Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

paint estament in Indy, ouch

Old 01-18-2017, 03:24 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

I'm very sorry for your health struggles and for the loss of you wife.

My advise would be this:

First, if you need the money for health related things spend it on that instead.

If you can afford it, it sounds like the car has sentimental value, so if it will make you happy to spend the 6k on a new paint job done properly, then do it. If you prefer to spend the money on another area of your life then do that instead. Basically do what you can afford and will make you happy. As you already know you likely won't recoup the money spent so I would say it should be considered money spent to make you happy not as an investment.

In your situation I wouldn't try to do paint myself as it sounds like that might put a strain on your health.

Wish you all the best and hope your health improves.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:39 PM
PSU69
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brian Felts
WOW I paint and have done complete high end in my garage, send me a friend request on Facebook and you can look at the pics. I will paint any Corvette for $3000.00 or less depending on the price of the paint. There is little to no surface area to a vette, its not my living so I can do it cheaper. I use Lesenol or Wanda base and clears.

Sorry about the hazy pic but my phone lens is scratched a little.
Where are you located?
Old 01-19-2017, 05:35 AM
Brian Felts
Advanced

Originally Posted by PSU69
Where are you located?

I am in Portsmouth Ohio, the zip is 45662. My Facebook is under Brian Felts if you can't see my pics send me a friend request.

I know a shop sees the flags and the Vette paint price goes up. Its the Labor cost not the car and all of the other things a shop has to pay to keek the doors open. Insurance pays much better and they make money faster in accident repair......I do it in my spare time in my garage but if you think about it a Vette is all glass and hood.

This is a 68 Bullet I did for a family in Cincinnati and a 67 Charger I am about ready to paint in the next few weeks.
Attached Images   
Old 01-23-2017, 03:14 PM
Brian Felts
Advanced

Here is two more "Garage paints" The vette was $2500.00 and the Chevelle was just under $4000.00.
Attached Images   
Old 02-14-2017, 07:56 AM
Brian Felts
Advanced

Finished the 67 Charger!
Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2017, 07:43 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by BLUDICE
Have you thought about MAACO - I know, but if you pay extra for prep (95% of successful paint jobs depends on prep work) get the upgrade package - AND have if stuff & buffed after it's good and dried - keep it in the garage as all Vettes should - I think you will be pleased.
I have to admit I've had both my kids cars done at Maaco. Both Honda Accords with peeling clear. I was very happy with the results. Especially with my daughters which is blue metallic. I think I spent 1500 on the pair.

The thing with Maaco is it's a franchise deal. Our local one is a a guy that likes to do good work. Some are just trying to turn a buck.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:26 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

$6,000 is a really good price - assuming it's a quality job.

The paint alone for my '58 is $3,000. The shop I use figures they can paint my car for about $20,000. Most of that is labor for bumper and trim removal etc.

I think Bruce Wentzel owns this car today.

Richard Newton
The R9G C4

Last edited by rfn026; 02-15-2017 at 08:27 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: paint estament in Indy, ouch