C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Ideas on values

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 03:28 PM
Edd1964
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ideas on values

Hello all. I am trying to figure out a realistic price to ask for my 92 convertible 6 speed. I have been seeing values and selling prices all over the place and it makes it difficult to figure out. I have posted the pictures and info in the F/S section. any ideas on a real world price would be helpful and appreciated. last thing I want to do is put a unrealistic price and get laughed at.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:51 PM
Tact
Law Dawg Moderator

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
CF St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Last edited by Tact; 03-26-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:57 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

From your other post sounds like 9k maybe wouldnt be a bad place to start depends on how soon you want to sell.

Theres always Cl and of course ebay found a better audience on ebay doing a fixed price or best offer plus listing it is free.

CL out here has gotten nothing but trolls, wanna be flippers, lots of hate mail people flagging your post cause they have the same thing & think pulling your ad down will sell theirs etc.
Bunch of lowlifes.
Maybe youll get lucky it only takes 1.

Last edited by cv67; 03-26-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:48 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

In my opinion,there are many factors that add or detract from values on Vettes and any car really...

I will attempt to list what I think are good valuation factors

1. Curb appeal. How the car presents itself when you first lay eyes on it? Is the paint shiny and the wheels clean w/o brake dust, rust, bad clear coat. Any body damage. All glass is good and clean.

1a. Color Combination. While open to personal preference, some combinations will bring more value than others. Say, a blue on blue vs black on red.

2. Mechanical Condition: This is probably most important even above curb appeal. Buyers like knowing service history. They like to see a folder with saved receipts and a list of work done over the cars life when possible.
2a. Engine/Trans combination. LT4/6sp will bring a much higher price than an L83/4+3 even when the L83 has lass miles, all other condition items equal.
2b. Trans type. Automatic or Standard shift.

3. Interior Condition. Vettes of the C4 vintage are not known for highest quality interior finish. Consequently, important to buyers is leather condition, plastic condition, carpet condition. Gauge and accessory operation.... (A/C, radio, pwr seats,windows etc.)

4. Surrounding Market. Depending upon what region you live, Vettes can bring different values for relatively the same year and condition car. Also, the time of year matters if you live in a 4 seasonal area. Vettes will sell for less in winter vs Spring & Summer

5. Other Vette Specific Items. 1 or 2 tops for coupe. Convertible top with or without hard top. Cloth or leather. Heavy duty brakes. Heavy duty suspension.

All that said, there will be one person that values a yellow car over a white car... and vice a versa. So personal preference has something to do with decisions as well. One buyer will be ok with high mileage and one will not.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:05 PM
Edv92c4
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3
In my opinion,there are many factors that add or detract from values on Vettes and any car really...

1. Curb appeal. How the car presents itself when you first lay eyes on it? Is the paint shiny and the wheels clean w/o brake dust, rust, bad clear coat. Any body damage. All glass is good and clean.

1a. Color Combination. While open to personal preference, some combinations will bring more value than others. Say, a blue on blue vs black on red.

2. Mechanical Condition: This is probably most important even above curb appeal. Buyers like knowing service history. They like to see a folder with saved receipts and a list of work done over the cars life when possible.
2a. Engine/Trans combination. LT4/6sp will bring a much higher price than an L83/4+3 even when the L83 has lass miles, all other condition items equal.

3. Interior Condition. Vettes of the C4 vintage are not known for highest quality interior finish. Consequently, important to buyers is leather condition, plastic condition, carpet condition. Gauge and accessory operation.... (A/C, radio, pwr seats,windows etc.)

4. Surrounding Market. Depending upon what region you live, Vettes can bring different values for relatively the same year and condition car. Also, the time of year matters if you live in a 4 seasonal area. Vettes will sell for less in winter vs Spring & Summer

5. Other Vette Specific Items. 1 or 2 tops for coupe. Convertible top with or without hard top. Cloth or leather. Heavy duty brakes. Heavy duty suspension.

All that said, there will be one person that values a yellow car over a white car... and vice a versa. So personal preference has something to do with decisions as well. One buyer will be ok with high mileage and one will not.

The above pretty much sums it up. Question for the OP...it looks as if you car has later model seats in it...I believe they ran from 94-96. Did you change them or possibly a PO?
Old 03-26-2017, 08:31 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Edv92c4
Question for the OP...it looks as if you car has later model seats in it...I believe they ran from 94-96. Did you change them or possibly a PO?
Also looks like most of the dash controls came from a 94-96 as well, maybe a parts car was used?
Old 03-26-2017, 11:53 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,234 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Originally Posted by Edd1964
Hello all. I am trying to figure out a realistic price to ask for my 92 convertible 6 speed. I have been seeing values and selling prices all over the place and it makes it difficult to figure out. I have posted the pictures and info in the F/S section. any ideas on a real world price would be helpful and appreciated. last thing I want to do is put a unrealistic price and get laughed at.
Have you thought of asking a bank for a loan just to see what they value it at? I would think they have ways of finding out what the car is selling for as opposed to a seller asking for a "pie in the sky" value.

Buying and selling, I could care less about your laughter. Not my problem. When buying, I expect you to ask high and I expect to offer low. Conversely, when I sell, I expect to ask high and you to offer low. We argue till we can find mutual ground. If not, "Have a nice day".
Old 03-27-2017, 03:36 AM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3

Good advice. I think #1 curb appeal aka initial impression is HUGE just huge for most buyers in this market. Overall I say paint condition as no.1 for single most important thing on a car like the C4 (unless buyer is looking for project, something cheap etc)

I say paint bc its the single most important expensive thing to replace and to get right (if matching segments). Plus ppl like working on engines, how many like working on paint No, waxing is not paint work lol

The C4 is like a girl man, if the body doesn't look good then the rest of the pkg is not worth much
Old 03-28-2017, 12:47 AM
Edd1964
Advanced

Originally Posted by jay23ls
Good advice. I think #1 curb appeal aka initial impression is HUGE just huge for most buyers in this market. Overall I say paint condition as no.1 for single most important thing on a car like the C4 (unless buyer is looking for project, something cheap etc)

I say paint bc its the single most important expensive thing to replace and to get right (if matching segments). Plus ppl like working on engines, how many like working on paint No, waxing is not paint work lol

The C4 is like a girl man, if the body doesn't look good then the rest of the pkg is not worth much

Yes the seats are from the 95 car that the engine came out of. The dash is what came in it when I bought it. Of course the radio was replaced. I guess 9K will be the price i will ask for
Old 03-28-2017, 06:45 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

If you need to get really serious about values you need a professional appraisal. You generally only need this if the IRS, or an ex-wife, is coming after you.

You want an appraiser who has been involved with the IRS on prior cases and one who is certified.

You probably don't need this level for a C4. Now if you owned a 1963 GS you would absolutely need a professional.

Richard Newton
What's My Car Really Worth?
Old 03-29-2017, 01:45 PM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Not sure you got the answer you wanted. A nice 92 6M soft top should get $9k on a good day. If its in average condition more like 7. My recommendation would be to post it at 9 and see what happens. If lower offers come in get the guy's number. Its hard to be in a hurry with a C4.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:57 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,263 Likes on 1,447 Posts

where i live in canada your car would be asking about 12k cad. which is about 9.5 k usd.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:01 PM
Edd1964
Advanced

Thanks for all of the Info. 9 sounds like a good start
Old 05-13-2017, 02:05 PM
krackenvette
Race Director

Received 163 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Edv92c4

The above pretty much sums it up. Question for the OP...it looks as if you car has later model seats in it...I believe they ran from 94-96. Did you change them or possibly a PO?
they are the OEM sport seats with lumbar pumps etc. Optional seats were cloth, beleive it or not.
94 to 96 were more comfortable, in my opinion
The following users liked this post:
rfn026 (05-19-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Ideas on values

Quick Reply: Ideas on values