Aftermarket radio questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 10:57 PM
silentgt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket radio questions.

Hello,

My car came with a pioneer aftermarket radio pictured below. If I were to swap it for another aftermarket radio, would I have to splice any new wires or can I use the connections that were in the pioneer?

Also did my car come with the Bose system originally or not? It's an 89 zf6 coupe. How can I tell?

Old 10-23-2016, 12:55 AM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

If you have speakers in the doors then you "had" a Bose. I would look up the Pioneer model on the Net to see if you can find it's electrical connections and use that information to hook-up your new Head unit. There's no telling how the Pioneer was wired by the pervious owner. You'll know when you inspect behind the radio.

Last edited by HAD2HAV2; 10-23-2016 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:24 AM
silentgt
Advanced

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
If you have speakers in the doors then you "had" a Bose. I would look up the Pioneer model on the Net to see if you can find it's electrical connections and use that information to hook-up your new Head unit. There's no telling how the Pioneer was wired by the pervious owner. You'll know when you inspect behind the radio.
This is how it looks in the back, there are two blue plugs that plug into the blue colored outlets in the back. There is also an antenna lead that plugs into the hole on the left.

Also no door speakers so no bose for me. And to my original question, are the two blue plugs common to most aftermarket radios?

Last edited by silentgt; 10-23-2016 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:30 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Those blue plugs may be a common style, but the difference would be in the pin-out. Different brands would more than likely have different functions for each of the individual wires. Some aftermarket units may not even use some of the individual wires in those plugs.

Wiring instructions that come with new aftermarket radios should have a schematic that identifies the purpose of each wire. You may have to remove the wire harness from the car side of the old radio and splice the new harness in. That means identifying what each of the wires on the car side does. Do you have the install instructions from the existing radio?

It might be a good idea to post you question in the Audio and Electronics section of the Forum. There are some very knowledgeable member there and they would be a big help. Also post the pics you have posted here.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:36 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

A lot of the aftermarket radios I have seen have each wire marked with a little tag, or with a legend on the radio itself.

Even if the plug fit, I would check it to be sure it is right. You may damage your headset if the pins are moved around from one brand to another.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:45 AM
chatham
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

get on the net and find the wiring diagram to the head unit you have. this will tell you all you need to know about which wires are power, switched, LF, RF speakers and so on. tag the wires with tape labeling them so you know which is which and cut the plug off of it. then when you get your new head unit, it will have a wiring diagram and the wires will be labeled for power, switch, etc. match the tags on the new wires from the new head unit up with the wire tags you put on from your old unit and connect.

this of course assumes that the old unit works properly and all the speakers work properly

Last edited by chatham; 10-23-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:24 PM
silentgt
Advanced

Ok, thanks everyone. That makes perfect sense. I found this diagram of the radio wiring online. I really want to avoid splicing anything so maybe I'll look for another Pioneer radio and hope most of the wires match.
Has anyone had experience with swapping one brand radio for the same brand? Did the wires match?

Old 10-23-2016, 12:28 PM
chatham
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

good luck with that. manufactures change so many things every model, you might, but I doubt it. it is so simple to tag and connect why limit yourself to TRYING to find a perfect fit?
Old 10-23-2016, 09:42 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I would think that unless you buy an older Pioneer HU you will have to splice in a new harness. The second plug is for an add on CD player, which will be even harder to match up. I would pull the existing radio out and see if the factory plugs are still there. If so, you can get an aftermarket adapter harness that will work with most radios. If you do not want to splice in a new harness yourself, most audio shops will do it if you buy a new HU from them.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:49 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by silentgt
Ok, thanks everyone. That makes perfect sense. I found this diagram of the radio wiring online. I really want to avoid splicing anything so maybe I'll look for another Pioneer radio and hope most of the wires match.
Has anyone had experience with swapping one brand radio for the same brand? Did the wires match?

Agree with above.

IMO, don't limit yourself. You have the diagram, just solder the wires in place and call it a learning experience.

If they have a aftermarket/stock harness connector in place there, it is even better.. You don't have to hack the stock wiring. You can just reuse the connector.

Last edited by confab; 10-23-2016 at 09:50 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket radio questions.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket radio questions.