C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Setting up a Kwik-lift

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 04:19 PM
koritz123
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Setting up a Kwik-lift

The front of the Kwik-lift is sliding when I pull up on it what kind of padding should I put under the front to ramps. Front ramps only. Second question is will a lowered 1991 Corvette bottom out going up the ramps or do I need to put two by fours or something under the front in addition to the non-slip pad.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:19 PM
SmokinBlack
Team Owner

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08

I use 1/2" thick rubber stall mats from our local farm store. No movement at all on our smooth concrete.

The following users liked this post:
koritz123 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 06:42 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I guess I have been lucky. No pads, smooth concrete, and no movement.

All I did was mark the floor so that I could see if it moves and for when I take it down I know where to put it back.

Interested in what others are doing.
koritz123 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 09:46 PM
Dakotaz
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Car floor mat works well.
koritz123 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 07:40 PM
B17Crew
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts

Like QCVette, my Kwik-Lift is on smooth concrete. I marked the placement of the two front stands and the beginning of the ramps with 2 inch tape. If I have any movement, I just nudge them back in alignment with the tape. I only ever see about 1/4 inch of movement from my tape markings. Just a quick nudge after the car is backed down puts things where they were. When the shift occurs, it is always after backing down the ramps. The movement is negligible. Sure do love my Kwik-Lift and its simplicity. No muss, no fuss, no hydraulics to worry about. Bought mine new about 8 months ago.

B17Crew
koritz123 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 09:35 PM
koritz123
Racer

Originally Posted by B17Crew
Like QCVette, my Kwik-Lift is on smooth concrete. I marked the placement of the two front stands and the beginning of the ramps with 2 inch tape. If I have any movement, I just nudge them back in alignment with the tape. I only ever see about 1/4 inch of movement from my tape markings. Just a quick nudge after the car is backed down puts things where they were. When the shift occurs, it is always after backing down the ramps. The movement is negligible. Sure do love my Kwik-Lift and its simplicity. No muss, no fuss, no hydraulics to worry about. Bought mine new about 8 months ago.

B17Crew
I am having some slight sliding when I pull up says an observer. Also right rear passenger tire ends up almost at edge of ramp not centered so I''m going to try moving start of the ramps a couple of inches right to see if that helps
Old 03-27-2017, 09:59 PM
B17Crew
Pro

Originally Posted by koritz123
I am having some slight sliding when I pull up says an observer. Also right rear passenger tire ends up almost at edge of ramp not centered so I''m going to try moving start of the ramps a couple of inches right to see if that helps
I've wound up with a tire not centered before as well. It can happen if your ramps are not equally spaced apart. I took a tape measure and measured the distance between the front of the ramp beams and rear ramp beams to make the sure I had equal spacing. This worked out well. After measuring distance between front and rear beams and driving the car up the ramps is when I marked the garage floor with tape. I hope this helps!

B17Crew
koritz123 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 10:06 PM
B17Crew
Pro

Originally Posted by SmokinBlack
I use 1/2" thick rubber stall mats from our local farm store. No movement at all on our smooth concrete.

I have the same exact Battery Tender!

B17Crew
Old 03-28-2017, 10:50 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

my car is lowered I used 12 inch pieces of 2 X 12 that I had.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:38 PM
koritz123
Racer

Originally Posted by Kevova
my car is lowered I used 12 inch pieces of 2 X 12 that I had.
Under the front of the ramps or as a lead up to the ramps.

I read somewhere on the Forum that somebody put two by fours under the front of the ramps so they didn't bottom out with their lowered Corvette.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:05 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

lead up. It will depend on the length of the 2X4s. Once you align your car to go on ramp you will know what you have to do. Sometimes it's coming off as the lip wants to drag. I lowered mine after getting lift.
koritz123 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 06:11 PM
koritz123
Racer

I've wound up with a tire not centered before as well. It can happen if your ramps are not equally spaced apart. I took a tape measure and measured the distance between the front of the ramp beams and rear ramp beams to make the sure I had equal spacing. This worked out well. After measuring distance between front and rear beams and driving the car up the ramps is when I marked the garage floor with tape. I hope this helps!

B17Crew
As soon as I can get over to the house that has my car in its garage; we're remodeling a house that we bought before we move in;, I think that's a good idea. I'll measure between the ramps on the lower end to make sure they're equal to the upper end where I put the bridge or I could just slide the bridge all the way down and see if it bottle necks going down. But once I get both the upper and lower ramps equal in width then I should put some tape down to make sure that I can always keep them aligned because I sure would hate to drive the rear passenger wheel off of the ramp; that would not be a good thing
Old 03-29-2017, 06:14 PM
SmokinBlack
Team Owner

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08

I have the same exact Battery Tender!

B17Crew
Old 03-30-2017, 09:58 PM
B17Crew
Pro

As soon as I can get over to the house that has my car in its garage; we're remodeling a house that we bought before we move in;, I think that's a good idea. I'll measure between the ramps on the lower end to make sure they're equal to the upper end where I put the bridge or I could just slide the bridge all the way down and see if it bottle necks going down. But once I get both the upper and lower ramps equal in width then I should put some tape down to make sure that I can always keep them aligned because I sure would hate to drive the rear passenger wheel off of the ramp; that would not be a good thing
Hope it works out for you!

B17Crew

Last edited by B17Crew; 03-30-2017 at 09:58 PM.
koritz123 (04-02-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 10:14 PM
koritz123
Racer

Hope it works out for you!

B17Crew
I got over to the new house today where the Kwik-lift is and took the right rear ramp and moved it over about 2 or 3 inches and it actually was narrower than the upper two ramps before I moved it, but when I moved it over two or three inches it was actually wider than the upper ramps and the right rear passenger tire now fits perfectly on that ramp as does the driver's rear tire so that seemed to solve the problem. I'll put some tape on the ground and we'll be good to go thank you all.

Now what I need are some preramps to just butt up to the start of the Kwik-lift something about a foot long I didn't get those with a Kwik-lift I bought on Craigslist. Because an observer noticed that when I hit the Ramps Head On Without a preramp it causes them to slide and I also need some rubber mats to go under the front to cut down on sliding.

Last edited by koritz123; 04-02-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:04 PM
B17Crew
Pro

I got over to the new house today where the Kwik-lift is and took the right rear ramp and moved it over about 2 or 3 inches and it actually was narrower than the upper two ramps before I moved it, but when I moved it over two or three inches it was actually wider than the upper ramps and the right rear passenger tire now fits perfectly on that ramp as does the driver's rear tire so that seemed to solve the problem. I'll put some tape on the ground and we'll be good to go thank you all.

Now what I need are some preramps to just butt up to the start of the Kwik-lift something about a foot long I didn't get those with a Kwik-lift I bought on Craigslist. Because an observer noticed that when I hit the Ramps Head On Without a preramp it causes them to slide and I also need some rubber mats to go under the front to cut down on sliding.
Attached are plans for homemade wooden approach ramps. They are very easy to build and work well. They plans came with my ramps when I purchased them and were also posted on the Kwik-Lift website.

Link to site: https://kwik-lift.com/assembly/#

Hope this helps!

B17Crew
koritz123 (04-06-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 08:28 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Attached are plans for homemade wooden approach ramps. They are very easy to build and work well. They plans came with my ramps when I purchased them and were also posted on the Kwik-Lift website.....
That is what I based my ramps on too.

I made a few changes also.

I am not a fan of gluing it together so I used some all thread and some nuts and washers to tighten it up.

I also didn't want as much weight, so I used sections as spacers instead of a solid ramp.

Mine is one 2x section wider than the plan and it still is not as wide as the Kwik-lift. I would even make it one wider.

A picture of mine for comparison, but you can get creative or not how you build or modify it.

For when the kwik lift is in the up position, I don't use a ramp before the kwik lift ramps, but I just use a 1 x 6 about a foot long in front of the kwik lift ramp so the tire hit that 1" wood and then about another 1" at the front of the Kwik lift ramp. The smaller step might be why mine doesn't move on a smooth concrete floor.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Setting up a Kwik-lift

Old 04-05-2017, 08:46 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Man... I sold my red Kwik Lift just a few months back... I didnt think I was going to have the opportunity to use it again.... now I am regretting it! Well, the good thing is, if I truly need to use it, I sold it to a friend who says I can come by & use it any time....
Old 04-06-2017, 12:55 AM
koritz123
Racer

Attached are plans for homemade wooden approach ramps. They are very easy to build and work well. They plans came with my ramps when I purchased them and were also posted on the Kwik-Lift website.

Link to site: https://kwik-lift.com/assembly/#

Hope this helps!

B17Crew
I believe I have those but they are too long as I'm using the 14 ft setting and the long ramps hang out of my garage door.

I need something about 1 foot long max in my situation. Otherwise these would be great!
Old 04-06-2017, 01:07 AM
koritz123
Racer

Originally Posted by QCVette
That is what I based my ramps on too.

I made a few changes also.

I am not a fan of gluing it together so I used some all thread and some nuts and washers to tighten it up.

I also didn't want as much weight, so I used sections as spacers instead of a solid ramp.

Mine is one 2x section wider than the plan and it still is not as wide as the Kwik-lift. I would even make it one wider.

A picture of mine for comparison, but you can get creative or not how you build or modify it.

For when the kwik lift is in the up position, I don't use a ramp before the kwik lift ramps, but I just use a 1 x 6 about a foot long in front of the kwik lift ramp so the tire hit that 1" wood and then about another 1" at the front of the Kwik lift ramp. The smaller step might be why mine doesn't move on a smooth concrete floor.

Good luck.
A 1 x 6 might work in this situation. Thanks All!

Quick Reply: Setting up a Kwik-lift