

And I can't for the life of me remember seeing an "adapter" plate to take out, but this person swears it is true?

Before I rip the carpet back out to check, is anyone familiar enough with the 85/Bose system cars to tell me for sure?
Old 09-20-2016, 09:13 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

http://www.carstereohelp.com/corvette.htm
Old 09-20-2016, 09:19 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Thanks, but the headset is already gone. PO removed it.

I don't want another one to be honest.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:13 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

I don't know about the 85 so here it goes. I have a 91 and I bought OE speaker enclosure or whatever the bracket is called and used them. I had Bose but I bought NON-BOSE speaker enclosures, tossed the speakers out and put 6X9 into them.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:27 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

This is what I had to do to make Kenwood 6X9s work, made a 1/4" plywood adapter. I have to make some custom grills as the factory ones won't fit with the speaker's tweeter sticking way out.

Rick
Attached Images    
The following users liked this post:
confab (09-21-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 07:44 AM
Chris**
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by confab
85 W Bose system.

I have been reading and reading and reading and nobody seems to know what speakers are in the rear of this thing?

So.. I pulled them out when I put carpet in it last week and they're a 4.5" round speaker hidden under massive 6x9 looking grills.

So, cool. Now I know for sure.

So, I was shopping for replacements when someone said: You can put 6x9's back there with no cutting. There's an adapter you remove.

And I can't for the life of me remember seeing an "adapter" plate to take out, but this person swears it is true?

Before I rip the carpet back out to check, is anyone familiar enough with the 85/Bose system cars to tell me for sure?
pioneer 6x9's dropped right into the area once the Bose box was removed, the only exception was the speaker holes didn't line up so I drilled new ones through the plastic.

My understanding was that non-Bose cars came with 6x9s in the rear so most should fit.

your next step should be to read up on the boss wiring, most people prefer to run new speaker wire through the car.

Last edited by Chris**; 09-23-2016 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Update
The following users liked this post:
confab (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 10:18 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

I installed low profile 6x9's in my 88 when replacing all my Bose equipment. That way I could still use the Bose speaker grills with some minor sanding of the plastic bar that runs down the middle. I'll check my records if you want the manufacture. Try onlinestereo.com.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:44 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by shootnstarz
This is what I had to do to make Kenwood 6X9s work, made a 1/4" plywood adapter. I have to make some custom grills as the factory ones won't fit with the speaker's tweeter sticking way out.

Rick
Thanks, I was inspired by your post. Those are the housings I had back there. (Didn't really notice them when I changed carpet. )

That's what I did, too. Except I wanted to dump the Bose grills and use regular 6x9.

A piece of 3/4 plywood mounted on top brings them level with the carpet, then you just trim the carpet and mount the speakers and the grills directly to the plywood.

It makes the car a little louder with the housings out. Anyone considering this may want to put some fiberglass insulation in the cavity behind them.

Thanks to everyone for your help.
Attached Images  

Last edited by confab; 09-28-2016 at 07:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Speaker question.

Quick Reply: Speaker question.