C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

added too much oil maybe

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 10:24 AM
wolfie1961
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Sorry for the thread jack too, but those are awesome boat pics. That last one looks like you've got the hull "aired out" pretty good. Now I know why I never see you; I'm either at Rockport or Jordanelle...or mostly Powell. Now, in a SLOW boat.

Attachment 48023089

Attachment 48023088
Man, I always loved those Mastercrafts. I miss the old ski boats. I'm not into the wakemaker roll cage boats. I guess because I know too many people that have had their low profile boats swamped by them. Too many douche bags doing a slow passes with full ballast too close to them.

Once we get the SWTD finished, Jordonelle and Rockport are a couple lakes we want to try. I'm a little worries about Jordonelle though with as little freeboard as I have.

Last edited by wolfie1961; 09-30-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:35 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

That boat looks awesome. I love it!

Originally Posted by wolfie1961
I'm not into the wakemaker roll cage boats. I guess because I know too many people that have had their low profile boats swamped by them. Too many douche bags doing a slow passes with full ballast too close to them.
Oh you just said what I think! Those boats go against everything I know and believe about:
Boating
Efficiency
How things should work
etc.
As a kid, my dad taught me that running a boat on 1/2 plan was the most inefficient mode of operation...I could clearly see why it was. Now that is the norm -around here anyway, and we don't just run on 1/2 plane, we do it deliberately with 5000lb+ on board! Yikes.

"Cage boat"...I like that one! You know....my boat has 240hp, which is way more than enough -even at this elevation, I can pull up three skiers at a time, or more. I know/knew some of the later comp boats have 300, 330, 350 hp in the mid '00's and that is about where I stopped paying attention. We were at Marine Products a couple weeks ago for the sale, to get 2 new slalom skis. We wandered into the boat show room just for yuk-yuks. A salesman comes in and asks if he can help us. Not me...I'm keeping my mouth shut. But my wifes asks a question so here it comes; the whole pitch on their line of Supras. The guys says:
"This boat here is our smallest boat, the SA, 21 footer. This boat has the 440 hp engine, and it's the only boat we have w/the 440 hp engine."

I'm thinking two things;
1. I can't believe that we're up to 440 hp now, in comp boats. WTF?
2. Yeah, it's the only boat here w/the 440hp engine b/c no one wants a fuel sucking pig, 440 horse wake boat! It's too much power for the task (0-19 mph).
^That's what I'm thinking. Little do I know how naive I am! The sales guy continues,
"Honestly, nobody wants the 440 hp engine. It just doesn't sell. The reality is that it's just too darn slow, too sluggish, it just doesn't have enough power. What you really need and what everyone wants is the supercharged, 575 hp engine."

Yes, yes...that is exactly what I need; a 6000 lb boat, that I can fill with 3300 lbs of water, 18 people so that I can drive around on 1/2 plane, @4000 RPM using 575 supercharged hp, while consuming 20 GPH. Yes...that makes total sense.

W...T....F? I guess I'm getting old.

I'm a little worried about Jordonelle though with as little freeboard as I have.
Yes, that is a legitimate concern. Jordanelle is really only good for bobbing and relaxing. There is no good motor boating or skiing to be had there anymore, as it is way too rough and dangerous IMO. Rockport is somewhat better, IMO. You get to Powell much? We're headed down tonight. You get up north of Cedar canyon and there is no one around. Boating is fabulous.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 09-30-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:27 PM
wolfie1961
Advanced

You get to Powell much? We're headed down tonight. You get up north of Cedar canyon and there is no one around. Boating is fabulous.
Haven't been to Powell yet... We were supposed to go a couple weeks ago with some other jet boat guys for the Lake Powell Challenge, but had a health issue (doc prescribed meds and I guess I don't need them) and spent the night in the hospital... Long story short, I missed out.
Been to Mead, Havazoo, and Parker, but never Powell... yet....

The thing I like about Utah Lake is that it's underused. And if you head down to Lincoln Beach area, it gets nice and flat...

Here's a picture of a friend from Nor Cal's boat on Utah Lake making a 105MPH pass. He took my wife for a pass.. She loved it, which is why we sold the Eliminator for the go fast boats.
One of these days I'll get back on a ski. I have a nice Brad custom from centuries ago.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:47 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Wicked! That top pic is awesome. I miss having a boat that could fly the hull. Sometimes. I don't miss the outboard too much.

Utah lake is underuntilized....I think everyone is afraid of pollution. IDK. We should get together some time. We can never find people who appreciate the more vintage genres of water sports. Everyone wants to wake surf.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:15 PM
wolfie1961
Advanced

Wicked! That top pic is awesome. I miss having a boat that could fly the hull. Sometimes. I don't miss the outboard too much.

Utah lake is underuntilized....I think everyone is afraid of pollution. IDK. We should get together some time. We can never find people who appreciate the more vintage genres of water sports. Everyone wants to wake surf.
We absolutely need to get together.. Maybe we can make a fall trip up to PC with the Vette. Meet up for coffee...
Old 09-30-2016, 05:33 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

We absolutely need to get together.. Maybe we can make a fall trip up to PC with the Vette. Meet up for coffee...
I'm IN, for that. Colors are pretty good up here right now.

Or Nebo Loop....

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 09-30-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:46 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
Is that really what you would do?
These days on a high miles LS yup if its slightly over i leave it be
Wont even be a week it will be low again never caused any damage
SHOULD it be dranied down sure but on a low tpm tpi unless its way high it wont hurt a thing. GM engineers a lot of idiot proof in these things
Gotten away with overfilling a trans once or twice too

Quick Reply: added too much oil maybe