Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

early C4s and car shows

Old 09-24-2016, 11:25 AM
DanADaMan
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default early C4s and car shows

Just got my 90 vert. It is 100% stock right now and I plan to keep it that way. Debating whether I should put it into some car shows. From all the car shows I've gone to, most cars are 60s and 70s muscle cars - many are highly customized especially in the engine. There are also very many rare classics from the 50s, 40s, etc.

For those that put there C4s into car shows, what is your experience. Do you get lots of attention, or do most folks tend to goto the older muscle cars from the 60s and 70s. Has anyone won any medals in car shows? Also as car shows go, do you think a 100% stock C4 would be more highly regarded, or a customized one (either customized in the body or highly customized engine)?

Thanks
Old 09-24-2016, 11:33 AM
warrior4jesus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't know but I'll tell you tonight. Going to my first car show with it and i plan on entering her into the show
Old 09-24-2016, 11:40 AM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

There are a few different schools of thought on car shows.

1. If you are going to an 'all make' show - stock Corvettes do not do well.

2. Are you going to enjoy the atmosphere and polish without expectations?

3. Are you trying to start a trophy collection with a stock Corvette? Better odds and chance at a Corvette only show.... and be a Q-Tip knucklehead chasing dust bunnies.

Last edited by Bandit's C4; 09-24-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:56 AM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 116 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

The only way to really find out is to go to a show. Sure, you're not going to get the attention of a blown, chromed and polished 60's muscle car. However, if your car is very clean and the hood is up, you may be surprised. Don't go with the expectation of winning something though.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:44 PM
BLUDICE
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Small local car shows that are "open" usually don't care what you got - they just want cars and your money. If you're going for a trophy you most likely will be disappointed. If you're going to meet and talk to car guys you'll have fun. Most car shows are not "judged" they are poplar votes by car owners - so the favorite buddies usually win trophies. Now if you go to a Corvette show then it will most likely be a "judged" show based on points by Corvette club members. There be classes "stock, modified, original, etc" , and by years or "Cs" - so this can make it fair for all cars entered. Once you've gone to a few you'll get the hang of it. Main thing is to have fun and don't get sucked into the drama thing.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:52 PM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm not a big show guy but there is a monthly show I used to go to in the next town over. The month I took it out there with the blower on it you would have thought I was driving a Lambo or something. People were all over the car. Asking questions and taking pictures. It kinda surprised me. Later I brought it back with the LS swap and you could tell who the car people were and who the normal people were. The car guys knew what I had done and were asking questions the non car guys were just peeking and walking by. Car is fast but much less eye candy lol

I will add I don't enter my car for judging. I really don't care what others think about it.

Last edited by Raidmagic; 09-24-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:56 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Buy yourself some trophies and drive your car believe me youll save yourself a lot of headache

Think shows are bs favorites and politics thats been my experience

Why bother when some guy who bought his C7 2 days ago shows up and wins it?

I only entered one just for good parking had the owner of a C1 on one side and a C3 on the other whining that now I was parked they they are going to lose..my car was going to make them lose. because it wasnt washed. Another commented it should be garaged "how could I drive such a valuable classic" hell I had just came straight from the track he about pooped when I explained what the shoepolish on the windsheild was for and how many miles were on it.

Cant STAND the waxer crowd. They are just used Chevys sheesh.

Have a friend who put easily 100k into a 68 Mustang guy was hot for an entire week if he didnt trophy. I JUST dont get it.

Last edited by cv67; 09-24-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:42 PM
warrior4jesus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Definitely going for the atmosphere and to talk shop. There are no trophies at this car show
Old 09-24-2016, 03:27 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,927 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

your never own or build a car everyone likes, have one you like. don't go to car shows for awards. go for the people to meet new friends.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:22 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

Go and have fun.

Expect that you will not win.

You will get a great parking spot and a chance to talk to a lot of car enthusiasts.

I have gone to several and how the winners are determined makes no sense. Mostly it is just attendee or participant votes. I have seen some brand new ones that have had nothing done and barely driven win. Those voters might have well gone to a dealership. I have also seen highly modified cars win. I have also seen stock cars win regardless of how well prepared they were. Some were truly spotless and perfect and deserved the win, while others had almost no detailing done and barely washed.

In short, go have fun looking at cars, talking to other car people, and if you happen to win something that is a bonus.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:12 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
your never own or build a car everyone likes, have one you like. don't go to car shows for awards. go for the people to meet new friends.
Most awards are political. Go for enjoyment not awards.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:00 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Bandit's C4
Better odds and chance at a Corvette only show.... and be a Q-Tip knucklehead chasing dust bunnies.
Def; "waxxer" - Q-Tip knucklehead....
Old 09-25-2016, 08:29 AM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

I've been attending car shows since the 1980's. All my cars have been 'stock', from a '75 Bricklin to a 1974 AMC Matador X to an air cooled Porsche 911. I detail and wax for hours to show the nicest example possible. It's personal pride and I enjoy it. It's a hobby. A trophy from a judged show is a nice pat on the back and recognition of representing your make/model well. A 'people's choice' award is indeed friends voting for friends. You go to those shows just for the enjoyment and no expectations of winning anything. If you do, it's a real shock , but it has happened to me a few times. What I find to be true is the rarity of what you bring. Bringing a C4 Corvette to an all makes/models show will not garner much attention in most cases. When I'd bring my AMC, holy crap, did the crowds pay attention, and there was just no more room for awards in my garage.
I'll be bringing my C4 to many shows hopefully but just to have a good time. I enjoy car people and looking at all the rides. I always have. My efforts detailing the C4 will represent the Corvette family very well.
One other note: I won this trophy at an Atlanta Corvette show recently. With over 120 Corvettes entered there were only about 6 C4's present. Maybe the nicer 'show quality' C4's are going by the wayside. I haven't been around them enough to know. I certainly have seen them at shows but not in large numbers. Now that all the C4 models are officially 20 years old, maybe more recognition will follow.
Have fun!!!
Attachment 48021484

Last edited by Atomic6; 11-06-2020 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:06 AM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 189 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Car shows vary, not all do the same things, cost the same or do the same.

Example: local show in my town (3K population)

Cost: show up with car and park, get a free tshirt.

My first show: Got a nice bucket full of cleaning stuff from a drawing (free ticket)

I like to see other's cars (ahem, Corvettes), take time to talk and so forth. Folks taking a look at my Lady is fine too.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:24 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

As suggested attend a "car show" as a social event.

Quick "car show" story:

Ferrari club held an open show in Naples FL, old town area, street parking around many city blocks. Walking along following a couple as they turned onto another street there were 20+ Ferraris angle parked to the curb, it was quite a spectacle. The woman abruptly stops & says to her SO "Look! All of those cars are RED!!" Apparently she was completely oblivious to the car marque & the millions of dollars they represented.

I like to attend cruise ins anymore. No awards, come & go as you please, folks are friendly, anything from rat rods to Aston Martins. I always bring a camera.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:17 AM
CGretired
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my first Corvette. It is a nice stock C4. My son suggested we try showing. Found a show near the house sponsored by a local Corvette club. Lots of Vettes of all ages. Won first place for my car. What was great was that I met a lot of Corvette owners who gave me lots of advice. Friendly bunch too.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:01 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Three shows, all Corvette only. Peoples choice.
Drove in, cleaned her up and took home three firsts.
Not just because shes very clean, but because shes unique and stands out.
No toy model cars or stuffed animals, just a few mementos of LSR pics and awards.

Once a year is too many.....

Get notified of new replies

To early C4s and car shows

Old 09-25-2016, 02:46 PM
95tealconvert
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

Did not use to put my cars in shows. Now I pick and choose what I want to attend with one of our cars.

For myself it is about meeting people and hanging out with friends. I usually will not stay long enough to see the trophies given out and I like it that way so I am not thinking about trophies at all.

Everyone will have different experiences when it comes to shows and I think to some extent that is greatly influenced by your reasons and attitude when you go.

I always seem to have the most fun if I go to a show with friends. Time flies when you are hanging out talking and laughing compared to just sitting behind your car alone for part of the show.

I would second what has already been shared and that is a stock C4 will not get the attention that a highly modified or very expensive car will but on the other hand there are not many cars at a show that will have the front end tilted up backwards like the C4 does.

Here in a nutshell is how I look at shows :

The $15.00 you spend on average to get into a show goes to a good cause. The friends you make and the time you spend checking out all the cool rides worth every penny of the entry fee. Seeing a young persons face while checking out your car and putting them in the drivers seat-Priceless !!!!!!!!
Old 09-26-2016, 05:34 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 215 Posts

my club (Corvette club SA) attended a Chevy day put on by the Chevrolet performance association, our club is a strong supporter of this event, we had 32 cars on display, everything from c2 to c6.
There are only a small number of Corvette owners in this Chevy club (maybe 6 at most).
there was a trophy for Best Corvette, and guess who won it, a member of the Chevrolet performance club. Now we normally wouldnt care so much, it is their day after all, and its a good social day out for our club members.
The only thing was the 'winning' car wasnt actually there ! The guy who owned it had entered 2 cars and his mate who was supposed to bring the Vette couldnt make it.
It didnt ruin our day, we just had a chuckle about it !
Old 09-26-2016, 09:19 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man

I find/found that show awards are a crap-shoot at best. Except for the big shows like Bloomington Gold or NCRS events, judges are biased by their own prejudices.

Waxers vs. Warriors...

I'm a Warrior (mostly) and so I go to enjoy the show and bs with other car nuts - winning a trophy is NOT on my radar...ever! But, one time, after spending the whole evening wandering around looking at other cars, I come back to find I'd won a trophy for "best engine". Well-hell... It is stock (looking) except for a rattle can" job. Lotus deserves the credit. And, yet at another event a gorgeous Calloway ZR-1 went begging at an all Corvette show - loosing to some C5 car where the owner had festooned his engine bay with a boat load of cheap chrome bling-things. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...apparently.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: early C4s and car shows