Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

94 Climate Control Stopped Working!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 02:04 PM
93jockey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Climate Control Stopped Working!!

I picked up a lonely Admiral Blue 94 about a year ago and it came with a whole lot of unfinished business. The main attraction was that even though it was high mileage it seemed to be a good daily driver if I could live with the condition that it was in - 'fair'. So far, so good.

Ever since I took it home the C68 AC panel has been intermittent. All last winter it was hit or miss but over the summer it seemed to work great! Then a couple of weeks ago it started to act up again and now it's completely unusable. When I turn the key over it momentarily seems to show the correct outside air temp and them immediately displays 75. Last week I was able to run the diag and it returned a code of 04 - to which I was able to verify that the OAT was still good and that there was 0.0 volts on the 5 volt sensor line. Since all of the other components ran fine over the summer am going to guess that it might be the AC programmer (I've cleaned the head a couple of times now and don't think it's the cause, because of the 0 volts at the sensor?) The shop manuals just arrived on CD yesterday late, but I haven't opened the package yet https://www.amazon.com/Chevrolet-Cor...gine+schematic. Is there anything I should try before I pull the programmer? Can the programmer pcb be gotten to if I remove the AC head?
Old 09-29-2016, 11:02 PM
93jockey
Intermediate

Haven't cracked the manual yet but am seeing that the engine 1) warms up quicker, 2) its temperature in heavy traffic goes up to around 230F with an average of 220F, but goes back down to 193F fairly quickly when traffic picks up. I also happened to notice this when I turned the climate control OFF the other day so am assuming its normal.

Also, pressing the defroster button only keeps it lit for a few seconds and it turns off with no obvious affect on the mirrors/hatch.

It's staying steady with 75 on the display and the Auto/Fan Auto leds lit.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:52 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Car uses electric cooling fan so for it to heat up in heavy and stop n go traffic is normal. When A/C is on cooling fan should also be on and engine should run cooler and temp more stable.. I think you need to read your manual it doesn't do you any good wrapped in plastic.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:27 PM
93jockey
Intermediate

Yeah, just thought it might be useful to other noobs that wonder why their car's running hot when they can't adjust the A/C head and it defaults to OFF.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:36 PM
93jockey
Intermediate

A triumph! While licking my wounds over not having pulled out the A/C Programmer, yet, I thought to tackle the two bulbs that had burned out (one as I worked on the A/C head) on the Bose Gold system. The two are the ones that light the main display. I found the replacement number (not exact, they don't have the nice sleeve) from a fellow poster on this site, and after removing EVERY screw in sight the most difficult parts were a) removing the locking tabs from the plastic fascia and b) removing all of the solder from the hole after removing the old bulb. Went back together in a jiffy and I can now see the time/stations again!
Old 10-04-2016, 02:19 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

i have this problem on my 93.

simply pushing hard across the face of it will make it work again

i think the wire traces and pins develop a but of some surface corrosion.

pushing the face of the unit must 'freshen up' and rub off some of the corrosion.

removing it/ cleaning all traces and pins with electronics cleaner and reinstalling would prob be a permanent fix

Get notified of new replies

To 94 Climate Control Stopped Working!!

Quick Reply: 94 Climate Control Stopped Working!!