Draining Fuel Rails Inlet Forever..

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 09:49 PM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 189 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
Default Draining Fuel Rails Inlet Forever..

Howdy,

I've in the middle of removing my intake manifold. When opening fuel inlet line to drain the rails, the draining didn't end. After I caught half a gallon of fuel, I stopped. Unfortunately, already had the cold start line off also, it kept dripping keeping a wet steam on the floor. Got the line closed, finally stopped.

I was thinking that with my unlevel garage and front end a bit lower than the rear, the problem is likely gas from the tank, so I drained a bit while running a fan to clear out the nasty. Considering draining the whole tank!

Thinking more when calm an hour later, the idea of tank being too high didn't make sense. The fuel is pumped out the tank, it's not going to just flow.

Occurs to me right now maybe the line was full of fuel, so the problem was siphoning down the line.

So, where am I wrong here? Is that much gas normal?

Have to figure this out so my wife stops sniffing and frowning.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:26 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by kael
Howdy,

I've in the middle of removing my intake manifold. When opening fuel inlet line to drain the rails, the draining didn't end. After I caught half a gallon of fuel, I stopped. Unfortunately, already had the cold start line off also, it kept dripping keeping a wet steam on the floor. Got the line closed, finally stopped.

I was thinking that with my unlevel garage and front end a bit lower than the rear, the problem is likely gas from the tank, so I drained a bit while running a fan to clear out the nasty. Considering draining the whole tank!

Thinking more when calm an hour later, the idea of tank being too high didn't make sense. The fuel is pumped out the tank, it's not going to just flow.

Occurs to me right now maybe the line was full of fuel, so the problem was siphoning down the line.

So, where am I wrong here? Is that much gas normal?

Have to figure this out so my wife stops sniffing and frowning.
Yeah have noticed this on my 85, the fuel kept coming out of the lines to the fuel rail. Same problem with the little woman coming out flapping arms like mad complaining of headache from the smell

There was a large puddle of fuel under the car, I have no sense of smell so lucky she noticed

I now clamp the flexible lines when changing injectors,
I had to stop the nagging and fire hazard.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:49 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Pry the rubber bib up on the right side of the fuel inlet door. You can take a small vice grip and pinch the rubber outlet line to stop the fuel from being drawn out of the tank. I believe it is the rubber line closest to you.
This is also a good time to check that the drain tube in the bib is clear and free of crud.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:07 AM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Think getting the tank low in fuel will work? I happen to have four 5 gallon tanks ready for gas, little leftover from when I learned ethanol is bad.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:10 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

I have recommended using a rubber cap plug on the lines.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:19 PM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Ah, a rubber cap would be great, any recommendations where to buy? A balloon is a poor idea.

To update for others in the future, draining about 10 gallons for them full fuel tank was sufficient. After that, opening the fuel rails only dripped less than a 1/4 cup of gas.

I made a funnel to catch this out of an old oil bottle to dump this in whatever, I used a "garage" measuring cup. No way my wife will ever use it.

Get notified of new replies

To Draining Fuel Rails Inlet Forever..

Quick Reply: Draining Fuel Rails Inlet Forever..