1992 Service ASR / Security Blinks 3x / SYS flashes at speedo

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 10:04 PM
offroadjim
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Service ASR / Security Blinks 3x / SYS flashes at speedo

Hi

I have a 1992 coupe with 155,000 miles on it. The "Service ASR" light just came on along with the "Security" light blinking three times and "SYS" blinking on the speedometer display. The car continues to run but once I turn it off it will not start again. If I disconnect the negative battery cable and wait a min or two then reconnect it the car does start and runs fine but eventually it all happens again. Any idea where to start trouble shooting this or what it could be?

Thanks
Jim
Old 03-24-2017, 02:08 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,953 Likes on 940 Posts

There are a lot of posts here regarding the SYS error - but the first place to start is to give your battery a FULL charge. The SYS error is known to pop up with a low charged battery.

If your battery isn't holding its charge - get a new one...it should take alot of your headaches away. If the problem persists, you may look at the terminals and battery cables for any issues.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:00 AM
larry_c4
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This could be the ECM. The ECM in the 1992 is prone to failure due to solder joints inside coming loose over time. With my '92, the car would flash the SYS, Security Light and Service ASR light. A way to tell if the ECM is bad is by physically tapping on or hitting the ECM while the car is running. If the car spudders or stalls when you hit the ECM, it is most likely at fault. It also helps to use the paperclip method to pull codes over the Digital Display (
).

Get notified of new replies

To 1992 Service ASR / Security Blinks 3x / SYS flashes at speedo

Quick Reply: 1992 Service ASR / Security Blinks 3x / SYS flashes at speedo