C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 03:05 PM
raymac554
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weatherstripping

Looking for best priced and reputible place to purchase weatherstipping for my 94 Coupe w/Targa top. Any suggestions?
Old 10-24-2016, 04:33 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Not sure how good it is but Wilcox advertises in here.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:50 PM
raymac554
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I'll check them out
Old 10-25-2016, 05:00 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Definitely Willcox. I had to replace my windshield and the old w/strip was ruined taking it off. I ordered a new one from them and it was a snap to install, fit perfectly and sealed up nicely.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:55 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 122 Posts

http://www.steelerubber.com/
Old 10-27-2016, 12:47 PM
jdcfrank
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just redid my 88. Got all the seals thru the forum
Old 10-27-2016, 03:49 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by kenmohr
is it me or are they pricey....we've been driving our CE without the targa top, but my wife put it on in the rain and it leaks. Using that place it looks like alot of money to do this fix and I want to do the doors/window as well.....$$$$
Old 10-27-2016, 05:16 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by raymac554
Looking for best priced and reputible place to purchase weatherstipping for my 94 Coupe w/Targa top. Any suggestions?
Another vote for Willcox, they even have discounts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ds-sunday.html

Weather strip link

https://willcoxcorvette.com/catalogs...q=weatherstrip
Old 10-27-2016, 06:50 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by vette196
is it me or are they pricey....we've been driving our CE without the targa top, but my wife put it on in the rain and it leaks. Using that place it looks like alot of money to do this fix and I want to do the doors/window as well.....$$$$
I purchased the hatch weatherstrip this past spring and was very disappointed with the quality and fit. I think they are just repackaging the C4 products they offer.​​​​​​​
Old 10-28-2016, 07:19 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Originally Posted by vette196
They are a little pricey but excellent quality. It is the 4th hatch seal on mine and the only one that fit properly and didn't split within 6 months. I also changed the door seals last spring and no complaints or leaks.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:20 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Originally Posted by RUU
I purchased the hatch weatherstrip this past spring and was very disappointed with the quality and fit. I think they are just repackaging the C4 products they offer.​​​​​​​
Don't know what you did on yours but mine were excellent.

RUU I think you should contact them ( steel rubber products ) and send a picture of your car. I can't believe they made that seal. It makes no sense for them to send you a foreign made one when they do make them themselves in Texas. Yours is totally unacceptable and they seem to have a lot of pride in what they do.

Last edited by kenmohr; 10-28-2016 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:34 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Here is the description from their page. They will take care of you if it theirs.

Overview

Matching Vehicles

This hatchback weatherstrip is designed from the original part for superior fitment and seal. The seal mounts around the full perimeter of the hatch opening directly to the body.
•Molded corners for a seamless, formed fit.
•Designed from original part so it fits correctly.
•Replaces factory #9768068.
•Glues directly to the body.

Made from top quality rubber to ensure durability and proper seal.

Guaranteed to fit. Hand Crafted. Made in USA.

Please check the Matching Vehicles tab to confirm this part is applicable to your vehicle.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:55 AM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Exerpt from email I sent back in June;
Your website states “Made in USA” for this product, but both packages were marked “Made in India”, so you may want to update your website. You should also be aware that it does not seem to fit as well as the part you were supplying last year. I have attached 2 photos, “steele_old.jpg” which shows the part installed from someone who purchased last year. “steele_new.jpg” is of the part you sent me which has a poor corner fit compared to the previous product. This is the same problem that is frequently reported by people who have purchased this part from other Corvette vendors whose part is also sourced from India. I’m hoping I do not encounter problems with the corners splitting as reported from the other vendors’ part.
Regards,
Their response;
I agree the corner doesn’t look perfect at all. If you do have any problems, I have noted your concern. Just let me know if we need to do anything else.

We manufacture the majority of our parts here in North Carolina. Some parts are purchased from other manufacturers. This happens to be one of them.
We still offer our 100% satisfaction guarantee on all parts we sell. Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.
They "noted my concerns" but didn't offer to replace the piece and they still haven't updated their website.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:12 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Their response;

They "noted my concerns" but didn't offer to replace the piece and they still haven't updated their website.[/QUOTE]

I tried before and again today to find my paperwork from them but can't. I know it is here but not where I put it. It says guaranteed to fit and that fit is unacceptable. You should ask for a refund. When I purchased mine they told me if I was not happy they would replace or refund my money. There was a snag in the first one they sent and I didn't see it until I had installed it. Sent them a picture via email and they sent a replacement that day with permission to return the bad one after I got my replacement. They were excellent to deal with. I have many friends who have dealt with them on restores and hot rods and not one has a complaint.

I will send them an email referring to this post. I have been recommending them and will stop if they are not like the one I purchased.

Sorry you are having trouble. I hope they will correct it for you. I do show my corvette and fit was very important to me.

Last edited by kenmohr; 10-30-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:05 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Thanks for posting this. Am in need of a replacement so will check back to this posting.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:56 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

I will send them an email referring to this post. I have been recommending them and will stop if they are not like the one I purchased.

Sorry you are having trouble. I hope they will correct it for you. I do show my corvette and fit was very important to me.
There's nothing to "correct". I'm sure I could have gotten a refund if I paid to ship the product back. That would have cost $50 plus the cost of shipping of another piece from a different vendor. So, effectively the same out of pocket costs to me and probably the same ill-fitting product.
That they still have the same incorrect information on their website and still charge a premium price for the same product that other vendors sell for half the price leads me to post my experience to inform others considering this product.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:55 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Originally Posted by RUU
There's nothing to "correct". I'm sure I could have gotten a refund if I paid to ship the product back. That would have cost $50 plus the cost of shipping of another piece from a different vendor. So, effectively the same out of pocket costs to me and probably the same ill-fitting product.
That they still have the same incorrect information on their website and still charge a premium price for the same product that other vendors sell for half the price leads me to post my experience to inform others considering this product.
If you make no effort to correct the problem you are at fault not them. If people accept a bad product they will keep making it that way. I now question your wisdom. Hopefully they will come here and comment.

Get notified of new replies

To Weatherstripping

Old 10-31-2016, 09:50 AM
RUU
Melting Slicks

If you make no effort to correct the problem you are at fault not them. If people accept a bad product they will keep making it that way. I now question your wisdom. Hopefully they will come here and comment.
You still don't get it. They don't make the product! That was attempt number 2 to get a good piece from them. I decided to cut my losses, not waste any more time and live with it. I informed them about my dissatisfaction with the product and the misinformation on their website.
At least now if someone goes through the trouble of doing a search, they will have accurate information about the product currently available.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:58 PM
kenmohr
Drifting

I purchased the hatch weather strip this past spring and was very disappointed with the quality and fit. I think they are just repackaging the C4 products they offer.

If so they would they have not taken the made in India off the label.

With the following posted on their website makes them liable and a return with no shipping would be possible. Just stop payment on your visa or however you paid for it .
Overview

Matching Vehicles

This hatchback weatherstrip is designed from the original part for superior fitment and seal. The seal mounts around the full perimeter of the hatch opening directly to the body.
•Molded corners for a seamless, formed fit.
•Designed from original part so it fits correctly.
•Replaces factory #9768068.
•Glues directly to the body.

Made from top quality rubber to ensure durability and proper seal.

They "noted my concerns" but didn't offer to replace the piece and they still haven't updated their website. Your next post says—

That was attempt number 2 to get a good piece from them.

Leads me to believe they did replace it if you are truthful. Why would they send you a bad one twice. Costs them money to do that. Shipping two ways and one lost seal.

4 Years ago I had called them and told them I had been having trouble with imported hatch seals and questioned them as to them making their own. I was informed they did not at that time but were discussing it to check back at a later time.

March of 2015 I called them again and was told they were now making the to GM specs. I ordered it and you can see the results in the picture I posted. I see your label on your post but there is no date on it or possibly and old stock. I found these people to be very honest and find it hard to believe they would suddenly become very misleading.

I certainly do not want to recommend their seal if it is going to be cut like the imports and then the importance of the forum is to help other members get the best for the buck. Some want the correct fit as I did and others may choose the save the $$$. Their choice but they should be given correct information. This is my goal and I am sure yours too.

My advice is to call them if you plan on ordering it from them is to call in the order and tell them fit is very important and you will return for a full refund + shipping costs. May be a good idea with all of them the suppliers. RUU you contracted for a American product that fits properly and so did they. They broke the contract and are obligated to refund your purchase price and shipping costs. If you put it on Visa they will stand behind you 100%.

I tried desperately to find my package label to confirm it said made in America to no avail. Sorry I couldn't help on that aspect. I was told it was made in Texas. Two of them fit as shown.

Last edited by kenmohr; 10-31-2016 at 01:36 PM. Reason: add on
Old 10-31-2016, 01:09 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Corvette America Rear Hatch Weatherstrip

http://www.corvetteamerica.com/cf/di...hname=Specials

This one is pretty new and innovative.

I got grief for my installation job, but there are no leaks and there's no stress in the corners at all. Not as cheap as Wilcox, not as expensive as Steele. So far I am very happy.
The following users liked this post:
vette196 (10-31-2016)

Quick Reply: Weatherstripping