Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

"Its a c5, thats like the c4 of corvettes".

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 04:20 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame
Big and lumpy, I think not. I love the c4 but comments like yours certainly don't help if there is a internal divide.
Sorry, not trying to offend anyone, especially a Corvette brother! Just my personal opinion! My C4 has been insulted a few times, too, but I just smile. As I've said before, I give and get waves from almost every Corvette owner I see. I just like the smooth lines of the C4 better than the lines of the C7. Please don't take offense! I don't think there is any "internal divide". (And I know I can't keep up with you!)

My friends new C7.R is nice, but sitting in it and looking it over didn't make me any less happy with my C4.

Last edited by Hot Rod Roy; 11-28-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:28 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Sorry, not trying to offend anyone, especially a Corvette brother! Just my personal opinion! My C4 has been insulted a few times, too, but I just smile. As I've said before, I give and get waves from almost every Corvette owner I see. I just like the smooth lines of the C4 better than the lines of the C7. Please don't take offense! I don't think there is any "internal divide". (And I know I can't keep up with you!)

No I don't take offense to that. I agree with you though, there is nothing more silly then browsing the different gen forums and seeing guys bash each others cars. Corvettes are Corvettes and of course people would have a preference to their models. Absolutely nothing wrong with that
The following users liked this post:
Hot Rod Roy (12-02-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 05:38 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by RIC96
"Its a c5, thats like the c4 of corvettes"

I don't even know what this means.
I agree, makes no sense... must be just a silly phrase to get reactions.

My favorite silly phrase: "It's bad luck to be superstitious."

In my mind, the only red-headed stepchild in Corvette history is the 165-horsepower 1975 model. That's a sad HP number for any V8 engine, and a tragic HP number for Corvettes. The redeeming factor is the super sexy big hips slim waist (a.k.a. Coke bottle) shape of the C3 cars... man oh man! Anyway, the original 53-54 "blue flame" six-cylinder engines were no better for power, but that output was very good for a six-cylinder in the 50s... besides, I'm not about to bash the OG Corvette!

Last edited by DGXR; 11-28-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:43 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Big and lumpy, I think not. I love the c4 but comments like yours certainly don't help if there is a internal divide.

That is certainly a beautiful Corvette. No, not big and lumpy. Sleek, sharp and crisp. All the creases are ironed with extra starch. The headlamps stare unflinchingly at all comers. "Bring it", she whispers...

It's not about keeping four round tail lights. Rather it's about keeping the sense of design heritage while pushing new boundaries.

Oh I do prefer the softer flowing lines of my C4. But like ALL Corvettes it is a stunning work of art. At least the ones that haven't been molested.

Which is why there is a framed generations photo over my mantle. And it's why I don't get the disrespect.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:46 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Renfield
That is certainly a beautiful Corvette. No, not big and lumpy. Sleek, sharp and crisp. All the creases are ironed with extra starch. The headlamps stare unflinchingly at all comers. "Bring it", she whispers...

It's not about keeping four round tail lights. Rather it's about keeping the sense of design heritage while pushing new boundaries.

Oh I do prefer the softer flowing lines of my C4. But like ALL Corvettes it is a stunning work of art. At least the ones that haven't been molested.

Which is why there is a framed generations photo over my mantle. And it's why I don't get the disrespect.
This is a smart man and mine has a secret under the hood
Old 11-29-2016, 10:43 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

I went to a car show last summer and pulled into a space at the end of a row of c6's and C7's. They never even acknowledged me. They all had the snob attitude. There they were, all sitting in their color coordinated chairs with their backs towards me. I thought, oh well...F--ck Em. As soon as one of the "better" Corvettes in the center of the row left, I did the unthinkable. I moved my 85 right into his spot! They all then moved all their chairs again close to the empty spot were I was originally parked. I ran into a friend of mine with his 4X4 mudder truck. Guess were I got him to park? Priceless!
Old 11-29-2016, 11:25 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
I went to a car show last summer and pulled into a space at the end of a row of c6's and C7's. They never even acknowledged me. They all had the snob attitude. There they were, all sitting in their color coordinated chairs with their backs towards me. I thought, oh well...F--ck Em. As soon as one of the "better" Corvettes in the center of the row left, I did the unthinkable. I moved my 85 right into his spot! They all then moved all their chairs again close to the empty spot were I was originally parked. I ran into a friend of mine with his 4X4 mudder truck. Guess were I got him to park? Priceless!
That is despicable. My last cars and coffee I walked past a mclaren and Huracan to walk up to a lovely 93 LT1 to talk about vettes with the owner. He was a cool dude and we will hit the track together next season.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:40 AM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
Good for you! Did you make a point of walking up and saying HI! real loud? Like, loud enough to startle them! Hahaha That's what I would have done Then ask what mods the C7s have... because as cool as they are, there is no "car show" in a brand new factory stock car *unless* it's a rare model, has special mods, or some limited factory equipment. The new COPO Camaros come to mind, I'd love to see one of those up close and factory stock.
https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/copo-camaro.html

That is despicable. My last cars and coffee I walked past a mclaren and Huracan to walk up to a lovely 93 LT1 to talk about vettes with the owner. He was a cool dude and we will hit the track together next season.
Awesome you made a connection! But weren't you curious at all about those hand-made exotics? I would have at least taken a quick look at both of them. It's not every day you see a Huracan, not around here anyway!
Old 11-29-2016, 11:58 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DGXR
Good for you! Did you make a point of walking up and saying HI! real loud? Like, loud enough to startle them! Hahaha That's what I would have done Then ask what mods the C7s have... because as cool as they are, there is no "car show" in a brand new factory stock car *unless* it's a rare model, has special mods, or some limited factory equipment. The new COPO Camaros come to mind, I'd love to see one of those up close and factory stock.
https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/copo-camaro.html

Awesome you made a connection! But weren't you curious at all about those hand-made exotics? I would have at least taken a quick look at both of them. It's not every day you see a Huracan, not around here anyway!
Honestly at cars and coffee I see more lambos and ferraris then vettes anyway lol I was honestly more interested in the C4 and talking about the cars. He didn't know my car had over 700hp and was shocked to see the blower and meth injection.

My Convo with the Lambo would have went like this.
Me -Sick Lambo! Very nice!
Lambo Owner - Nods....

Last edited by thegame; 11-29-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:34 PM
Edv92c4
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mike100
It is just class warfare amongst ourselves. I remember when the c6 subforum was practically intolerable with the same mindset...you know, people who say take it to the dealer and you couldn't possibly work on such a fine high tech super car all by yourself...

Now that subforum is full of dyi posts and "how do I fix this or that" problem posts. Or maybe "My C6 has 230k miles on it, how much do you think it is worth?" ..etc. There will always be new car prestige owners and some that find that option cheaper than paying for endless repairs, but often the owners of older models are painted with a wide brush claiming they can't afford a new one, which is often not the case.
Funny thing...I was speaking to a guy I know who happens to own a C7 and was telling him how I couldn't afford a C7 (love my 92 anyway)...it was he who said "well Ed...maybe if you didn't have 10 other cars in the garage as well...". I realized he was right...maybe if I didn't have car ADHD...
Old 11-29-2016, 10:48 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

Yea, love my C6 but my C4 was my first and was totally a drivers car. Man that thing was fun to drive!

1st

Current
Old 12-01-2016, 02:37 AM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Saying the C5 is the C4 of Corvettes is like saying the C7 is the C6 or Corvettes. It's trying to be witty, but its simply being stupid.

Speaking of Cars & Coffee, the irony is before I got the Vette I went to C&C a lot. Once I got it I basically never attend. I have my car, and I brew my own coffee. So there you go.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:08 AM
Spasetrucker
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Is That a Maytag

This is a smart man and mine has a secret under the hood

Seeing your picture reminded me of a time long ago. I took the water pump from my TriumphTR7 in to my local O' Reilly store and one of the guys who worked there asked me if it came off of a washing machine.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:12 AM
Spasetrucker
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JD Shredds
Saying the C5 is the C4 of Corvettes is like saying the C7 is the C6 or Corvettes. It's trying to be witty, but its simply being stupid.

Speaking of Cars & Coffee, the irony is before I got the Vette I went to C&C a lot. Once I got it I basically never attend. I have my car, and I brew my own coffee. So there you go.

Maybe we could debate about which is the best coffee.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:05 AM
kenpeindl
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Good article.

https://www.drivetribe.com/p/Fc_QU9e...Q328ilR9uJDhKQ
Old 12-01-2016, 08:15 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by kenpeindl

I liked this line: "The C4 featured all new and very modern lightweight chassis that was so good that even the modern day C7 Corvette uses the same basic layout". Do tell...

'91+ Dash is a dead ringer too.
The following users liked this post:
Greg Gore (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 09:27 AM
95tealconvert
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Renfield
I found this quote in another thread from a forum member in Sacramento and it left me scratching my head.

He's clearly a C7 guy. No trouble there. I personally think the C7 is, well, not my cup of tea. But I can still see the heritage from all past generations reflected in it's design. Hell, the interior is a dead ringer. And it's still a Corvette.

I think the C4 is the C4 of Corvettes. And the C5,6,7 are standing on some very tall shoulders.
I have given some thought to the original quote and title to this thread "Its a c5, thats like the c4 of corvettes".

I suspect what it means is the C5 vette is now in the place of what the C4 vette was in for years which means it has enough newer generations built ahead of it and has been out long enough that many have forgotten how important this generation is and was to the Corvette brand.

Seems like each generation goes through this as it is not old enough to be a classic yet but also not new enough to be so relevant.

For myself the more I learn about Corvettes the more I respect and appreciate each generation.

Last edited by 95tealconvert; 12-01-2016 at 09:28 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To "Its a c5, thats like the c4 of corvettes".

Old 12-01-2016, 10:09 AM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It's possible the C7 styling will eventually grow on me but for now it seems excessive and a little over the top for my more conservative tastes. My concern over it is that history may judge it be too trendy a few years from now. I think I prefer that it didn't resemble the Batmobile so much but that's just me and I'm sure the kids are drawn to all the styling excesses and currently saving up for one.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:47 AM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JD Shredds
That makes perfect sense to me. Before your Corvette, maybe you didn't have anything that you wanted to do more than look at cars and talk with car people. But now that you have a Corvette, you definitely have something better to do!
Old 12-01-2016, 11:49 AM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by myredhead1

Current
That is one very good looking car. Makes me want to start shopping for a C6...

EDIT: Does it have a widebody kit? Those fender flares are huge!

Last edited by DGXR; 12-01-2016 at 11:50 AM.

Quick Reply: "Its a c5, thats like the c4 of corvettes".