C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Windshield rock chip repair kits

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 12:11 PM
RetiredLE
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Windshield rock chip repair kits

I assume everyone has used these kits offered by various manufacturers to repair rock chips on their windshields. My question centers around the resin used in these kits. Instructions say to expose the repair to sunlight and on cloudy days to expose it longer. What exactly cures the resin? Is it ultraviolet rays or heat or....

I have a chip in the windshield on one of my other vehicles which I sustained yesterday. I wanted to repair it forthwith given the fact we are still getting below freezing temps during the nite hours and upper 40's during the day - which equates to temperature changes that could expand that chip into a crack...

Problem is we most likely won't see any sun for the next few days so I was wondering what technique I should use to allow the resin to cure faster. Will heat do it? If so, I can just warm up the car and set the defrost on high.

I don't have a heated garage.

Any thoughts suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:34 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

If you have full coverage insurance, check with your company before doing any repairs yourself. Some companies waive the deductible for chip repair, Nationwide does. We had a chip in the pickup truck, called Nationwide claims, they said to take it straight to one of the approved glass shops and there would be no deductible.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:40 PM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Don't waste your $$$. I used one on my wife's car, did everything per instructions and the crack is still showing, plus it can no longer be repaired by a pro. The good news is that the crack didn't go anywhere, but its definitely not repaired. Do it right and you won't pay later.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:38 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Call your insurance agent. Many policies will do the injection repair for free and will both a record and usually some form of warranty of the repair. Insurance did one for me, took under 30 minutes from what I remember.

I used one of the home kits earlier on another vehicle. It did work but why bother when there are better options available.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:03 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I am a retired tractor trailer driver. Rock chips were common. Every chip I had was fixed by pros. Lasted the life of the windshield. ( Some chips were breaks that required replacement but ones that were just chips lasted more than 50,000 miles till truck was sold
Old 03-22-2017, 01:52 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Agree with everyone else, let the pro's handle it, they mess it up they will cover a new windshield...you mess up and you're SoL.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:23 PM
James84vette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used one of those kits on my Vette last summer. Found it worked just fine and looked like a pro did it (had a Jeep where I needed chips filled 4 different times). I really just wanted to try it myself and the chip was in a spot where I could tell if something didn't go well. Drove it all last summer and no issue's.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:43 PM
Diesel_Jerry
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have done more than 50+ chip repairs, if you get a quality kit, and are OCD level meticulous with your prep work you should have no problems. I never liked doing the job if the chip was within 3 inches of an edge. Clean, clean, clean, the glass you don't want a speck of dirt trapped in the repair.
The following users liked this post:
don hall (03-25-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield rock chip repair kits

Quick Reply: Windshield rock chip repair kits