C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Upper Control Arm Spacers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 05:26 PM
my49chevytruck
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Upper Control Arm Spacers.

I have a 1949 chevy truck that I am going to be putting a C4 IFS in. I obtained the cross member from flat out engineering. Everything seems to be going good but I am missing a few upper control arm washers. Below is the mock up I have of enough for one side but I don't have all washer for the other side. I was able to find the small washers (GM Part #14047733) on corvette central but the larger washer (GM Part #14060157) I can't seem to find.

I have two questions:
1) Does anybody know where I can find the larger washer at besides a corvette junk yard
2) is the reason the larger washer now discontinued due to some upgrade and/or new procedure people are doing in place of the washer.

I have attached a photo of the one side I could mock up. Any advice would be helpful.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:50 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

What's wrong with using the small spherical washers at the front, too, plus some standard flat washers? Or weld the frame brackets to allow you to use only the small spherical washers at both places? You're obviously a creative guy, there's nothing magic about the larger spherical washers!

Say hi to Donnie!

Old 01-17-2017, 06:24 PM
my49chevytruck
7th Gear

Yea I didn't think about doing it like that with the washer but also didn't know if people started doing them different is why it started being discontinued.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:28 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by my49chevytruck
I have a 1949 chevy truck that I am going to be putting a C4 IFS in. I obtained the cross member from flat out engineering. Everything seems to be going good but I am missing a few upper control arm washers. Below is the mock up I have of enough for one side but I don't have all washer for the other side. I was able to find the small washers (GM Part #14047733) on corvette central but the larger washer (GM Part #14060157) I can't seem to find.

I have two questions:
1) Does anybody know where I can find the larger washer at besides a corvette junk yard
2) is the reason the larger washer now discontinued due to some upgrade and/or new procedure people are doing in place of the washer.

I have attached a photo of the one side I could mock up. Any advice would be helpful.

Looks like there's an eBay user that maybe has his offering incorrectly referenced as the "thinner" part number but dimensioned as 18mm which I believe is correct for the early cars on the forward location. He's a quite responsible reseller so you might just reach out to him. Many on here aren't familiar so maybe my mentioning "earlier" then the guys parting an '87 or earlier might see and respond here.

What is the thickness of the single you've got?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1996-Co...5YXCTl&vxp=mtr
Old 01-17-2017, 10:06 PM
thurman_merman
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Looks like there's an eBay user that maybe has his offering incorrectly referenced as the "thinner" part number but dimensioned as 18mm which I believe is correct for the early cars on the forward location. He's a quite responsible reseller so you might just reach out to him. Many on here aren't familiar so maybe my mentioning "earlier" then the guys parting an '87 or earlier might see and respond here.

What is the thickness of the single you've got?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1996-Co...5YXCTl&vxp=mtr
I'm glad you mentioned this guy. I was going to mention his eBay name, redneck43. He specializes in c4 small parts that are really hard to find. Bolts, nuts, screws, clips, etc. His phone number is in his profile also so you can call him and tell him exactly what you need and he will talk to you about it. That's what I did when I needed a certain thickness spring shim in the rear to install my z51 spring on my fe1 car. He's a good guy.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:17 PM
my49chevytruck
7th Gear

Wvzr-1 and Thurman I thank you both for the recommendation I'll look him up tomorrow night after I go back to the shop I'm working on my truck at. We were in the process of cutting the c-notches for the rack clearance when my miller plasma cutter quite that I bought 2 and half years ago so I was quite messed up in the mind with it costing my $1500+.. so I left without measure the length of the one I have. Guess I'll be calling miller first thing in the morning... ;-(
Old 01-18-2017, 01:40 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by my49chevytruck
my miller plasma cutter quit that I bought 2 and half years ago so I was quite messed up in the mind with it costing me $1500+..
Plasma cutters need to be kept clean inside, since they operate on very high voltage. Any dust, especially metallic dust, can become conductive and will damage the p.c. board.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:31 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

OP - I'd post your LOCATION and a WTB in the parts sub-section and maybe there's one just around the corner. "Redneck43" is for sure a go to guy but LOCATION is sometimes everything. HRR mention saying hello to Donnie so I'm guessing your likely on the "left coast". Do the WTB! Post your snapshot there also for identification.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:57 PM
MotorCity_87_C4
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My Corvette has shims in place of those two washers. The shims are used for the wheel alignment.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:20 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MotorCity_87_C4
My Corvette has shims in place of those two washers.
The spherical washers/spacers are used to minimize the stresses on the aluminum cross-shaft that would be created by flat washers or shims, since the two surfaces may not be parallel. There is a mating spherical recess in the cross-shaft.

49chevy, have you checked with Donnie at Flat-Out for those special spacers?

Old 01-20-2017, 04:14 PM
my49chevytruck
7th Gear

I haven't contacted Don, which is what I hadn't thought about doing.

The two of y'all got me worried about alignments after reading this. Thank goodness that obstacle is a year or so down the road.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Upper Control Arm Spacers.

Quick Reply: C4 Upper Control Arm Spacers.