C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Beware uninformed inspection tech

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 05:20 PM
Natrlone93
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Beware uninformed inspection tech

If you have certain year model in certain counties (like mine) you may need to have inspection done on dyno. Remind the tech about traction control or you could be in waiting room awhile lol. Tech tried and tried to get car up to RPM and speed before letting me know. He never heard of traction control.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:37 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,794 Posts

Inspection on a dyno? That's crazy. DO they give you your dyno pulls at least?
The following users liked this post:
1993C4LT1 (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 09:54 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

I hated inspections too.

When I lived in AZ, they had the e brake on and a big red brake light, but tried to get up to speed anyway. Brakes started smoking right away and I had to run into their bay screaming for him to stop.

Another time they tried to shove the exhaust sensor into the pipe but missed. They rammed the fascia and scratched it up. I confronted him right as it happened and then after the test they tried to say it was not their fault and told me to leave. After a few calls and about a week they wrote me a check to get the damage repaired.

I am glad we don't have inspections here. I hate the inspections.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:01 PM
Natrlone93
Pro

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Not that kind of dyno. Just puts engine under a load and monitors speed and rpm for a fixed period while testing emissions. Never goes over 25mph. Only 93, 94 and 95 year models. Next year only 94, 95 so I have no more emissions test after this one. Time for some long tubes and no cats.

Last edited by Natrlone93; 02-20-2017 at 10:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
1993C4LT1 (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 10:03 PM
Natrlone93
Pro

Originally Posted by QCVette
I hated inspections too.

When I lived in AZ, they had the e brake on and a big red brake light, but tried to get up to speed anyway. Brakes started smoking right away and I had to run into their bay screaming for him to stop.

Another time they tried to shove the exhaust sensor into the pipe but missed. They rammed the fascia and scratched it up. I confronted him right as it happened and then after the test they tried to say it was not their fault and told me to leave. After a few calls and about a week they wrote me a check to get the damage repaired.

I am glad we don't have inspections here. I hate the inspections.
Last time I have to do it. Next year car is 25yo so I'm clear for more mods now.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:15 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
LMFAO! Yeah, when I take my 93, I get the same as OP. But like he said, it's our last year.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:58 PM
Phil Phillips
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Maryland, the MVA spent a bunch of money installing dynamometers at the emissions stations. Shortly after that, they realized there weren't enough older cars to justify the rollers. So they had to spend more money ripping them out and going back to the old idle / steady-load test.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:37 AM
OzyC4
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm currently in the middle of getting my car certified here in Oz. I have to get an engineer to provide certification that it complies with all the design rules that were in place in the year of manufacture (1988).
Because my car is so original it passed all the tests except it has to have amber rear indicators. As well as paying through the nose for a crappy pair of amber lights, I've had to butcher the wiring so that the tail/stop lights only work on the inside lights.
I love the look of the four rear lights on the Corvette and I can guarantee that as soon as I have it on the road it will have 4 red rear lights and a sports exhaust on it.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:17 PM
CREWZIN
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Had to have the amber turn lights on my Vette while I had it over in England.

When I returned to the states, I kept the amber lights but put them inboard just to have something a little unique.

Then, a couple years ago the LED's came out so I switched all 4 to them.

Get notified of new replies

To Beware uninformed inspection tech

Quick Reply: Beware uninformed inspection tech