Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Alternative to $600 replacement carpet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 11:05 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Alternative to $600 replacement carpet?

A full set of replacement carpet for my 1990 coupe is anywhere from 5 to 600 bucks! Is there a much cheaper diy alternative??
This is a driver and $600 could be better spent somewhere else.

Thanks
Wade

Last edited by ImBatman; 02-20-2017 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-20-2017, 11:29 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The junk yards maybe? Or a local interiors guy?

Thats about the limit of your choices.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:42 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I like www.vette2vette.com for used. He might have a few sets that would clean up well.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:31 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

What is wrong with yours? is it worn out, stained, torn, etc?

If it is stained, I had a mat for the cargo area that looked horrible because it was used when hauling things back there. I found a spray can of carpet paint/stain and sprayed it. It came back to a nice even color and it still looks good. Not as good as a new one, but it made it useable again.

If worn out, torn, etc, then you might look at repairs to the damaged section (s) only, or see if used sections might be available.

Good luck.

Last edited by QCVette; 02-21-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:34 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

I've used sets from stock interiors a couple times on other cars with good results

there about 430 for a full set but will also sell a front half or rear half
Old 02-21-2017, 02:13 PM
MRPVette
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Is all the carpet bad? you might get by with replacing the front pieces and redying the back wouldn't think the back has that much wear.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:31 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Pull your seats out and clean the snot out of them with a industrial strength carpet cleaner with a hand held.

If you mentioned the color it would help.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:40 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Is this an Al Knoch carpet?

Richard Newton
Old 02-22-2017, 11:40 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by clovergamecock
A full set of replacement carpet for my 1990 coupe is anywhere from 5 to 600 bucks! Is there a much cheaper diy alternative??
This is a driver and $600 could be better spent somewhere else.

Thanks
Wade
Get a pair of CHEAP SUNGLASSES for $1

That should help you not see it and is definitely cheaper. Not sure where you are coming up with $600 but even the cheap stuff is $800. If you want it to even come close to fitting, you are going to have to drop some coin into it. If not, throw a blanket on it and be happy. Cheap, as a rule has never been good and good doesn't have to be cheap.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:45 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rfn026
Is this an Al Knoch carpet?

Richard Newton
Is that even an option? I thought they didn't make it for the C4 or at least didn't when I was changing carpets and I went with ACC since several places found them easier to install than the cheap crap.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:11 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I was just looking on the Al Knoch site and I don't see any C4 carpeting.

My suggestion is to keep what you have or buy the right carpet. Anything in between is wasted money.

You'll never really be happy with the cheap stuff.

Richard Newton
The R9G C4
Old 02-24-2017, 09:16 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rfn026
I was just looking on the Al Knoch site and I don't see any C4 carpeting.

My suggestion is to keep what you have or buy the right carpet. Anything in between is wasted money.

You'll never really be happy with the cheap stuff.

Richard Newton
The R9G C4
Thought so but I didn't contact them so not 100% sure if they don't sell it or it wasn't on the site or in development.

Kinda why I suggested cheap sunglasses. They'd hide the imperfections for less money.

Unless the car is up for sale in which case, most sellers buy the cheapest crap they put in the market.

Last edited by aklim; 02-24-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:08 PM
TheWhiteHat
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought mine from Stock Interiors a few months ago. The base carpet was like $350. However I had ordered a kit from Auto Parts Warehouse before that I had to return as they sent the Convertible instead of the Coupe (APW's fault). After seeing the base carpet, when ordering from Stock interiors I upgraded to Truvette with mat backing and I must say I was glad I did. But both companies dropshipped from ACC Carpets and I got the feeling that alot of companies do. Some day I will post about my experience with APW and ACC carpets. I can say this if I had known Stock interiors used ACC Carpets I would have went elsewhere. ACC sent the wrong carpet (their fault this time) and had it stopped in transit and sent back which delayed things even more. But I learned that if you bought ACC carpets from a Distributor they will not stand behind their product or help you at all! The lady on the phone was very clear on that. She did not even want to heaar about it. "Take it up with the Distributor"
Old 03-01-2017, 04:14 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

I haven't done it, but I've got to think you could patch torn areas, deep-clean/stain remove, and then dye it all for a fraction of the cost of new replacements. Of course, if you found a matching used set in good condition that would be great too.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:20 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by TheWhiteHat
I bought mine from Stock Interiors a few months ago. The base carpet was like $350. However I had ordered a kit from Auto Parts Warehouse before that I had to return as they sent the Convertible instead of the Coupe (APW's fault). After seeing the base carpet, when ordering from Stock interiors I upgraded to Truvette with mat backing and I must say I was glad I did. But both companies dropshipped from ACC Carpets and I got the feeling that alot of companies do. Some day I will post about my experience with APW and ACC carpets. I can say this if I had known Stock interiors used ACC Carpets I would have went elsewhere. ACC sent the wrong carpet (their fault this time) and had it stopped in transit and sent back which delayed things even more. But I learned that if you bought ACC carpets from a Distributor they will not stand behind their product or help you at all! The lady on the phone was very clear on that. She did not even want to heaar about it. "Take it up with the Distributor"
I have purchased two carpet sets from stock interiors and yes they were ACC. I got great service from them. I also bought carpet for my 79 at an Atlanta Corvette show. They had them in a tractor trailer on site.

I can kind of see why they would want you to go through the distributor since they have no record of your order and someone could buy a knock off set then ask ACC to warrant it.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:30 PM
TheWhiteHat
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by belairbrian
I have purchased two carpet sets from stock interiors and yes they were ACC. I got great service from them. I also bought carpet for my 79 at an Atlanta Corvette show. They had them in a tractor trailer on site.

I can kind of see why they would want you to go through the distributor since they have no record of your order and someone could buy a knock off set then ask ACC to warrant it.
Stock Interiors was great it was not their fault ACC screwed up and pulled the wrong item. My biggest problem was with the original order placed at APW. ACC should not have any problem identifying their product and in the end they had to take it back. They just refused to help me. All I needed was to switch the rear carpet set. Same Price Coupe or Convertible. But they simply refused to help. So in the end I sent the entire Kit back. I was in Retail for 20 years and if one of my people had treated a customer like either APW or ACC treated me they would not be working for me anylonger! Through it all I never even raised my voice. My wife was amazed! LOL When I looked up APW's online rating I was not surprised about them. ACC however did shock me and still does.....
Old 03-01-2017, 10:02 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TheWhiteHat
My biggest problem was with the original order placed at APW. ACC should not have any problem identifying their product and in the end they had to take it back. They just refused to help me.
Yes, I agree they should be able to identify it instantly. However, their business model might be based off NOT fixing the issues that the distributor might create initially. Some companies sell ONLY to distributors because that is their business model. Others sell directly and to distributors and deal with support issues themselves. Again, hard to say. For Bilstein, I can send it to them for warranty. Or I can send it to the authorized retailer. Others are different even though both ways finally end up at the manufacturer. Again, different business model.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:35 AM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default ACC Carpet

I know you used to be able to buy direct from ACC, but it's been years ago, AND, believe it or not JC Whitney, if they are around any longer, their carpet sets came from ACC. Though the last vehicle I did a restore on was in 1996, so it's been awhile.

D.

Get notified of new replies

To Alternative to $600 replacement carpet?

Quick Reply: Alternative to $600 replacement carpet?