C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Venting about Corvette snobs!

Old 09-30-2016, 10:20 AM
wolfie1961
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tpi1986
Here you ... Corvette Jet boat. Been waiting to share this one lol
Yeah, there's a couple companies that build them... Pretty cool stuff.
Too bad they're running MOPARs in them. I saw one with twin Ferraris in it.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:44 PM
eagle-157
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like all corvettes, my favorites are C2s, of those the 66 and 67 big blocks. That said I have a C4 and love it. Its not the fastest, its hard to get into, but to me it just says CORVETTE. If I had the cash I would have one of each type, but I am very happy with my C4, Opti and all. Just my .02!
Old 10-02-2016, 11:07 PM
Yukon Corleone
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

In my 1990 I get a wave or thumbs up from other Corvette owners, Mustang and Ferrari owners as well as others and usually talk to people while stopped at a light. I am not sure why but maybe because it is a Little Red Corvette
Old 10-03-2016, 10:25 AM
tpi1986
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfie1961
Yeah, there's a couple companies that build them... Pretty cool stuff.
Too bad they're running MOPARs in them. I saw one with twin Ferraris in it.
Yeah, I saw that Viper motor in the photo. Made me think twice about posting it, but in the end ... it was just too cool. I would hate to think what one of those suckers cost.

Originally Posted by eagle-157
I like all corvettes, my favorites are C2s, of those the 66 and 67 big blocks. That said I have a C4 and love it. Its not the fastest, its hard to get into, but to me it just says CORVETTE. If I had the cash I would have one of each type, but I am very happy with my C4, Opti and all. Just my .02!
The big blocks Corvettes, to me, are like the super Icon of Corvette history. I'd love to have one. My 70 year old father has a 66 blue 427 coup. I've driven several times, but almost hate to drive it. I'm always so worried someone will run into it or something will happen to it. People always wave and stare, but I hardly enjoy any of it because I'm so worried about it. Its probably just me, but last thing in the world I would want is to deliver it back to my father in parts lol

Originally Posted by Yukon Corleone
In my 1990 I get a wave or thumbs up from other Corvette owners, Mustang and Ferrari owners as well as others and usually talk to people while stopped at a light. I am not sure why but maybe because it is a Little Red Corvette
Red seems to get attention! Certain years especially really look good in red. I love back to, but damn is it hard to keep clean.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:37 PM
06_LT1
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

There is no single reason why some people look down on the C4. There's one obvious possibility why C4 Corvettes don't seem as special as previous generations: mass production. Chevrolet made more than 358 thousand C4's - that's twice as many as the combined total of C1 and C2 production.

The C4 arrived on the coattails of the C3 - a platform that was ancient (14 years old) and suffering from its own set of problems, not the least of which was Chevrolet's utter inability to roll out new model year cars with interesting changes. Instead of making interesting or impressive changes, Chevy just started randomly throwing colors at Corvettes. For example, the 1982 Collector Edition was a seemingly random combination of "silvery leather upholstery, turbine wheels, lift-up rear tail glass, silver-beige metallic paint and fade graphics atop the hood and along the sides." To add insult to injury, the '82 Collector Edition was also the first Corvette to cost more than $20,000.

To those of us who know and care about Corvettes, the C4 is a hugely important evolution of the Corvette. Unlike the first- and second-gen cars, the C4 was light, stopped decently, and actually went around corners; it refreshed the look after 14 years of C3's, and it (in my opinion) marks the period when Chevrolet finally started making an effort for the Corvette to be as good as - or better than - the sports cars being produced in other countries. The C4 was a game changer; some of us think that is important; others only care about what came before or what came after.

My 1999 Porsche 911 is analogous to the C4 Corvette - it too is a product of evolution. The 996 platform (the Porsche designation for cars produced from '99 to '04) was a total rewrite. Moving from air cooling to water cooling opened up performance options Porsche could simply not achieve previously, but the air-cooled purists think the 996 is an abomination, the beginning of the end of the "old" Porsche. The 996 put a bullet through the romantic notion that bearded German craftsmen were hand-building engines one at a time. It seems inexplicable that anyone would look at a new 911 that outperformed the old car in every test imaginable (acceleration, braking, handling) and then claim that Porsche had ruined the 911, but that's how they felt...and many still do.

Fans of original Corvettes will complain that the C4 is too new and different and not a "real" Corvette; C6/C7 enthusiasts will complain that the C4 is too slow, or not adequately refined. The truth - at least for those of us who own and love the C4 - is that the C4 is a crucially important car, the linchpin that completes the transition from that first Corvette made in 1953 to today's Stingrays and, I suspect, the mid-engine Corvette that will be dominating the sports car field by the turn of the century. I think it's AWESOME to own a piece of history; owning a piece of history that hauls a$$ and does wicked burnouts is just icing on the cake.

Last edited by 06_LT1; 10-03-2016 at 05:42 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by 06_LT1:
86C4Z51 (10-04-2016), 95tealconvert (10-03-2016), sahhas (10-05-2016), zachaeous (10-12-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 05:48 PM
eagle-157
Advanced

Originally Posted by 06_LT1
There is no single reason why some people look down on the C4. There's one obvious possibility why C4 Corvettes don't seem as special as previous generations: mass production. Chevrolet made more than 358 thousand C4's - that's twice as many as the combined total of C1 and C2 production.

The C4 arrived on the coattails of the C3 - a platform that was ancient (14 years old) and suffering from its own set of problems, not the least of which was Chevrolet's utter inability to roll out new model year cars with interesting changes. Instead of making interesting or impressive changes, Chevy just started randomly throwing colors at Corvettes. For example, the 1982 Collector Edition was a seemingly random combination of "silvery leather upholstery, turbine wheels, lift-up rear tail glass, silver-beige metallic paint and fade graphics atop the hood and along the sides." To add insult to injury, the '82 Collector Edition was also the first Corvette to cost more than $20,000.

To those of us who know and care about Corvettes, the C4 is a hugely important evolution of the Corvette. Unlike the first- and second-gen cars, the C4 was light, stopped decently, and actually went around corners; it refreshed the look after 14 years of C3's, and it (in my opinion) marks the period when Chevrolet finally started making an effort for the Corvette to be as good as - or better than - the sports cars being produced in other countries. The C4 was a game changer; some of us think that is important; others only care about what came before or what came after.

My 1999 Porsche 911 is analogous to the C4 Corvette - it too is a product of evolution. The 996 platform (the Porsche designation for cars produced from '99 to '04) was a total rewrite. Moving from air cooling to water cooling opened up performance options Porsche could simply not achieve previously, but the air-cooled purists think the 996 is an abomination, the beginning of the end of the "old" Porsche. The 996 put a bullet through the romantic notion that bearded German craftsmen were hand-building engines one at a time. It seems inexplicable that anyone would look at a new 911 that outperformed the old car in every test imaginable (acceleration, braking, handling) and then claim that Porsche had ruined the 911, but that's how they felt...and many still do.

Fans of original Corvettes will complain that the C4 is too new and different and not a "real" Corvette; C6/C7 enthusiasts will complain that the C4 is too slow, or not adequately refined. The truth - at least for those of us who own and love the C4 - is that the C4 is a crucially important car, the linchpin that completes the transition from that first Corvette made in 1953 to today's Stingrays and, I suspect, the mid-engine Corvette that will be dominating the sports car field by the turn of the century. I think it's AWESOME to own a piece of history; owning a piece of history that hauls a$$ and does wicked burnouts is just icing on the cake.

I have to agree with you. I really like my C4 and so does everyone in my family. My kids would opt for a C7, but really like the C4. My wife would like a Black Rose C4, I showed her the 2017 Black Rose C7 and she loved it, but would like one to match mine and the price of a new C7 is way up there.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:49 PM
eagle-157
Advanced

Originally Posted by tpi1986
Yeah, I saw that Viper motor in the photo. Made me think twice about posting it, but in the end ... it was just too cool. I would hate to think what one of those suckers cost.

The big blocks Corvettes, to me, are like the super Icon of Corvette history. I'd love to have one. My 70 year old father has a 66 blue 427 coup. I've driven several times, but almost hate to drive it. I'm always so worried someone will run into it or something will happen to it. People always wave and stare, but I hardly enjoy any of it because I'm so worried about it. Its probably just me, but last thing in the world I would want is to deliver it back to my father in parts lol

Red seems to get attention! Certain years especially really look good in red. I love back to, but damn is it hard to keep clean.

I would be concerned about someone smacking into a C2 with a 427 too. It would make it tough to enjoy as you said.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:55 PM
06_LT1
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Here are both of my "crappy" cars - my '96 C4 and my '99 Carrera. If someone wants to buy a "better" car like a Mustang, more power to 'em...

Last edited by 06_LT1; 10-03-2016 at 05:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
zachaeous (10-12-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 06:18 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 958 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I'd love to have one. My 70 year old father has a 66 blue 427 coup. I've driven several times, but almost hate to drive it. I'm always so worried someone will run into it or something will happen to it.
I always felt that way when I had my '65, even though it was 25 yrs ago. Back then, a least around here, stealing them was big business. Given the fact that there were easily removed VIN plates and people making reproduction VIN plate rivets, it only took about 1/2 hr (if that) to turn "your" car into "their" car. You would have to find it and offer up some pretty persuasive evidence to have the police rip out the carpet etc to find your soc or other ID you hid. A convertible was so easy to steal.

I couldn't leave it out of my sight.

Fast forward to 2007. Ganley Ford had a used Vette with a "special engine" (just relaying the story). It was kept on a lot that was locked up. They were having a special sales event, the lot boys brought the car around, took out the keys and went to go get more cars. All they ever heard of that Vette was it peeling rubber and accelerating up the X-way ramp, never to be seen again.

The police know who did it, they found his car and his boy, walking his dog on lookout, but because it was never found, there really was no proof. The guy was one of the area's professional car thieves (he had just go out of jail) who got an order and he just waited for the opportunity to fill it.

I am careful of our '96 that we got in July, but I can lock it and walk away from it and expect it to be there when I get back.

Last edited by drcook; 10-03-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:01 PM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 81 Posts

Here are both of my "crappy" cars - my '96 C4 and my '99 Carrera. If someone wants to buy a "better" car like a Mustang, more power to 'em...

Sweet fricken rides man
Old 10-03-2016, 09:01 PM
tpi1986
Racer

I have to say, I think you nailed it. Every point you made about both cars was right! I've never driven the Porsche, but always thought they were awesome looking rides. You perspective on the C4 seems to be perfect. Thanks for you post!

Originally Posted by jay23ls
Sweet fricken rides man
I second that!!
zachaeous (10-12-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 09:06 PM
tpi1986
Racer

Originally Posted by drcook
I always felt that way when I had my '65, even though it was 25 yrs ago. Back then, a least around here, stealing them was big business. Given the fact that there were easily removed VIN plates and people making reproduction VIN plate rivets, it only took about 1/2 hr (if that) to turn "your" car into "their" car. You would have to find it and offer up some pretty persuasive evidence to have the police rip out the carpet etc to find your soc or other ID you hid. A convertible was so easy to steal.

I couldn't leave it out of my sight.

Fast forward to 2007. Ganley Ford had a used Vette with a "special engine" (just relaying the story). It was kept on a lot that was locked up. They were having a special sales event, the lot boys brought the car around, took out the keys and went to go get more cars. All they ever heard of that Vette was it peeling rubber and accelerating up the X-way ramp, never to be seen again.

The police know who did it, they found his car and his boy, walking his dog on lookout, but because it was never found, there really was no proof. The guy was one of the area's professional car thieves (he had just go out of jail) who got an order and he just waited for the opportunity to fill it.

I am careful of our '96 that we got in July, but I can lock it and walk away from it and expect it to be there when I get back.

Almost makes you wish they would hang car thieves like they did old horse thieves! I think stealing a Vette should carry some serious penalties! Ok, maybe death is taking it to far! Maybe. lol
Old 10-04-2016, 10:06 PM
HIHO
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I own both a C4 and a C7. I love both of them, even the taillights. But I really like the C4. It gives you more of a road feel and is a great autocross car.
The C7 is a rag top 15 Z51, and is great for cruising and has the power when you need it. Bottom line is I like all the Corvettes.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:11 PM
krazythingz
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1984 C4 Crossfire and I love it! Everywhere I go I get comments from people! Take the top off and drive to the park and it will definitely turn heads!
Old 10-09-2016, 04:02 PM
CGretired
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always loved the look of a C4. When I started looking around for my first Corvette, I was told to buy a later model. Fell into a deal when I stumbled across a '91 C4. My son and I entered in a local car show and I was surprised by the other Corvette owners telling me get rid of it and buy a C5 or later. Gosh, I really like the looks of the car and how it rides. My plan is to keep it for a while. My wife really likes the roof combination and look of the hatchback.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:38 PM
tpi1986
Racer

Originally Posted by CGretired
I always loved the look of a C4. When I started looking around for my first Corvette, I was told to buy a later model. Fell into a deal when I stumbled across a '91 C4. My son and I entered in a local car show and I was surprised by the other Corvette owners telling me get rid of it and buy a C5 or later. Gosh, I really like the looks of the car and how it rides. My plan is to keep it for a while. My wife really likes the roof combination and look of the hatchback.
I can't even comment about that kind of attitude. First off, there are some great posts on this thread showing why the C4 is awesome. But this doesn't address the mindset of people like what your talking about. For those guys, either ignore them because they just don't get the true spirit of being a Corvette owner IMO. These are often the same folks who don't get the Vette wave either. To argue with them, its pointless, trust me, been there done that.

Or just jump in your ride and know you have a fun cool car that you don't have to make a lease payment on lol.

There is a third option, but it requires you to show them the proper extension of your middle finger ....
The following 2 users liked this post by tpi1986:
CGretired (10-11-2016), kostas86 (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 04:10 PM
kostas86
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CGretired
Those are not true car enthusiasts and a shame they would put down other owners like that. I'll be honest, the C4 was the only American car I have ever bought for my collection but as a car enthusiast I appreciate all cars and owners.

Get notified of new replies

To Venting about Corvette snobs!

Old 10-11-2016, 05:05 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I keep the C4 because it gives me great road feel and feedback.

Maybe when I'm too old and fat to get in and out of it, I'll hand it to my nephew and get a C5 - you know, since they're "old man" cars and all.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:55 PM
tpi1986
Racer

Originally Posted by 86C4Z51
I keep the C4 because it gives me great road feel and feedback.

Maybe when I'm too old and fat to get in and out of it, I'll hand it to my nephew and get a C5 - you know, since they're "old man" cars and all.
The first ive ever heard of a vette being called an "old mans" car was on this thread. For a brief time, couple of years, I took some time to give career lectures at high schools across my state. Probably hit 100 schools in two years. Part of my lecture was a slide show of cars (tying that into careers in the auto industry). One of my slides was my old 86 Vette and of course my 73 Vette race car. The most common question I got was "are those really your cars?" and "do you still really drive them?" The implication was that I was too old to be driving cool cars. Because we all know, anyone over 30 is old according to these kids lol.

I remember growing up, two of my best friends and myself worked part time in a chevy dealership as auto detailers. Fun job btw. This was in 89 thru 91. We saw every option of vette and iroc/z28's during that time.

The vettes were like holy ground when we got to drive them.

Originally Posted by kostas86
Those are not true car enthusiasts and a shame they would put down other owners like that. I'll be honest, the C4 was the only American car I have ever bought for my collection but as a car enthusiast I appreciate all cars and owners.
Absolutely right, not true car enthusiasts! Well said!
86C4Z51 (10-19-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 09:33 PM
BigRed85
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my '85 to a car show a few weeks ago and was next to a gen 1 Camaro. A man carrying his probably three or four year old son was looking at the Camaro and sad to his son that one looks fast! His soon looked over his Dad's shoulder at my '85 and said ooooh, but I bet it's not as fast as this one! So I guess they have some appeal. 😛
Enderlin (10-14-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Venting about Corvette snobs!