Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Sound system and shock questions...

Old 01-15-2017, 11:07 AM
Joe1988vette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound system and shock questions...

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the forum as I just purchsed my alltime dream car, 1988 35th Anniverssary...
I am experiencing some issues with the radio, the passenger side speaker is not operating (I checked all connections), radio has a hissing sound when I accelerate and while at idle but I want to change the entire system to a updated system anyways. Something with Bluetooth, Back-up camera, all the bells and whistles. Does anyone have any suggestions on receivers and speakers? I want something that fits in the original location of the factory radio.
Shocks are pretty gone also, look like the originals. Any suggestions on shocks, where I can find any and what is a fair price? Any recommendations...
Lastly, the power antenna does not fully extend and sometimes gets stuck in the up position. Any recommendation on a fix for this?
Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post...
Old 01-15-2017, 01:45 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe1988vette
Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the forum as I just purchsed my alltime dream car, 1988 35th Anniverssary...
I am experiencing some issues with the radio, the passenger side speaker is not operating (I checked all connections), radio has a hissing sound when I accelerate and while at idle but I want to change the entire system to a updated system anyways. Something with Bluetooth, Back-up camera, all the bells and whistles. Does anyone have any suggestions on receivers and speakers? I want something that fits in the original location of the factory radio.
Shocks are pretty gone also, look like the originals. Any suggestions on shocks, where I can find any and what is a fair price? Any recommendations...
Lastly, the power antenna does not fully extend and sometimes gets stuck in the up position. Any recommendation on a fix for this?
Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post...
Congratulations on your 1988 35th anniversary corvette!

I am also a 1988 Corvette owner (non-anniversary though).

The problem with the speaker is likely the Bose amp for that speaker has gone bad, you could replace it... But since you want to upgrade the sound system then don't worry about that.

There are many choices of head units, so you will have to choose one that fits your needs/wants. Be aware that Bose sound system equipped cars (I'm assuming yours is) will require you to run new wires from the new head unit to your new speakers, and bypass the bose amps and wiring. You will also want to replace the speakers If you do this. stock bose equipped cars had small 4in speakers front and rear. You can replace them with after market 4in speakers or with a little work upsize them. 6x9 will fit in the back and 5.25in will fit in the doors. You will have to make some adpator mounting plates for the speakers if you choose to upsize them.

As for shocks You likely have Bilstiens which are very decent shocks, you can get them many online places like Corvette central, Eklers, zip corvette, I'm sure some of the vendors who support this forum sell them. If you prefer many local parts places will likely sell them also. Another option is to have them rebuilt by places like DRM (Doug Rippie Motorsports). Lots of options.

Hard to say what the antenna issue is without seeing it in person, but replacement motors and antennas can be purchased from online places like Corvette central, Eklers and Zip Corvette etc... or check out all the vendors who support this forum.

Any time you buy an older car I would recommend you change the fluids as a preventative measure, JMHO.

Hope you enjoy your 88' Corvette and post some pictures when you get a chance.

-DMITTZ

Last edited by DMITTZ; 01-15-2017 at 02:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Joe1988vette (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 05:43 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

If you're just grocery getting, I would use the Koni Reds. You'll be surprised on how much better the ride is with the Konis vs the Bilsteins or any other street shock brand.
The following users liked this post:
Joe1988vette (01-15-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 09:31 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,704 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by Nokones
If you're just grocery getting, I would use the Koni Reds. You'll be surprised on how much better the ride is with the Konis vs the Bilsteins or any other street shock brand.
I have had the same experience with Konis.

Get notified of new replies

To Sound system and shock questions...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sound system and shock questions...