C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

87 coupe hot water shut off valve

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 08:07 PM
Ol Vette
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 87 coupe hot water shut off valve

I always wondered why my 87 was so hot during the summer and the ac was on full tilt. I just discovered that the shut off valve vacumn actuator that is supposed to be on the metal heater hose line was NOT there. I took over someone elses project and am trying to get it working the way it should. Although up here in Canada we use the heater a lot more than the ac, but we have the odd day where ac is required. My question..... can I just buy the vacumn actuator? The vacumn hose was right beside the firewall taped up so everything is there except the actuator. I really don't care to take over someone elses project because you never know what they have done or NOT done...... I checked the FSM and can find nothing regarding the actuator, I even searched the archieves.....still nothing.....

Hope someone can help me

Thx.......ol vette
Old 11-12-2016, 08:17 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Amazon & Ecklers both list a hot water control valve for $130-150, but they look like the valve is part of a pair of solid pipes. Take a look and see if they will work for you. If the stock pipes have been replaced with rubber heater hose you could just put in an in line manual shut off valve as well.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:01 PM
Ol Vette
Advanced

Default Shut off valve

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
Amazon & Ecklers both list a hot water control valve for $130-150, but they look like the valve is part of a pair of solid pipes. Take a look and see if they will work for you. If the stock pipes have been replaced with rubber heater hose you could just put in an in line manual shut off valve as well.

Thx for the reply.....the valve is still on the tubes, but the vacumn actuator is missing. Right now I close it manually but I would like to make it work with the vacumn hose...like it was supposed to. But getting rid of the tube all together is a good idea, less chance for leaks, but what do I do with the little steam/water line that goes to the intake just cap it off. Then a manual valve would be fine....Ted
Old 11-12-2016, 10:36 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

GM removed that valve in '88 or '89, it's probably your temperature control door that's the problem. Pull the power regulator off the top of the HVAC box and look inside with a flashlight. You should see it move all the way in both directions if it's working correctly.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:07 PM
Ol Vette
Advanced

Thx. for everyone's input. Now I have a direction to go....and see what could be the problem. I think the easiest would be to do away with the steel tube line and run hose and put in a manual valve to stop all the water altogether. If the GM people did away with the valve in 88 or 89....then I don't need it at all because the climate control hasn't changed..just the valve. But I will look at my blend door to ensure it is free. But I still need the dash pot to activate the valve on the steel tube.....the valve is there but the dash pot is gone....thx. To everyone
Old 11-13-2016, 09:57 AM
CREWZIN
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

On my 87 the control valve went bad and my mechanic replaced it with a different kind. Doesn't look the same but works like a charm.

Old 11-13-2016, 01:33 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by CREWZIN
On my 87 the control valve went bad and my mechanic replaced it with a different kind. Doesn't look the same but works like a charm.

Where do you access your emergency hood release cables? That one looks like it hangs out underneath somewhere. Cool idea.

I went with the hand tool so the mall rats can't open her up while I'm not looking.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:40 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Ol Vette, this might be a better answer for you:
youtube.com/watch?v=RRFuBmzpRAw

The valve shown in this video is for an '84, but it might work for you!

Old 11-18-2016, 02:05 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The information in this link might be useful:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html
Old 11-18-2016, 06:22 AM
tmirisola
Burning Brakes

Received 189 Likes on 115 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To 87 coupe hot water shut off valve