C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Complete Console Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 08:47 PM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Complete Console Removal

Alright fellas, I used the search tool, and got everything but what I was looking for. How do you remove the console on an '89 completely? I need to remove the console, shift boot, rubber shift boot, and then remove the shifter, in order to press the transverse shift pin back into the shifter. So...tonight I was able to remove the upper portion of the console, shift boot, and shifter ****. BUT I still need to remove the bottom portion, and for the life of me I cant figure it out! And I'm a stupid engineer! Anyway...

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. and I've already removed the console lid, and every screw, nut etc I can find, but I've got to be missing something...HELP ME

Damon

Last edited by Need A Vette; 10-21-2016 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:56 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Never done it but the year might help others.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:50 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

If you bought that 89 you were looking at, removing the seats will give you a big clue on how to remove the sides of the console. Auto or manual shift?
Old 10-20-2016, 10:38 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

For the transmission tunnel covers you have to take the seats out, take the spot where the seatbelt is screwed into the fiber glass body, then work around it and you can take the piece out, it's a real pain. Not sure if I have any pictures of EXACTLY what you need, but these may help. Pics are from the 84 corvette I had.

Now if you're talking about the storage console compartment yours will probably still have the carpet in it, now if you pull the carpet up and look CLOSELY you will see what looks like almost black plastic oval shaped tabs, pop those up and underneath will be the screws that hold it to the fiberglass body of the car, there is 4 screws from what I remember. Hopefully that helps a bit. I can go into more detail if you still can't figure it out, I don't believe I have any better pictures, and the car is sold but i'll do my best to help
Attached Images    

Last edited by BrandensBeast; 10-20-2016 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:53 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

This pic shows the hidden screws on my '86 console:

Old 10-21-2016, 07:10 AM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
This pic shows the hidden screws on my '86 console:

Yep, that is what I'm looking for! Damn this forum is AWESOME! I was able to partially pry out the rubber shift boot, and that pesky transverse shift pin is only in on the right side, need to remove the shifter and press it back into place, and replace the 'E' clip on it...perhaps a little dab of JB Weld to hold everything in place once I get it in will prevent this problem in the future...Pin 709 is the one that slipped out of the shifter
Attached Files
File Type: docx
Shifter exploded view 1.docx (31.1 KB, 60 views)

Get notified of new replies

To Complete Console Removal

Quick Reply: Complete Console Removal