Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 headlight

Old 12-02-2016, 03:26 PM
Larceny
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 headlight

I am looking for c4 brass replacement gears & new bump stops, anyone know where these are available?
Old 12-02-2016, 04:06 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Go with the plastic gear instead, I was going to go with the brass but other forum members explained to me, it'd be better to have the gear as the weakest link, as it's only a 15 dollar part on ebay
Old 12-02-2016, 04:15 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Larceny
I am looking for c4 brass replacement gears & new bump stops, anyone know where these are available?
You asked this same question on the C5 site, and you have no info on your personal info page. What year are you asking about? Do you think we are all psychic?

Your plastic gears lasted 30 +/- years. Why do you want brass? Do you really have a gear problem? What bump stops?

Welcome to the Forum! We're here to help!

Old 12-02-2016, 05:35 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Welcome to the forum and do not use metal gears the motor and worm gear will cost alot more.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:42 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

welcome aboard- I just bought my 1985 this past August and had to replace my gears as well - I used the plastic gears from Zip if I remember correctly, cleaned everything added a little grease and was good to go
Old 12-03-2016, 05:49 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by sb66
welcome aboard- I just bought my 1985 this past August and had to replace my gears as well - I used the plastic gears from Zip if I remember correctly, cleaned everything added a little grease and was good to go
Old 12-04-2016, 02:03 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by Larceny
What year? http://www.corvetteamerica.com/cf/di...3A%20headlight

I like brass myself. Plastic grows old and can crack. Who knows how long they will make the part? Everyone talks of the weak link but I'm not sold on that. I have seen posts of the cracked pucks or bump stops or whatever you call them but hardly hear of the gears breaking after service as a "weak link".
Old 12-05-2016, 06:39 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Originally Posted by aklim
What year? http://www.corvetteamerica.com/cf/di...3A%20headlight

I like brass myself. Plastic grows old and can crack. Who knows how long they will make the part? Everyone talks of the weak link but I'm not sold on that. I have seen posts of the cracked pucks or bump stops or whatever you call them but hardly hear of the gears breaking after service as a "weak link".

Let me be your 1st. Headlight quit opening and I purchased new pellets and took unit apart. At first glance pellets still looked new (8 years old). Then I saw the gear cracked. All is well again.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:33 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kenmohr

Let me be your 1st. Headlight quit opening and I purchased new pellets and took unit apart. At first glance pellets still looked new (8 years old). Then I saw the gear cracked. All is well again.
The gear is plastic and old. Cracking is probably going to happen sooner or later. Mine had spider cracks. Did the steel worm gear ever mash the plastic gears?
Old 12-05-2016, 12:30 PM
kenmohr
Drifting

The gear is plastic and old. Cracking is probably going to happen sooner or later. Mine had spider cracks. Did the steel worm gear ever mash the plastic gears?
The 1st ones lasted 22 years and the plastic gear was still good. I did change it and the non-existing pellets. The second one the gear just cracked on its own. The material it was made of was defective I guess. It had one crack from the teeth to the center which let the gear expand. Just a freak thing. (I hope)
Old 12-05-2016, 12:40 PM
aklim
Team Owner

The 1st ones lasted 22 years and the plastic gear was still good. I did change it and the non-existing pellets. The second one the gear just cracked on its own. The material it was made of was defective I guess. It had one crack from the teeth to the center which let the gear expand. Just a freak thing. (I hope)
Fair enough. A possible sacrifice. My issue is that I wasn't sure if it would be manufactured for much longer. Also this is not what I usually hear which is the pucks disintegrate. I replaced mine with brass and kept the plastic ones for spares. Happens to be I looked at it and found some hairline spider web cracking on the plastic
Old 12-05-2016, 06:17 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

During his C4 classes Gordon Killebrew recommends switching from glass headlights to plastic ones. He passed both around the class and you could really tell the difference in weight. It makes sense to use them as they will cause less strain and wear on all the headlight motors, gears and buttons.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:20 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
During his C4 classes Gordon Killebrew recommends switching from glass headlights to plastic ones. He passed both around the class and you could really tell the difference in weight.

It makes sense to use them as they will cause less strain and wear on all the headlight motors, gears and buttons.
Are you talking about the headlights itself or the gears? I know they make plastic gears but not glass.

From that standpoint, I would agree however, the question is how much more stress will the metal gear cause vs plastic? Is it significant in that it pushes the envelope of the motor? Also, as I asked before, how long do you think that they will keep making the gear? We have a vehicle that is over 20 years old and the aftermarket will not always be there. When the plastic gear has issues, I'd much rather not have to hear "NLA" and have to search ebay for a salvage unit.

With all due respect to GK, while I agree that plastic is better for the motor (not sure how much better), I have to ask if he thought of the availability of the item in the future.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:50 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Fair enough. A possible sacrifice. My issue is that I wasn't sure if it would be manufactured for much longer. Also this is not what I usually hear which is the pucks disintegrate. I replaced mine with brass and kept the plastic ones for spares. Happens to be I looked at it and found some hairline spider web cracking on the plastic
Hope you don't need to but sounds like a good move.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:22 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Hope you don't need to but sounds like a good move.
It was a good move to replace them when I was there. I didn't notice it at the time till much later when I checked carefully and with a bright light behind, I saw some hairline cracks in the gears. Just a cursory look and you probably could miss it.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:51 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
During his C4 classes Gordon Killebrew recommends switching from glass headlights to plastic ones. He passed both around the class and you could really tell the difference in weight. It makes sense to use them as they will cause less strain and wear on all the headlight motors, gears and buttons.
The only thing I don't like about the plastic headlights is how they need polished from time to time.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:03 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JimLentz
The only thing I don't like about the plastic headlights is how they need polished from time to time.
I'm switched to Corvettehid.com but I can't get a hold of him and after the years, I am having issues with the connectors.

Time to switch to LED. What does anyone think of the weight of http://www.ebay.com/itm/162081918608?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT or http://www.ebay.com/itm/252631632700?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT? Probably be lighter.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 headlight

Old 12-07-2016, 05:46 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

It was a good move to replace them when I was there. I didn't notice it at the time till much later when I checked carefully and with a bright light behind, I saw some hairline cracks in the gears. Just a cursory look and you probably could miss it.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:39 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm switched to Corvettehid.com but I can't get a hold of him and after the years, I am having issues with the connectors.

Time to switch to LED. What does anyone think of the weight of GENSSI or GROTE? Probably be lighter.
So that's what happens when they stop making them?
Old 12-07-2016, 09:46 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by A Peter C4
So that's what happens when they stop making them?
I suspect the company went out of business. Great product while it lasted. He was cool about it a few years back when I had issues. Took it back and redid the connectors and the left was and still is good. I need the right side taken care of but if his site is down, IDK how to reach him. Hence I need to find a replacement. It seems that playing perdiddle in WI gets me a "fixit" ticket.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C4 headlight