C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Whats it worth: '95 Vert

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 05:23 PM
BitchinCamaro
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats it worth: '95 Vert

Its come time to sell my wife's Vette She got pregnant about a month after buying it and just never has an opportunity to drive it since having the kiddo. I think we've put less than a thousand miles on it since we bought it in December of 2012. On to the stats....
1995 Aqua Blue Convertible
Automatic
All origional, no mods
Black interior
35,000 miles
Clean paint with just a couple chips on the front fascia
One owner before us (lil' ol' couple who traded it in on a Caddy)
Located in Austin Texas

The Bad:
One Bose amp is bad and causes static. You can't hear it at normal volume, but between songs its apparent.
Drivers power lock actuator can lock, but doesn't pull hard enough to unlock.
Some of the velcro on the inside of the top is old and no long holds well.
Tires seem to be out of round from sitting so there is some vibration when driving. I am going to put some miles on it and hopefully that goes away.

I've seen prices online everywhere from $12k to $18k. I figure the color is going to slow down the sale, but verts in Texas seem to sell well. So whats a fair asking price? We aren't in a hurry to sell, it just sucks seeing it sit in the garage.

Here are some not-so-clean pictures

Old 02-17-2017, 05:28 PM
nutsy
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

ill let others chime in on worth but I love the color. looks like a really nice car. I paid 13k for my 94 coupe with 14k miles and in mint condition with a manual trans. mine is red but was looking for a blue one at the time.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:35 PM
jsmn4vu
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Asking prices mean little. For starters, look at COMPLETED eBay auctions for comparable cars. And good luck!
Old 02-17-2017, 05:39 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

It's close to the selling season, Try to get what you paid for it, would be my thought. Every market is different, cruising top down in a beach town has a better chance of money buyer than in the middle of nowhere.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:17 PM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Looks good! Lot of well off kids spending daddies money in Austin.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:55 AM
Barchetta
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

$14K seems to be the average fair market value for a clean one with average wear for the age. You should consider subtracting for items that need to be fixed or replaced. $17k+ would be for a perfect, low mileage, low wear example with zero issues.

Last edited by Barchetta; 02-18-2017 at 01:56 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:21 AM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Good looking car, I love that color but wondering how you value it.

KBB puts the value at a little over $10k in excellent condition.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:55 AM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

$15K OBO with the convertible season rapidly approaching. Those Goodyear GS-D3's are expensive so that helps too unless they are old and need to be replaced. GLWS!!
Old 02-18-2017, 01:58 PM
Barchetta
Racer

Originally Posted by divotdug
Good looking car, I love that color but wondering how you value it.

KBB puts the value at a little over $10k in excellent condition.
KBB and NADA always seem undervalued to me. I like Cargurus better, because they take an average of cars for sale and car sold. TrueCar will be another good resource like cargurus once they get a larger database.

Last edited by Barchetta; 02-18-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:21 AM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Barchetta
KBB and NADA always seem undervalued to me. I like Cargurus better, because they take an average of cars for sale and car sold. TrueCar will be another good resource like cargurus once they get a larger database.
I think Cargurus is too high on their instant market value, especially when they set the dealer trade in value on a '95 convertible with 35k miles at less than $10k.

Over the last couple months I had a chance to buy 2 '02 cars. One convertible, one couple, both under 50k miles. I could have had either for $10k. Also had a chance on 2 C5's with 80-90k miles for $7k.

I think a better option is too look at completed eBay auctions. C4's priced in the mid-teens go unsold. Same with the 4-5 C4's sitting on car lots in my neck of the woods. I've driven buy the same cars for a year.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:19 AM
Barchetta
Racer

Over the last couple months I had a chance to buy 2 '02 cars. One convertible, one couple, both under 50k miles. I could have had either for $10k. Also had a chance on 2 C5's with 80-90k miles for $7k.

C4's priced in the mid-teens go unsold. Same with the 4-5 C4's sitting on car lots in my neck of the woods. I've driven buy the same cars for a year
Those cars could very well have been correctly priced for their condition. A price for one doesn't necessarly establish the price for all. Each car needs to be evaluated on its own merits.

"Condition" is very subjective, and perception of value is personal. What one person may see as a great interior, for example, another may see as rough, etc.

Region, including median income, also influences price.

When you start getting into the mid-teen price range that should be a top tier example and be inside under cover not a lot ornament. How a car is cared for is part of the price justification.

Last edited by Barchetta; 02-19-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:49 AM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Barchetta
Those cars could very well have been correctly priced for their condition. A price for one doesn't necessarly establish the price for all. Each car needs to be evaluated on its own merits.

"Condition" is very subjective, and perception of value is personal. What one person may see as a great interior, for example, another may see as rough, etc.

Region, including median income, also influences price.

When you start getting into the mid-teen price range that should be a top tier example and be inside under cover not a lot ornament. How a car is cared for is part of the price justification.

I don't disagree. I live in the Baltimore-DC region, some of the highest median income in the country. Prices here are generally higher than the rest of the country. Mid teens C4's sit in people's driveways and on dealer car lots for a very long time.

I agree the price for one doesn't dictate the price for all but completed sales generally dictate the market. When C5's in very good condition are bringing $7-10k, it is hard to justify buying a C4 for$15k....at least to me.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:06 PM
Barchetta
Racer

When C5's in very good condition are bringing $7-10k, it is hard to justify buying a C4 for$15k....at least to me.
I agree everybody perceives priorites and value differently. Some people don't mind which model Corvette's they own just as long as they get behind the wheel of the newest model at the lowest price. That's their value perception.

There are others though who prefer a certain model and will pay for the best example of that model regardles if a different model is the same price.

For example, excellent condition '80-82 C3's have sold for the price of C4's. Certain collector C2's sell for the price of C6's and in rare cases close to used C7 prices.

When I bought my C4, I had the opportunity to buy a C5 for close to the same price. I don't like the look or driving exprriece of the C5. To me the C5 is a bit bland. The C4 is a nice ballance between classic raw muscle and modern technology. I like the lines of the C4 better. So for me, model preference was more important than price.

I read a good quote once, and I paraphrase: "For every car there is a prideful owner and a yearning buyer and only time stands between them".
Old 02-19-2017, 05:42 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,950 Likes on 937 Posts

Corvette DNA shows the car as the following:

"DRIVER" Condition (Im assuming its not "EXCELLENT")
Less than 50k miles
Value of $10,000

You said you wanted to sell quick. If you want my .02 cents - if you ask $10,000 you might be waiting till summer till you get your price.

If you ask $9500 or best offer - someone that knows the car will offer you $9000 now.

Lets be honest - if you don't own a rare model, super low mileage or special edition C4 - the days of getting $10k or more are over...

For the guy that said $17k for a low mileage C4 - Ill sell you mine...its a 1994 LT1, 6 Speed, Torch Red with Black Leather Interior, 45,000 miles, FX3 Performance Suspension in absolute mint condition - Ill give it to you for $16,500 and Ill pay for it to be shipped to your driveway...PM me!!!
Old 02-21-2017, 06:19 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

That car would be priced over $13k here (and sit it would). All I'm finding is over priced C4's. For some reason sellers think they hold the same value as early C5's. If this car was in Minnesota, $10k would be a for sure sale.

Here's the selection for 92-96 -> https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/s...auto_year=1996

Last edited by Cool Runnings; 02-21-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:08 PM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 81 Posts

I didn't want to say anything when ppl where talking about $13/14kish so I waited for others.. lol Getting even over $11k won't be easy. C4 market is at the bottom unfortunately which means even low mile, babied cars won't get much but GLWS
Old 02-21-2017, 09:21 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jay23ls
I didn't want to say anything when ppl where talking about $13/14kish so I waited for others.. lol Getting even over $11k won't be easy. C4 market is at the bottom unfortunately which means even low mile, babied cars won't get much but GLWS

Yeah, C5's are dropping like rocks.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:01 AM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,281 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Runnings
Yeah, C5's are dropping like rocks.
They should. Only decent thing on them is the chassis and drivetrain. The rest was screwed up by GM engineering/quality departments.

Get notified of new replies

To Whats it worth: '95 Vert

Quick Reply: Whats it worth: '95 Vert