C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Flashing signs, Warning lights ! Low fuel warning

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 06:56 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Default Flashing signs, Warning lights ! Low fuel warning

The other day when I got home for work, looked at my fuel gauge and it was reading about 125 miles left. I figured I would fill up the next time I take it out. This is the lowest I have ever let it go. Yesterday, weather was nice my son and I were going to basketball practice. The gas station was only about 2 miles away. In those 2 miles, my gauge went from 120 miles down to 24 miles, the reserve warning came on the little lines started blinking, the check gauges popped on. The car gauge definately drops quick and alot of warnings let you know you are running out of gas lol.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:45 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Gotta love those fuel senders.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:38 PM
maddogwyatt
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by scrappy76
The other day when I got home for work, looked at my fuel gauge and it was reading about 125 miles left. I figured I would fill up the next time I take it out. This is the lowest I have ever let it go. Yesterday, weather was nice my son and I were going to basketball practice. The gas station was only about 2 miles away. In those 2 miles, my gauge went from 120 miles down to 24 miles, the reserve warning came on the little lines started blinking, the check gauges popped on. The car gauge definately drops quick and alot of warnings let you know you are running out of gas lol.
I always keep plenty of fuel in mine because the gauge is so inaccurate. I've had the sender out, and cleaned the blade and rheostat, but I think the problem is two-fold.....1) It's not a great design, and......2) There's a fair amount of wear on the wiper blade, so that, instead of the contact point being a sharp "V" shape, it's worn to a wider flat shape, so it touches too much of the rheostat winding.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:22 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I know mine drops (based on the bars) faster towards the end than when it is full but that is kinda rapid a drop. OTOH, I don't place any value on the "Lie-O-Meter" when it comes to guessing the range. I just go by the bars. Doesn't matter how low you let it run. Nothing bad will happen. Your weiner won't fall off.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:33 PM
dayle97se
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Did you happen to look notice how all the other instrument and dash lights (radio, HVAC, etc.) were behaving at the time? Were those dimming too? This all happened to me once in my 96. Ended up being a slightly loose negative battery cable. Check yours first...
Old 03-23-2017, 06:42 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by dayle97se
Did you happen to look notice how all the other instrument and dash lights (radio, HVAC, etc.) were behaving at the time? Were those dimming too? This all happened to me once in my 96. Ended up being a slightly loose negative battery cable. Check yours first...
Nope, didn't notice any of that. I myself try not to let any of my cars drop below 1/4 tank. Now I know where the drop starts on my vette.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:09 PM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I've always been told that with in tank fuel pumps one of the purposes of the fuel was to cool the pump...although mine has run down to about 25 % a couple of times it wasn't there long. Maybe if the pump was getting a little warm it aggravated an existing condition. Although I'm sure you probably know this, the fuel tank on our cars is hardly linear...big on the top and narrow towards the bottom.

later, tiny

Last edited by 1800Wing; 03-24-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:15 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1800Wing
I've always been told that with in tank fuel pumps one of the purposes of the fuel was to cool the pump...although mine has run down to about 25 % a couple of times it wasn't there long. Maybe if the pump was getting a little warm it aggravated an existing condition. Although I'm sure you probably know this, the fuel tank on our cars is hardly linear...big on the top and narrow towards the bottom.

later, tiny
I've been told the same thing. I choose not to listen to old wives' tales. Someone who ran a test got the pump to burn out after over 30 minutes of continuous running with no fuel. How long does your motor run without fuel again? Without fuel to load the motor, for all we know it is over spinning but for the test he didn't factor that.

If you believe that old wives' tale, you can also make sure that your battery doesn't sit on the bare concrete.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:13 PM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
I've been told the same thing. I choose not to listen to old wives' tales. Someone who ran a test got the pump to burn out after over 30 minutes of continuous running with no fuel. How long does your motor run without fuel again? Without fuel to load the motor, for all we know it is over spinning but for the test he didn't factor that.

If you believe that old wives' tale, you can also make sure that your battery doesn't sit on the bare concrete.
I never put much stock in that battery discharge conjecture anyway, do you have a link to that fuel pump test ? or know where I could find it ?

later, tiny
Old 03-25-2017, 01:03 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1800Wing
I never put much stock in that battery discharge conjecture anyway, do you have a link to that fuel pump test ? or know where I could find it ?

later, tiny

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1590728908

Post 39 but you can scroll backwards to see it takes a LONG time

Get notified of new replies

To Flashing signs, Warning lights ! Low fuel warning

Quick Reply: Flashing signs, Warning lights ! Low fuel warning