This might go sideways ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 09:39 PM
skidball
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts
Default This might go sideways ?

Ok,
I just gonna plead my case. 92 lt1 46,000 miles. When I first got the car, zero oil leaks under car. First oil change to synthetic to mobile one 5 -30. drip, drip, drip. I have been under the car for a week trying to find where it's coming from ? Changed valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gasket , silicone front and back on intake . Sat over night to set up. Oil sender unit looked ok. I really don't want to use a uv light and see the real horror. LOL ! Is it a sin to maybe use Castrol gtx conventional oil ? Who ever before me , must have used conventional or a heaver weight oil ?
Old 03-24-2017, 10:00 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Start from scratch and clean off all the old oil with degreaser, then run it and see where the leak is coming from. I use conventional oil with absolutely no issues.
The following users liked this post:
skidball (03-25-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 10:26 PM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Sounds like you've covered the usual suspects pretty well...might be time for some "simple green" in a spray bottle...and the hose. I'd lay some newspapers under the pig after I put it on some stands. Let it sit overnight and start from scratch....I know this has got to be making you nuts.

later, tiny
skidball (03-25-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 11:11 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

No reason for synthetic oil to leak and conventional to not. I agree with the others, clean it all up and figure out the leak from there.

Fwiw, the lt1 was designed for synthetic oil.
skidball (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 07:54 AM
haxxx
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a small leak and I just deal with it. Mine is incredibly slow and I don't have to add to it within 5k miles, which is what I drive in a year. As long as it's not leaking a ton of oil I would just live with it. It doesn't hurt anything. I put cardboard under where it drips.

You probably didn't waste your time with the intake gasket though. The bolts loosen over time and will create a vacuum leak and eventually make a real mess. Is your leak covering the whole oil pan from front to back? There are a ton of things that can leak from the front of engine (which is what mine is doing). Anything from the front of the oil pan gasket, timing cover seals, opti seal.
skidball (03-26-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 09:10 AM
Edv92c4
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a small leak as well. From what people say on here it seems to be very common. It's will only be a drop or two over a span of a couple weeks to a couple months. My garage floor is sealed so I just wipe it up every time I move the car. The engine and undercarriage is very clean so I don't intend to do anything unless it becomes worse.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:13 AM
Edv92c4
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

The undercarriage of my 92
belairbrian (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 09:55 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

All LT1s leak
Old 03-25-2017, 11:17 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by skidball
s it a sin to maybe use Castrol gtx conventional oil ? Who ever before me , must have used conventional or a heaver weight oil ?
Yes, 3 "Hail Mary" chants, 2 "Our Father" chants and send me $2000 cash. From now on, use Mobil 1 that I sell you. My version is made by 72 virgins.

Some people use heavier weight oil to try hide engine noise, etc. Here is what I would do. Use a good degreaser and clean the entire engine. I wouldn't hit the electronics with a high pressure spray. I have cleaned off my engine and never had an electronics problem as long as I don't douse the connectors. Also my engine will be quickly warmed up to dry it off.

Find oil tracing dye and dump 2 or 3 times the recommended amount and drive for a bit and check with UV light.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:52 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

IRRC, there was a TSB issued for the '92 LT1 engine that pointed out an oil leak from the front cover. Thought I had a copy of that, but nowhere to be found. Could be from the gasket or crank seal. In any event, the TSB at that time only covered a relatively small number of '92 cars. One of our club members had a '92 that had that leak and the repair was covered at the local dealer.

Is there a website somewhere that lists both recalls and TSB's for the '92 LT1 engines?
Old 03-25-2017, 02:49 PM
RIPS
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it never leaked until you changed the oil, I would look first at the obvious. Although you didn't mention it and you may have already done it, I would suspect either the drain plug or the filter. As I'm sure you know, old gasket material sometimes doesn't all come off with the old filter and remaining pieces can cause the new one to leak. I don't know if your drain plug has/had a crush washer, but if so, was it replaced with a new one? Re-used ones can work for a while, but not indefinitely. Lastly, an over tightened drain plug or under tightened filter can leak. Of course you have to be careful about over tightening the filter, but I've found I sometimes have to go back and give it a little extra snug.
Another thing I do is place fresh cardboard (preferably white) under the car to identify where the drips are falling from. This doesn't always work since it can run down from a higher point, but it at least gives you a starting point for tracing it back.
skidball (03-26-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 04:25 PM
zapc
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

been doing the old car thing for way longer than I care to admit, and do not want to open up the whole synthetic oil thing, but I will tell you for sure that synthetic works very well as a cleaner in an older motor that used conventional oil. you added synthetic and it removed just enough crud in your motor that was stopping a small leak either in a gasket or a seal. unfortunately even going back to conventional oil will not cure leak, you must find and repair leak, this is why you have always heard the old wives tail not to use synthetic in an older motor that never used it before. unfortunately its not an old wives tail.
old time mechanics used to throw a quart of tranny fluid in their older before an oil change for a 100 miles because it cleaned the motor the same way.

sorry doesnt help your problem, just hoping others wont do the same thing, love synthetic, just not on an older used motor.

Originally Posted by bow tie guy
5-30 vs 15-40

I live in a warm climate, and as spring is upon us I'll use 15-40 in summer months

on a side note: my LS1 corvettes oil caps says use 15-40 for "competitive driving" you do any competitive driving?

p.s. this Isn't the fisrt I've read of people switching to light weight mobil one and reporting leaks soon after
skidball (03-26-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 06:20 PM
BLUDICE
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
All LT1s leak
Mine doesn't - 96k on it. '94

Last edited by BLUDICE; 03-25-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:41 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by BLUDICE
Mine doesn't - 96k on it. '94
My 94 has not leaked yet. Do not get the opti wet. Did you check the oil filter?
skidball (03-26-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 10:35 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

I don't know about old timers. I do know that I have switched car oil from regular to synthetic. 50k 100k and 150k etc. If it leaks, it leaks. If it did not, it did not.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:12 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

I want to post but then I dont.

Old School Power.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:00 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

You can get dye you add to the oil ck it in the dark with some type of black light.

Long as oil isnt leaking BAD stopped chasing them alll
Its a chevy sooner or later they will

Get notified of new replies

To This might go sideways ?

Old 03-26-2017, 07:23 PM
skidball
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edv92c4

The undercarriage of my 92
nice !
Edv92c4 (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 07:42 PM
skidball
Instructor

Hello,
This weekend I put the car up on jack stands and found a leak above the oil filter adapter. Took it off and found the gasket was gone , like there was nothing to write home about. Scraped off what was left , and by the way ( oh god if I could only see anymore ) lol. Re installed new gasket and o ring. also found the threaded nipple was loose. Fixed that. Putting a crush washer on drain plug. and gonna change the oil and see what happens.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:48 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
I don't know about old timers. I do know that I have switched car oil from regular to synthetic. 50k 100k and 150k etc. If it leaks, it leaks. If it did not, it did not.
- recently switched from dino to syn on both my 85 and 90 -- 1000 and 4000 miles between the two, and all seems to be bone dry. aklim summed it up - if it leaks, it leaks, if not, not...

Originally Posted by zapc
...but I will tell you for sure that synthetic works very well as a cleaner in an older motor that used conventional oil. you added synthetic and it removed just enough crud in your motor that was stopping a small leak ...this is why you have always heard the old wives tail not to use synthetic in an older motor that never used it before. unfortunately its not an old wives tail.
old time mechanics used to throw a quart of tranny fluid in their older before an oil change for a 100 miles because it cleaned the motor the same way.
NEWSFLASH, it IS an old wives tail. crud doesn't seal anything - only gaskets seal. and quit using the term "old timers" - it's making some of us look like idiots -

Originally Posted by RIPS
If it never leaked until you changed the oil, I would look first at the obvious. Although you didn't mention it and you may have already done it, I would suspect either the drain plug or the filter. As I'm sure you know, old gasket material sometimes doesn't all come off with the old filter and remaining pieces can cause the new one to leak. I don't know if your drain plug has/had a crush washer, but if so, was it replaced with a new one? Re-used ones can work for a while, but not indefinitely. Lastly, an over tightened drain plug or under tightened filter can leak. Of course you have to be careful about over tightening the filter, but I've found I sometimes have to go back and give it a little extra snug.
Another thing I do is place fresh cardboard (preferably white) under the car to identify where the drips are falling from. This doesn't always work since it can run down from a higher point, but it at least gives you a starting point for tracing it back.
BINGO, and we have a winner!

This weekend I put the car up on jack stands and found a leak above the oil filter adapter. Took it off and found the gasket was gone.
who would of thought?

Last edited by Joe C; 03-27-2017 at 09:00 AM.

Quick Reply: This might go sideways ?