C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Corvette Mods power antenna

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 03:34 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Corvette Mods power antenna

Thought I'd share this with the community here. As you know, it is almost impossible to find a power antenna mast to replace a broken antenna. All that is out there is the repair kit for a broken ribbon, not a broken antenna. Unless of course you want to spend $$$ for a used power antenna. Then I found this over at Corvette Mods (it is still advertised):

https://www.corvettemods.com/C4-Corv...na_p_8450.html

So, for $99 I jumped on it. A OEM power antenna for $99! Gotta have it, right? Well, what I received was NOT OEM. It was a Metra universal antenna from Ecklers. Corvette Mods sent me an Ecklers part. Now, maybe this antenna will work better than the POS that came with the car; but that's not what I wanted. Very disappointed and will be returning.

So, for those of you looking for an OEM antenna to replace yours, keep looking.

Scooter Mcfly(phil)
Old 12-06-2016, 03:46 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Note: if your browser redirects you to Corvette Mods main page, just search for part# 8450. That should take you to the correct page.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:59 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Originally Posted by scooter mcfly
Note: if your browser redirects you to Corvette Mods main page, just search for part# 8450. That should take you to the correct page.
You might mention in a follow up post how difficult the refund process is/was!
Old 12-06-2016, 06:33 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
You might mention in a follow up post how difficult the refund process is/was!
Will definitely let you know how it goes.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:47 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Will definitely let you know how it goes.
Could have gotten the mast and ribbon off ebay for $20. Good luck if they will take it back it will cost you more that it was worth. They are on the other side of the lake from me. No one here will use them they have to spam the internet with their reselling crap.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 12-06-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:20 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Could have gotten the mast and ribbon off ebay for $20. Good luck if they will take it back it will cost you more that it was worth. They are on the other side of the lake from me. No one here will use them they have to spam the internet with their reselling crap.
You misunderstand. The mast and ribbon only repair a broken ribbon. There is no repair kit for a broken mast. You either have to buy the whole antenna or find a non functional one and cannibalize the mast. You have to replace the entire cylinder that houses the antenna mast. That's what I had to do last time.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:29 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

Are these antenna's From Corvette Mods correct for year type as true replacements?Never had a problem with mine but curious if I ever need one.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:37 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Try ebay motors. I picked up a brand new (old stock) antenna for my 88 3 years ago, $159. A Chevy dealership was selling their old stock. Arrived in a sealed AC/Delco package. Was a pain it install. I kept the original. Motor still runs. All it needs is a new mast and cable. I didn't feel like rebuilding it.

Last edited by HAD2HAV2; 12-06-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:04 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

According to their website they are OEM and year specific. The picture shown was the same as the antenna mast assembly that's in my car. They emailed and apologized and said to return it. The part they sent didn't even come from them. It came from Ecklers. So I don't know if they're actually selling an OEM part (which they're advertising) or if it's bait and switch. But I'll update as things progress.
The following users liked this post:
A Peter C4 (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 10:25 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Factory original antennas for early cars are long gone and you can only find used ones or buy remanufactured ones, which Ecklers has just got back in stock. I recently purchased a used factory original one from a forum member here for under $100. Which one did you end up with? Do you have a picture of it? If it looked different but still fit and worked then who cares? Unless you're going for NCRS points.

Last edited by Dt86; 12-06-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:52 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

You misunderstand. The mast and ribbon only repair a broken ribbon. There is no repair kit for a broken mast. You either have to buy the whole antenna or find a non functional one and cannibalize the mast. You have to replace the entire cylinder that houses the antenna mast. That's what I had to do last time.
Really that is news to me. I fixed mine years ago and the price has gone up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CORVETTE-Pow...o8ASYQ&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...+mast&_sacat=0

Last edited by antfarmer2; 12-07-2016 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:05 AM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Really that is news to me. I fixed mine years ago and the price has gone up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CORVETTE-Pow...o8ASYQ&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...+mast&_sacat=0

You're not understanding what happened. Those parts are to repair a broken ribbon. They do not replace the mast. Only the uppermost section of the telescoping part. The metal tubes that telescope when it extends and retracts. That is what is broken. The ribbon is intact. No one sells just the mast assembly. That's the brass tube that houses the mast and the ribbon.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:16 AM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Originally Posted by Dt86
Factory original antennas for early cars are long gone and you can only find used ones or buy remanufactured ones, which Ecklers has just got back in stock. I recently purchased a used factory original one from a forum member here for under $100. Which one did you end up with? Do you have a picture of it? If it looked different but still fit and worked then who cares? Unless you're going for NCRS points.
The last one I purchased was a non functioning antenna. I bought it for parts and paid $30 on eBay. Was searching for another one when I found this at corvette mods. Bought it mainly if it actually was a functional OEM part as advertised. I'm just sharing what may be another source for this "hard to find for under $200" part. Corvette miss told me to send it back. I really do want to find out if they are in fact selling an OEM antenna as advertised. I really don't care about the antenna, but if this does turn out to be an inexpensive source for them, don't you think people would want to know?
Old 12-07-2016, 12:31 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

You're not understanding what happened. Those parts are to repair a broken ribbon. They do not replace the mast. Only the uppermost section of the telescoping part. The metal tubes that telescope when it extends and retracts. That is what is broken. The ribbon is intact. No one sells just the mast assembly. That's the brass tube that houses the mast and the ribbon.
I guess there is a communication problem. The one I got had 4 or 5 sections to it. That extended and retracted. Not sure what you are talking about. These are the ribbon and the mast combined.

They are not just the top part with the ribbon.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 12-07-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:21 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

I guess there is a communication problem. The one I got had 4 or 5 sections to it. That extended and retracted. Not sure what you are talking about. These are the ribbon and the mast combined.

They are not just the top part with the ribbon.
The 84-89 antenna is different than the 90-96. You cannot change just the mast. You must change the entire cylinder that the mast retracts into. The parts you are referencing will not fit an 84-89 corvette.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:39 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

The 84-89 antenna is different than the 90-96. You cannot change just the mast. You must change the entire cylinder that the mast retracts into. The parts you are referencing will not fit an 84-89 corvette.
Posting the year does seem to make a differance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-87-Chevy-...xYQIpI&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-AM...BYNoPZ&vxp=mtr

I would call vette2vette big corvette junkyard and good info on parts.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 12-07-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:55 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Just submitted a RMA to Corvette Mods. They say up to three days to respond. I requested the OEM part they advertised. So, we'll see how this goes.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Mods power antenna

Old 12-07-2016, 05:16 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Compliments of Wikipedia: When referring to auto parts, OEM refers to the manufacturer of the original equipment, that is, the parts assembled and installed during the construction of a new vehicle. In contrast, aftermarket parts are those made by companies other than the OEM, that might be installed as replacements after the car comes out of the factory. For example, if Ford used Autolitespark plugs, Exide batteries, Bosch, Allied Motion Technologies, fuel injectors, and Ford's own engine blocks and heads when building a car, then car restorers and collectorsconsider those to be the OEM parts.[citation needed] Other-brand parts would be considered aftermarket, such as Champion spark plugs, DieHard batteries, Kinsler fuel injectors, and BMP engine blocks and heads. Many auto parts manufacturers sell parts through multiple channels, for example to car makers for installation during new-vehicle construction, to car makers for resale as automaker-branded replacement parts, and through general merchandising supply chains, any given brand of part can be OE on some vehicle models and aftermarket on others.

Last edited by Dt86; 12-07-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:47 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Just submitted a RMA to Corvette Mods. They say up to three days to respond. I requested the OEM part they advertised. So, we'll see how this goes.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:22 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Hey, trying to stay positive here. and hopeful

Quick Reply: Corvette Mods power antenna