Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Leaving to work and i look back....

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 06:05 PM
KCVETT
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct me if I'm wrong but if the tranny is out of fluid how long til it starts to fucc up ? I just drove home from work and it drove just fine no slipping or nothing.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:09 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by KCVETT
I agree with everything you just said. Only issue is it's gonna get expensive and I just put my two weeks in at work LOL the timing of this is priceless haha -_- but during lunch I went to buy some engine oil and ATF for the meantime...I know a corvette specific shop close to me so I guess I know where I'm going after work. I usually do all my own work but I really don't want to touch the tranny. On the bright side my car is really clean atm ha
It is a corvette at the end of the day, and that's kind of how these car's work, I bought mine while I was unemployed, just sold it about an hour ago. My dad drove his dodge without transmission fluid for who knows how long, drove it til it wouldn't shift (he obviously didn't know it was out) still made it to the shop, they put transmission fluid in it and it's had no problem for about 2 months now, but i'm sure it didn't help it!
Old 09-27-2016, 06:12 PM
KCVETT
Advanced

Originally Posted by BrandensBeast
It is a corvette at the end of the day, and that's kind of how these car's work, I bought mine while I was unemployed, just sold it about an hour ago. My dad drove his dodge without transmission fluid for who knows how long, drove it til it wouldn't shift (he obviously didn't know it was out) still made it to the shop, they put transmission fluid in it and it's had no problem for about 2 months now, but i'm sure it didn't help it!
congrats on selling yo ride man. And damm yeah I won't let that happen to me. I try to keep maintenance up as much as I can.
The following users liked this post:
BrandensBeast (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 07:58 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Loose oil filter?
Old 09-27-2016, 08:35 PM
BLUDICE
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by the kid C6
One of the funniest posts I read on this forum was over in the C3 section ... "If it's not leaking fluids, it's because it's empty."

I agree that the puddle looks really dark for transmission fluid. Keep us posted.
That line was started by us old flathead & Harley Davidson guys - oh I think the Corvair guys too. Lol.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:43 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

So, when are you going to get the car up in the air and take a look underneath to find the culprit so everyone in this thread can stop speculating on what it "might" be. Yes, you used cardboard. Yes, we've established that you have a hell of a leak. Now raise it up and find the source.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:54 AM
KCVETT
Advanced

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
So, when are you going to get the car up in the air and take a look underneath to find the culprit so everyone in this thread can stop speculating on what it "might" be. Yes, you used cardboard. Yes, we've established that you have a hell of a leak. Now raise it up and find the source.

there's a certain set of circumstances I'm in gonna have to wait til.the weekend.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:40 PM
MRPVette
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Looks like oil to me valve covers,oil sending unit?
Old 09-29-2016, 04:07 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

part it out.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:29 AM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're not sure if it's motor oil or transmission fluid go to your local auto parts store and pick up a bottle of dye and a uv light (they're cheap). Then add the dye to the engine oil. Put the cardboard back under the car. The next day pull the cardboard out and take it to a dark place (the garage maybe?). Shine the uv light on it. If it glows you know it's motor oil. If it doesn't, then it's gotta be transmission fluid. If there's more than one drop on the cardboard and some glow but others don't, then they're both leaking.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:11 AM
BLUDICE
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm sorry but I have to say this - if you can't tell the differences between motor oil and trany fluid - well it's time to play in a different play ground. Seek some help a sap before some serious damage occurs.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:37 AM
wolfie1961
Advanced

Hell, it's just marking it's territory!!!
The '87 did the same thing when I put Ford Bronco in the garage next to it!!

Quick Reply: Leaving to work and i look back....