Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

25 year old Vette, will it be nothing but problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 09:07 AM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

First week of ownership. Rear passenger brake noisy, thinking it's a problem due to sitting to long. Noise went away after a day or two. Dreaded oil leak (front of engine) few drops per day. Going to monitor the situation. Car is due for an oil change in 500 miles. Will have the mechanic put the car on a lift to try locate problem area. May just live with it. Lumbar doesn't seem to work on drivers side (sport seats), not an issue for me now because I'm comfortable in the car. Otherwise, everything works, tranny shifts real tight, car drives as 'new'. Some paint chips on front hood, to be expected on a 25 year old car. Bose system is wonderful. Targa top seals showing wear, may order new rubber and have my brother help install (was in auto body for 30 years).

Depending on how she holds out over the next two years, I will either keep it, otherwise sell before the money pit hits me (take a loss, maybe) and look for a late model C5. I only have a small garage to store it and other than simple repairs, it goes to the shop. And that costs money.

Very happy with the ride and power. Thought I'd be disappointed with the LT1 (auto) but for a early 90's car, this thing is faster than 99% of the stuff on the road today.

BTY? Corvette owners DON'T WAVE!
Old 06-11-2017, 12:25 AM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

yes, no, maybe
Old 06-11-2017, 08:30 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by John S 1961
yes, no, maybe
Are those the names of the dudes in your avatar?

Looks more like Manny, Moe and Jack.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:46 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Renfield
Are those the names of the dudes in your avatar?

Looks more like Manny, Moe and Jack.
Please tell me youre just kidding and really do know who the dudes in the avatar are.....
Old 06-11-2017, 10:00 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

on any 25-year-old car you have to know how to wrench it's not feasible to own it. Call manufactures today make their money on repairing the vehicle. That's my theory anyways. Costs of new vehicle so the escalated so rapidly in the last 10 years I cannot fathom that it costs $100,000 for a yukon XL up here in Canada.

anyway, I was digressing. Bottom line is you either
the hobby of wrenching on the car and you will enjoy a extremely affordable super car in its day, or, you are going to get killed at the dealership or at a mechanics shop repairing .
The only thing about the Corvette specifically that may cost more money is that you may not wish to that small items go on repaired as you would on an old beater car. For example, p Power steering pump making noise on start up, probably referred to as morning sickness. On an old beater, typically what a 25-year-old car is, a person would probably live with 15 to 20 seconds of squealing on a coldstart a cold morning. but not with a Corvette. You will want it repaired. So you need to know what you're doing with the wrench. Or you need to be prepared to start now that's what I did three years ago and I have a book. I added up what I've saved myself at the mechanic and it's $25,000.between like 2016 Yukon XL Denali, my 2006 Toyota Tacoma and my C4's last three years.

edit: sorry for all of the ridiculous typos. I think I need to restart my iPhone Siri is not understanding a word I am saying.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 06-11-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:42 AM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Not set up to wrench and getting to old to be laying under a car anyhoo. Never mind what I paid to get a couple u-joints replaced (52,000 mile car).
Old 06-11-2017, 10:44 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by 81c3
Please tell me youre just kidding and really do know who the dudes in the avatar are.....
Old 06-11-2017, 10:49 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cool Runnings
First week of ownership. Rear passenger brake noisy, thinking it's a problem due to sitting to long. Noise went away after a day or two. Dreaded oil leak (front of engine) few drops per day. Going to monitor the situation. Car is due for an oil change in 500 miles. Will have the mechanic put the car on a lift to try locate problem area. May just live with it. Lumbar doesn't seem to work on drivers side (sport seats), not an issue for me now because I'm comfortable in the car. Otherwise, everything works, tranny shifts real tight, car drives as 'new'. Some paint chips on front hood, to be expected on a 25 year old car. Bose system is wonderful. Targa top seals showing wear, may order new rubber and have my brother help install (was in auto body for 30 years).

Depending on how she holds out over the next two years, I will either keep it, otherwise sell before the money pit hits me (take a loss, maybe) and look for a late model C5. I only have a small garage to store it and other than simple repairs, it goes to the shop. And that costs money.

Very happy with the ride and power. Thought I'd be disappointed with the LT1 (auto) but for a early 90's car, this thing is faster than 99% of the stuff on the road today.

BTY? Corvette owners DON'T WAVE!
It's what I expect from C7 owners. But I got no love from a C4 last week. I used to enjoy the wave between Jeep CJ owners. Later, same camaraderie with Miata owners (we pop the headlights). Now I get bupkiss from fellow 'vette owners. Thinking I'm officially over the wave.

I'll give the C7's half a peace sign going forward.

Quick Reply: 25 year old Vette, will it be nothing but problems?