C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

My take on heater core replacement and some tips

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 05:43 PM
DarkObsession
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My take on heater core replacement and some tips

First off, this project isn't that hard. Uncomfortable, yes. Impossible or even something that stumped me, definitely not. Before I did the project I was so wound up from all the posts I read that I almost didn't do it. My car is a 1985. That said, here are some tips.

I looked at these threads for getting started:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...etty-easy.html
All the instructions you really need are in the first post.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-how-hard.html
Post 14 on this one shows the heater core out, which shows the top 2 bolts.

Tips from my experience:

•Pull the seat. I don't know how the project would be possible without pulling the seat.

•Have a lot of variations of sockets, extensions, and universals.

•Get a scope if you can. Having the ability to see spots that would otherwise be impossible was incredibly helpful. Harbor Freight has them for $70. Mine is not from HF, so I make no claims about how good their camera is.

•Get help! I started the project on my own but it was pointless. I constantly needed tools or parts to be put somewhere else and getting in and out of the car from laying in the floorboard was not much fun.

•Unhook the ECM. Some things I read gave me the impression you could just leave the ECM hooked up but I don't know how this would be possible.

•The little plastic clip that hooks onto the door from the controls (these are connected by a wire from the temperature selector on the HVAC controls to a L shaped plate to a threaded pushrod if you're confused) can be squeezed with needle nosed pliers and pushed up through the hole.

•The brace that is held on by two 13mm bolts has a nut in a track that can slide left and right! I found this feature out well after my socket was jammed against the heater case. If you release the side bracket bolt (near the door) first, and then work on the top bracket bolt I imagine getting it out will be easier.

•When you go to put the brace back on, remember that the bolt in the top slides! I moved the nut all the way to the outermost position (passenger door side), started the bolt, then put the lower bolt in, tightened the lower bolt all the way, and finished tightening the top bolt.

The most important thing I learned was that you don't have to take the case completely apart! I got 4 of the 5 bolts out, but didn't really try very hard to get the one at the top left. I could barely see it with the scope and couldn't really figure out how to get the wrench up there. I pried the case apart, had a friend help push the old core through the firewall with wood and a hammer, and then it pretty easily came through the case. I did not find it necessary to get that 5th bolt out.

•Check your new core pipe spacing to get it close to the old core configuration.

•Have a friend help pull the new core through the firewall. Once I got it through to a point where he could get the hoses and clamps back on he could pull on the new hoses to help position the new part.

•It's way quicker to reassemble than disassemble.

That's all I can think of for now but will post more if I think of anything later. The project took me about 5 hours from start to finish with a trip to AutoZone in the middle to get new hoses. Don't be afraid, it's a project that if you take your time and have the right tools you'll be fine.
The following users liked this post:
shootnstarz (02-20-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 08:46 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 392 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Good job.

Originally Posted by DarkObsession
•Get a scope if you can. Having the ability to see spots that would otherwise be impossible was incredibly helpful. Harbor Freight has them for $70. Mine is not from HF, so I make no claims about how good their camera is.
This is a really good idea.

Quick Reply: My take on heater core replacement and some tips