Old 03-11-2017, 12:54 AM
Buick350X
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 03-11-2017, 08:37 PM
jetskibruce
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like it, another 87 for a daily! Sounds good, do you still have the cats?
The tune up parts all from Summit? Did you change the coil or module? Getting ready to do cap, rotor, and wires minimum on mine also.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:49 PM
Buick350X
Instructor

Originally Posted by jetskibruce
I like it, another 87 for a daily! Sounds good, do you still have the cats?
The tune up parts all from Summit? Did you change the coil or module? Getting ready to do cap, rotor, and wires minimum on mine also.

still has cats and resonator box. I got bits n pieces from all over for tune up as I find stuff on sale. Could not find a red cap, MSD list one [ took it back, advanced auto was cheapest ] but it used twist lock J hooks, stock is 4 screws. The one in it was in good shape so I just cleaned contacts and re used it. folks say if you cut the J hooks, then cut down the plastic boss then you can use the screws.

But not paying $35 for a parts I then gotta hack up to use.

Plugs I got the Bosch +2s rockauto was giving away.

coil n such I left as is since they work.

But long term plan is to switch to an external can coil with the MSD adapter. With the coil out of the cap, then the internal parts like the module run cooler so win win.

I got 2 HEI plenum covers ill have to mod one for that. [ can kinda tell, one on there is new clean ]

still up in air on going MSD6AL, I have a analog one on my Buick, could use it or get a newer digital one for Vette.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:57 PM
Buick350X
Instructor

Hood SPears, ID plate...
Attached Images      
Old 03-16-2017, 06:00 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

May consider a 87 vert this spring. Guy want's $11k, second owner for the last 17 years. 52,000 miles on her. It's got to be mint before I dig that deep for a 87. Sure do like the looks of the L98 and of course yours is red. The one a may look at is brown (not so sure if I'll like the color). Looks like a fun project. I just don't have the space for a project car and am getting to old to be crawling around cement floors.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:00 AM
jetskibruce
Advanced

Plugs I got the Bosch +2s rockauto was giving away.

But long term plan is to switch to an external can coil with the MSD adapter. With the coil out of the cap, then the internal parts like the module run cooler so win win.
Ha, I ordered +2s from the rock yesterday, great price on them and a couple of bucks shipping. Could not touch the price anywhere else.

Yes, I am the same way, a part here, a part there depending on cost.

I am going to give the pertronix a try, module and coil, got the module in a day ago, seemed to have smoothed it out a bit, waiting on a new cap for the coil. Perhaps if I ever mod the engine I would think about external. I am a believer in multispark and these seem like great engines for that, such low revs most of the time.

Your car looks good, somewhere when I get mine sorted I am going for an aftermarket radio.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:42 AM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I am going to give the pertronix a try, module and coil, got the module in a day ago, seemed to have smoothed it out a bit, waiting on a new cap for the coil. Perhaps if I ever mod the engine I would think about external. I am a believer in multispark and these seem like great engines
How has that worked I'm looking at doing the same, after the power brake booster of course. But I'm looking at the pertronix HEI III which generates a multiple spark through the entire rev range, along with their 50k ignition coil, new wires, cap, rotor, and plugs.

Hoping it will work great!

D.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:07 AM
jetskibruce
Advanced

Originally Posted by Need A Vette
But I'm looking at the pertronix HEI III which generates a multiple spark through the entire rev range,
D.
I only saw that in 4 pin modules - our HEIs need 7 pin for computer control, so I don't think it exists in multispark. Let me know if I am wrong.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:17 PM
Buick350X
Instructor

If your having good luck with pertronix , your are the exception. Been neck deep in the Buick world for a long time [even got a page facebook.com/Buick.Finds ] but most of them have the older points cars. That want the reliability of HEI and so many got burned by pertronix, that name is most hated among them. Maybe their quality has improved in last few years I dunno.

Last edited by Buick350X; 03-17-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:01 PM
jetskibruce
Advanced

Originally Posted by Buick350X
If your having good luck with pertronix , your are the exception. Been neck deep in the Buick world for a long time [even got a page facebook.com/Buick.Finds ] but most of them have the older points cars. That want the reliability of HEI and so many got burned by pertronix, that name is most hated among them. Maybe their quality has improved in last few years I dunno.
well it has been for 1 day - I thought I had searched for comments on the web, but missed that somehow - Davis Unified was another module option. Maybe I should carry the old module just in case but I don't really want to try to put that in on the road I'll update you Buick if it fails anytime soon....
Old 03-17-2017, 06:02 PM
Buick350X
Instructor

well it has been for 1 day - I thought I had searched for comments on the web, but missed that somehow - Davis Unified was another module option. Maybe I should carry the old module just in case but I don't really want to try to put that in on the road I'll update you Buick if it fails anytime soon....
That was one thing I did order last night on RA a cheap spare module n coil to carry around, since it came up. Also got front n rear hub & bearing assemblies. For the price of just one local, I got all 4 plus those extra parts.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:43 AM
jetskibruce
Advanced

Originally Posted by Buick350X
That was one thing I did order last night on RA a cheap spare module n coil to carry around, since it came up. Also got front n rear hub & bearing assemblies. For the price of just one local, I got all 4 plus those extra parts.
I am wondering about the wheel bearings, they are said to go bad more often on C4's. I wonder if it could be part of my vibration problems above 70. I did an alignment which helped and getting rear tires mounted today, I hope that does it, traffic around here like 80-90 at times, I just want to cruise smoothly with it. Rockauto has a lot of options for wheel bearings. I replaced one on our minivan a year ago with an Amazon dura brand, it was the lowest price ($25) with shipping. The hub looked well made and the noise problem went completely away, I was happy.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:30 PM
Buick350X
Instructor

Allot of stuff happened in between the two pics, still not 100% done. need to buy some edge piping to finish it. I used rubber back carpet runner that made cutting to shape easier, plus putting a 6.5" round speaker into a square hole...
Attached Images   
Old 03-23-2017, 11:33 PM
Buick350X
Instructor

Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
kael (03-24-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 08:21 PM
Buick350X
Instructor

day time shot, still only have the left side done. The constant sitting, kneeling on the ground had be so so sore. Thankfully I did have a camping seat pad for some cushion.
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2017, 01:55 AM
Buick350X
Instructor

6x9 switch from blue to red...
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: 1987 Corvette [ she is mine, lots of pics n questions, stop by often ]