Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Gauging interest for an OEM C5 style instrument cluster for 90-96

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 10:08 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

If you're gonna do this, give the tach an 8,000 RPM dial, like the LT4 cars have. Lotsa guys have rebuilt their LT1- & L98-based engines to exceed the redline on the stock tach.

Live well,

SJW
Old 09-26-2016, 01:13 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,046 Posts

I'd do a little homework on how you plan to interface with the C4 CCM. It may look nice, but if the needles don't move and the mileage doesn't change it's not much use. Not to mention all the lights.... SES, Security, High-beams, Brake, etc
Old 09-26-2016, 05:43 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
Well I am fine with the orange lighting. But intrigued by your design. That would be cool
Ditto
Old 09-26-2016, 05:47 PM
Snero
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
I'd do a little homework on how you plan to interface with the C4 CCM. It may look nice, but if the needles don't move and the mileage doesn't change it's not much use. Not to mention all the lights.... SES, Security, High-beams, Brake, etc
I'm glad someone asked!

I've got a copy of all the relevant shop manuals that detail the pinouts necessary to accomplish the task, from batee, and I'm currently researching what microcontrollers are going to be sufficient to meet the task. The Arduino is rather ubiquitous so I'll probably start with that and see if there are any shortcomings.

Glad to know there's someone out there concerned about the technical details of the project! I thought it would bore most of you.

As luck would have it, there are already folks out there who have made projects in this direction, albeit for different vehicles, but for the same purpose.

Here's an example of a speedo stepper motor hooked up to an Arduino, demonstrating the ability to control a gauge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfush1ZNVaY

Obviously this doesn't have anything to do with getting data from the CCM, however the microcontroller I'd be using should be more than sufficient enough to accept the data coming from the CCM, and utilizing it on my dash.

Last edited by Snero; 09-26-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:30 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

I have been looking in to this over a year. There is a place that redoes early c4 dash units that was willing to do mine for free as a trial.

My car i pretty much an old muscle car with a c4 body on it, I'd like analog.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:06 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I think that your idea is a really cool one and I say more power to you. I hope that you are able to succeed in getting your design to work properly and fit within the real estate available.

But ..... as an owner of a 95 and as the owner of an 04 both of which I drive all the time ... I would not be a customer. Vive la difference

Last edited by Mr. Peabody; 09-26-2016 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:11 PM
Keith Huffstutler
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any updates on this?

One thing I was considering myself, was swapping out the LCD portion of the gauges for an actual LCD display screen, perhaps even an OLED one. This would also require the use of an Arduino or the like to gather the data and display it. This would have the advantage of being able to change the display to whatever you would like, or even just mimic the OEM style.

Quick Reply: Gauging interest for an OEM C5 style instrument cluster for 90-96