C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1987 Corvette [ she is mine, lots of pics n questions, stop by often ]

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 08:49 PM
Buick350X
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeaaa my first MAJOR problem.

guy had to charge it for me to drive it home, battery lasted 2 day.

today it was dead, figured maybe it was flaky from sitting, to be safe I replace it with $130 autozone gold, been 5 hrs since I last drove it, batter down to 11.5 volts.

Ive don't nothing major, cept adjust the seat, power seats are known to do that. I do know how to test for drain but not cool, I wanted to drive it mon, I work 3 12hr days sun mon tue, not gonna have time to find it by mon to work when weather clears.

just to know, what is that switch next to the head light switch? only thing I played with that seemed to do nothing.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:26 PM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 189 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
i bought the bulb at a gas station for cheap.

experience is different for everyone.
Really? I guess looking on Amazon was the wrong thing. Oh well.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:37 PM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Buick350X
Yeaaa my first MAJOR problem.

guy had to charge it for me to drive it home, battery lasted 2 day.

today it was dead, figured maybe it was flaky from sitting, to be safe I replace it with $130 autozone gold, been 5 hrs since I last drove it, batter down to 11.5 volts.

Ive don't nothing major, cept adjust the seat, power seats are known to do that. I do know how to test for drain but not cool, I wanted to drive it mon, I work 3 12hr days sun mon tue, not gonna have time to find it by mon to work when weather clears.

just to know, what is that switch next to the head light switch? only thing I played with that seemed to do nothing.
That's the switch for your fog lights.

Wish I could help on your battery drain. They can be tough to nail down. Maybe trial and error and pulling fuses?
Old 01-30-2017, 02:47 AM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 231 Posts
Default battery drain

Just throwing this out there but check your under hood lights. I don't know how many I've seen disconnected when shopping for
​​​​​​​ a C4.
​​​​​​​

Last edited by ls777z; 01-30-2017 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:32 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Here's a little something I found helpful while tracking down a power drain, assuming it's something that goes through the fuse panel. You pull a fuse and plug this in it's place and plug the fuse into the tool. It shows how much is being drawn through the fuse. You can get it on ebay or at Harbor Freight for sure.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Buick350X (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 10:08 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,263 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph
Here's a little something I found helpful while tracking down a power drain, assuming it's something that goes through the fuse panel. You pull a fuse and plug this in it's place and plug the fuse into the tool. It shows how much is being drawn through the fuse. You can get it on ebay or at Harbor Freight for sure.

A big thank you to that!!
Old 01-31-2017, 10:52 AM
yd328
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Looks like a nice 87. Keep the pics coming

Gary
Old 01-31-2017, 10:35 PM
Buick350X
Instructor

so I got parts coming slow but surely.

Ill get my new badge tomorrow. How do they remove and or attach the best way???

gas tank one is missing, nose one is faded.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:03 PM
Buick350X
Instructor

Rear emblem on, to cold to finish the front....
Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2017, 07:41 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

pic down 5 from the top... your going to soon wear a hole in that plug wire.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:37 AM
Buick350X
Instructor

SO how and the heck does the headlight **** work? I got the one with the metal clip. Ive "shoved" it on, it seems to hold, then it pulls off the 2nd time. Can't see anything stand out as "wrong"???

Looking at B&W wiring diagram im lost here, wire bundle on drivers size, near brake booster, large gauge pink wire, is it the main + power wire?
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2017, 12:45 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

maybe try altering the shape of the retainer clip so it grabs more? grab a light and see if the triangular shaped rod is worn down?

as for electrical, ill have to defer to my collegues on that one!
Old 02-09-2017, 08:38 PM
Buick350X
Instructor

Just to updated things a bit with some more plugs I searched hard to find something neat in red

I spent more then I wanted but its super nice in person, even comes with a new cig lighter. The digital volt meter works both ways. Plugged the solar charger into it I bought on its own and it gave volts as it got more or less sun.

Just need some time to decide on a mounting position / location, might even hard wire it to keep ash tray door closed. was $20 free ship

http://bit.ly/2jyYeqy
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2017, 05:08 PM
Buick350X
Instructor

plastic plug for antenna hole, until one day when I can fill it in and shave it. [ keep junk out of hole ]

just some pics, went for a drive today. But was to wet to really enjoy it
Attached Images     
Old 02-13-2017, 05:36 PM
Buick350X
Instructor

2hr drive today, only a bit over 60 miles though, all sorts of traffic to get more use to it, { i want to make it a daily } still need to have the seat forward a bit for that long clutch throw, even a stop at McDonalds drive thru. At 223F the fan came on as it should [ thank goodness, hasn't been warm enough for it to turn on yet, so no clue it worked ]

Quick question, on a quick turn around, well tried to do a quick turn around, it wanted to grind going into R. Guessing you need to pause a sec or two to let internal parts slow down. Member my T5 doing that, till I got the hang of it.

Got closer to finding the darn turn signal flasher, but without removing the pass seat its hard to see or stay down there upside down long. but did find the two wires that go to it, just couldn't dig it out this time.

Someone could probably make a bundle making a work around. digital flasher with 2 quick connects to just by pass the buried stock one hhhhmmmm

its a blue and purple wire, cept there around about 50 of each under there n mistakes could happen. Just no need for it to be hidden so deep.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:35 PM
vetteboy88
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Start up/shut down noise

Sounds like this noise is the abs self check. It's located behind the drivers seat in the storage compartment. Remove the tray and insulation to see it.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:51 PM
jsmn4vu
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Buick350X
Quick question, on a quick turn around, well tried to do a quick turn around, it wanted to grind going into R. Guessing you need to pause a sec or two to let internal parts slow down. Member my T5 doing that, till I got the hang of it.
Before putting it in reverse, while the clutch is depressed, just push the shifter toward a forward gear, which will cause a synchro to stop the input shaft. Then it will go into reverse without grinding.

Get notified of new replies

To 1987 Corvette [ she is mine, lots of pics n questions, stop by often ]

Old 02-15-2017, 10:16 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jsmn4vu
Before putting it in reverse, while the clutch is depressed, just push the shifter toward a forward gear, which will cause a synchro to stop the input shaft. Then it will go into reverse without grinding.
Sounds like someone else grew up driving non-syncro tranny cars. Other than the 2-3 shift on a 3 speed, no synchronizers in the tranny so you learned how to deal with that.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:59 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jsmn4vu

thnx for this.

i thought i recently read something about grinding going into reverse as an indicator of wear in the trans? this was in one of the recent 4+3 threads. is that right? mine never grinds going into rev as long as i do what you describe here, i nudge it into first gear positiin then into rev.

but i was wondering about that wear comment.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:34 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
thnx for this.

i thought i recently read something about grinding going into reverse as an indicator of wear in the trans? this was in one of the recent 4+3 threads. is that right? mine never grinds going into rev as long as i do what you describe here, i nudge it into first gear positiin then into rev.

but i was wondering about that wear comment.
Could it be from wear - sure or it could be the master/slave too. Though if it's not making noise or jumping out of gear it's just a likely the gears aren't lined up when you tried putting it into gear. If this happens, put "a little" pressure on the shifter and let the clutch out slightly so it removes enough pressure on the clutch and rolls the tranny a little and see if it goes into gear then. On non-syncro gears, it's a common issue and an easy solution. This is making the obvious assumption that the clutch is fully disengaged. If your master/slave has a little air or low on fluid, it may not be disengaging the clutch fully and the transmission will always be turning to some degree no matter how you press the clutch. To test that, try shifting in and out of gear with the engine off and see if you have any difficulty getting it in and out of gear. If you do with the engine running but not with it off, check your fluid level and bleed the clutch and see if that makes a difference.

Last edited by hcbph; 02-15-2017 at 04:35 PM.

Quick Reply: 1987 Corvette [ she is mine, lots of pics n questions, stop by often ]