Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

25 year old Vette, will it be nothing but problems?

Old 02-21-2017, 08:46 AM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default 25 year old Vette, will it be nothing but problems?

Well maintained with 46k. Everything works. A/C fixed, new alternator, complete brake job and new tires at 40k. Transmission fluid changed last summer (automatic). Interior like new. Owned by a 75 year old, never had it over 100 mph.

Are these well maintained low mileage old Corvettes pretty much trouble free? I'm looking for a older Corvette (under $10k) that I can run a good three years without major problems?
Old 02-21-2017, 08:54 AM
SmokinBlack
Team Owner

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08

A 25 year old Corvette is a 25 year old Corvette. There is no guarantee either way how reliable it will be. Sometimes cars that have sat quite a bit are as much or more of an issue as those with high miles. Judge it based on its current condition. If you think it is worth it, by all means go for it. But, just keep some money aside in your budget for the unexpected.

As far as the tires go, please take a look at the date codes even though they only have 6K on them. The tires on the current 45K mile '87 I have are 14 years old but only have 500 road miles on them. Not exactly what I would consider safe.

Best of luck in your purchase.

Last edited by SmokinBlack; 02-21-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:03 AM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Are the automatic transmissions pretty bullet proof? How about the electronics. I know about the dash lights on the 80's where they would go blank. Didn't they upgrade quite a bit in 1991?

Last edited by Cool Runnings; 02-21-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:13 AM
Edv92c4
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinBlack
A 25 year old Corvette is a 25 year old Corvette. There is no guarantee either way how reliable it will be. Sometimes cars that have sat quite a bit are as much or more of an issue as those with high miles. Judge it based on its current condition. If you think it is worth it, by all means go for it. But, just keep some money aside in your budget for the unexpected.

As far as the tires go, please take a look at the date codes even though they only have 6K on them. The tires on the current 45K mile '87 I have are 14 years old but only have 500 road miles on them. Not exactly what I would consider safe.

Best of luck in your purchase.
I agree with the above ^

Also another consideration is your usage. You say "run a good three years" and I ask how are you using the car for that three years. Daily driver or just occasional nice weather cruises? 1000 miles per year or 15000 miles? Stored outside or in garage? These will affect the car as well as mileage, condition and age.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:17 AM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Edv92c4
I agree with the above ^

Also another consideration is your usage. You say "run a good three years" and I ask how are you using the car for that three years. Daily driver or just occasional nice weather cruises? 1000 miles per year or 15000 miles? Stored outside or in garage? These will affect the car as well as mileage, condition and age.

Daily driver, stored in garage. Hope to put on 5,000 miles a summer.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:19 AM
Edv92c4
Pro

Transmission, electronics...doesn't matter...it's a crap shoot. Over the years I've seen "ratty" cars drive fine and need very little for years under heavy use while also seeing well kept, low mileage cream puffs be troublesome.
The following 2 users liked this post by Edv92c4:
Cjunkie (04-18-2017), KenMathisHD (04-18-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 09:25 AM
95tealconvert
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

From what I have seen the C4 is a pretty stout car and pretty reliable overall. Sounds like you have found a well cared for example. As has been shared already if you go into ownership with any older car with the outlook of being prepared for the unknown ( money put aside for the unexpected ) then your ownership experience should be a positive one.

The C4 has a lot of features like ABS so more chance of things acting up then say a Civic of the same year but it is GM so plenty of information on how to maintain and repair as needed. Just keep in mind it is 25 years old so some odd things can pop up after being around that long.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:26 AM
Edv92c4
Pro

Originally Posted by Cool Runnings
Daily driver, stored in garage. Hope to put on 5,000 miles a summer.
Well...at 46k that's almost 2k a year since it was built so 5k isn't so bad...but again...it's 25 years old so anything could go...so as long as you have a back up vehicle and some back up cash you should be fine.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:29 AM
CRUZN C4
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

It all depends on how the previous owners took care of it.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:33 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 522 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Runnings
Are these well maintained low mileage old Corvettes pretty much trouble free? I'm looking for a older Corvette (under $10k) that I can run a good three years without major problems?
In addition to what's been mentioned, are you able to do some of the repairs yourself and do you have tools? Like it or not, a car of this age will take some work over time and if you cannot do it yourself it could become a money pit. There are several threads on buying a C4 and what to look for, I'd suggest searching those threads out and reviewing them.
Another thing I'd suggest is linking up with other C4 owners.

I noticed you are in my area and I belong to Suburban Corvettes of Mn. There are members with all ranges of Corvettes (including C4's) and people will share info and tips if asked or someone expresses a need.
If you're interested in Suburban, we meet the 3d Tuesday of each month at 7:30 PM (meaning tonight) at Jimmy's on County Road E in Vadnais Heights right off I35 E.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:55 AM
jdlclam
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

Expectations are the root of all heartache.

As long as you understand that any 20+ year-old car is eventually going to need attention, and you prepare accordingly, you'll enjoy it. Conversely, if you expect it to be hassle-free for the next 5 years, you might have a disappointing ownership experience.

I purchased my '94 w/28k on it, an utter creampuff inside and out, just needed tires and a new roof panel. At this moment, it looks and runs like a brand new car - but I know my time is coming. Everything ages and will need appropriate attention.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:57 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Sounds like a great car. Buy it, change the RAd, hoses and antifreeze, drive it and enjoy it.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:07 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Ask the seller if you can take the car to a reputable auto repair shop and have them perform a "Used Vehicle Inspection" (UVI). For a fee of around $150, you will get a written report that will outline any potential issues and an estimate of repair costs.

Given the mileage and assuming that the seller took good care of the car, it sounds like it may be a good deal.

As mentioned regarding the tires, look for the date code. This Tire Rack web page has some good information on finding and interpreting the date code. IMHO, a tire more than 5-6 years old should be replaced and should never be used in any high speed operation. Assuming that you are looking at a 1991 or 1992, there are lots of good tires available in the OEM 275/40-17 size that are not terribly expensive. Electronics should not be a big deal.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:35 AM
Weck86
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

To answer the OP's original question: YES. Some problems will be small to trivial, some others not so much. It's 25 years old! Everything is old, brake lines, a/c hoses and equip, all rubber parts especially weather stripping. Headlight motor gears ever replaced? The list goes on. Pressing it into daily driver status will make the problems come faster. If you like wrenching probably not a huge deal, if you don't it's a potential money pit, as has been mentioned. Ever wonder why you don't see many on the road everyday? Not to say they can't be great and fun cars, but go into it with you eyes open.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:27 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CRUZN C4
It all depends on how the previous owners took care of it.

Car is from Iowa, family vehicle, current (3rd owner) 12 years.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:32 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hcbph
In addition to what's been mentioned, are you able to do some of the repairs yourself and do you have tools? Like it or not, a car of this age will take some work over time and if you cannot do it yourself it could become a money pit. There are several threads on buying a C4 and what to look for, I'd suggest searching those threads out and reviewing them.
Another thing I'd suggest is linking up with other C4 owners.

I noticed you are in my area and I belong to Suburban Corvettes of Mn. There are members with all ranges of Corvettes (including C4's) and people will share info and tips if asked or someone expresses a need.
If you're interested in Suburban, we meet the 3d Tuesday of each month at 7:30 PM (meaning tonight) at Jimmy's on County Road E in Vadnais Heights right off I35 E.
Not quite an owner yet, still waiting for car to get out of winter storage. Have talked to the owner a coupe times in person and know one of his friends. I'm positive this car is a gem, it's not listed for sale anywhere. Just trying to get prepared when I purchase this one. Will join the club when I'm an owner.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:37 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Weck86
To answer the OP's original question: YES. Some problems will be small to trivial, some others not so much. It's 25 years old! Everything is old, brake lines, a/c hoses and equip, all rubber parts especially weather stripping. Headlight motor gears ever replaced? The list goes on. Pressing it into daily driver status will make the problems come faster. If you like wrenching probably not a huge deal, if you don't it's a potential money pit, as has been mentioned. Ever wonder why you don't see many on the road everyday? Not to say they can't be great and fun cars, but go into it with you eyes open.

Thanks, maybe I should consider it as a weekend runabout. Keep insurance on both cars and just use the Vette like my motorcycles?

Get notified of new replies

To 25 year old Vette, will it be nothing but problems?

Old 02-21-2017, 12:38 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,420 Likes on 2,790 Posts

IMO, the trouble free cars at this point will have been driven some. I think 5k miles a year, spread over a year, is about the minimum to keep a car running well. If they sit, the seals dry out and they start to leak and all that.

Personally, I would rather buy a higher mileage car and not pay the low mileage premium. These are older vars, and those seals liked to be used.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:49 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FAUEE
IMO, the trouble free cars at this point will have been driven some. I think 5k miles a year, spread over a year, is about the minimum to keep a car running well. If they sit, the seals dry out and they start to leak and all that.

Personally, I would rather buy a higher mileage car and not pay the low mileage premium. These are older vars, and those seals liked to be used.

Will find out come spring. Problem is, around here, it's hard to even find a 1992-1996 model, let alone a low mileage garage queen of this era. Do many people prefer the late model C4's over early C5's? I test drove a 1998 vert and thought the drivers seat was horrible, heard the seats are much better in the C4. Not positive, but I think this car has the sport seats. Gawd I hate waiting to lookie-see........
Old 02-21-2017, 01:17 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,398 Likes on 1,015 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

If you like the car as it is, buy it.

But plan on doing some service work. Do a full tune up as soon as you get it. At 46K, probably nothing serious will be needed, but there are things that will wear out even without driving it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 25 year old Vette, will it be nothing but problems?