C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1989 Corvette keyless entry/remote start

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 12:06 AM
bsstaats
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 1989 Corvette keyless entry/remote start

Hey guys I have an '89 and I am currently doing a complete interior restoration. I thought that while I had the dash apart I would install a keyless entry/remote start system to make my life a little easier. I thought that all I would need is a DBALL2 bypass module and a compatable viper or avital system, but know it seems that the DBALL2 system will not be compatible with my '89. So my question is: have any of you already done this modification or something similar, and if so what do I need to purchase to make it work? Thanks.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:24 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

I put a keyless entry system into my '84 and love it! It doesn't have the remote start feature, but I don't want that anyway! It's a complex procedure, and the instructions weren't the best, but I'm okay with electronics, so got it done! It's a Ready Remote kit, and they are available on eBay.

If you're handy with electronics, it shouldn't be hard to add Remote Start, unless you have a "chipped" key. I don't know about that. I built mine to also control my antenna.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:46 PM
bsstaats
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
I put a keyless entry system into my '84 and love it! It doesn't have the remote start feature, but I don't want that anyway! It's a complex procedure, and the instructions weren't the best, but I'm okay with electronics, so got it done! It's a Ready Remote kit, and they are available on eBay.

If you're handy with electronics, it shouldn't be hard to add Remote Start, unless you have a "chipped" key. I don't know about that. I built mine to also control my antenna.

Thanks for the help, I do have a chipped key but it sounds like I just need to measure its resistance and then wire in a resistor of a matching value. I am good with electronics and enjoy projects like this I just didn't want to jump into it until I had a general idea of what I was jumping in to. Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 Corvette keyless entry/remote start

Quick Reply: 1989 Corvette keyless entry/remote start