C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

code 36 help, maf burn off relay

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 02:26 PM
tomcamaro97
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default code 36 help, maf burn off relay

OK, so heres where im at... im about to ask a tuner if i can just shut it off at the ECU, lol....

my car runs and drives fine... but i keep popping a stupid 36 code and hate looking at an SES light.

Ive replaced both relays, ive replaced my circular Maf with a new bosche one... that seems a diff style but is supposed to function properly for the car.

i have a full wiring schematic for the maf power and burnoff relays... i have used a power probe to change the signal wire coming from the ecu to ground , to simulate what the ecu would do.. when you do it , the burnoff wire on the Maf gets power .. so that verifies all wiring from there to the maf is correct..

Ive then ran the car, for about 10-15 mins.. with a volt meter on that same ecu signal wire, i shut the car off and that wire goes from powered to ground for about 1/8 of a second. so that verifies the wiring from the ecu to the relays is good.

i thought that signal is supposed to be longer.. but if its getting signal its getting signal..

anyone have any thougths? I really hate seeing an SES.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:18 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcamaro97
OK, so heres where im at... im about to ask a tuner if i can just shut it off at the ECU, lol....

my car runs and drives fine... but i keep popping a stupid 36 code and hate looking at an SES light.

Ive replaced both relays, ive replaced my circular Maf with a new bosche one... that seems a diff style but is supposed to function properly for the car.

i have a full wiring schematic for the maf power and burnoff relays... i have used a power probe to change the signal wire coming from the ecu to ground , to simulate what the ecu would do.. when you do it , the burnoff wire on the Maf gets power .. so that verifies all wiring from there to the maf is correct..

Ive then ran the car, for about 10-15 mins.. with a volt meter on that same ecu signal wire, i shut the car off and that wire goes from powered to ground for about 1/8 of a second. so that verifies the wiring from the ecu to the relays is good.

i thought that signal is supposed to be longer.. but if its getting signal its getting signal..

anyone have any thougths? I really hate seeing an SES.
Here's a super long thread with a lot of very detailed information on error code 36 troubleshooting:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-36-help.html

Post #52 has some interesting information with an oscilloscope trace that shows exactly how burnoff works.

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 01-04-2017 at 03:24 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:47 PM
Jstockton
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
FedEx Bowl 4 St. Jude '09
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

My 89 does the exact same thing and I have tried everything you have, new relays, MAF, checked wiring..

I just ordered a new ECU and will put my chip in it. I will let you know if it fixes it.

I am out of options and hate seeing the CEL.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:43 PM
tomcamaro97
Advanced

stockton: Just an FYI...im gonnna go through that thread one more time... but i contacted PCM of NC who did my tune... they said if i send my chip back in to them theyll reflash it deleting that function from my tune... not ideal... but eff it .if it keeps the stupid SES off for this horribly useless thing.. im gonna do it...
Old 01-05-2017, 05:44 PM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 189 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

I'm at the same place. Checked wiring, signal to ECM, couple of MAFs, blah blah.

What does it take to get the function removed for original chip?
Old 01-05-2017, 06:18 PM
tomcamaro97
Advanced

Originally Posted by kael
I'm at the same place. Checked wiring, signal to ECM, couple of MAFs, blah blah.

What does it take to get the function removed for original chip?
​​​​​​​I dont really know, pcm of nc tuned my ecu with a daughter board, since they recenttly did my tune, they said send it back and theyll remove it no prob. Don't think you.can have your stock ecu cjanged to remove this, you'll prob need a chip or daughterboard... But I dont know for sure, I never tried to program one of these myself

Get notified of new replies

To code 36 help, maf burn off relay

Quick Reply: code 36 help, maf burn off relay