Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

I was in an accident years ago but my CARFAX says the car is clean?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 12:47 PM
gpagaduan
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I was in an accident years ago but my CARFAX says the car is clean?

Accident was in 1992. I reported it to the CA DMV. The repair was handled by my insurance company and repaired by West Coast Corvettes in Placentia. It was a major repair...$$$$. I had someone run my CARFAX a couple of months ago and it came out clean. They have accurate history on my mileage, I'm assuming they get that from the yearly registration and the required smog check.

I would never in a million years represent this car to someone if I were to sell it, which isn't going to happen. I'm just wondering how accurate CARFAX is?
Old 11-30-2002, 12:48 PM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Default Re: I was in an accident years ago but my CARFAX says the car is clean? (gpagaduan)

I was always under the impression that unless the car was deemed TOTALLED by the insurance company, and they issued a Salvage Title, that your report would come up clean??

Jeff
Old 11-30-2002, 12:58 PM
gpagaduan
Pro

Default Re: I was in an accident years ago but my CARFAX says the car is clean? (Jbaker)

But what about accidents? In CA I think we're "required" to report accidents that have damage over $500. Wouldn't that be of interest to you as a consumer that is shelling out money for the report? If the DMV has that information on file, shouldn't it make the CARFAX report?
Old 11-30-2002, 02:48 PM
GDP
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: I was in an accident years ago but my CARFAX says the car is clean? (gpagaduan)

That's :crazy:. I knew I couldn't really trust Carfax. :nonod:
Old 11-30-2002, 03:43 PM
VetteBabe1
Safety Car

Default Re: I was in an accident years ago but my CARFAX says the car is clean? (GDP)

My old 90 was rear ended and repaired, but carfax is clean. If it's totalled, and the title never changes hands and the car is bought back, it probably won't show up on the carfax. I have seen "accident reported" and stuff on them aside from "salvage title", etc.
Old 11-30-2002, 10:09 PM
no_radio
Drifting

CarFax = crap
they get their data from state DMVs and other sources, it's not their own. Most DMVs purge records after 5 years or so, so if it's been more than 5 years, as in your case, forget about accuracy.
In my case, I bought an '87 Grand National that had been stolen in '95. Guess what...it was stolen more than 5 years before I bought it, so clean CarFax. I got REALLY lucky and got it back from the theft division and insurance company, but it's really hard to sell and recoup the money with a state VIN Number...but the CarFax is still clean!!!
Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To I was in an accident years ago but my CARFAX says the car is clean?

Quick Reply: I was in an accident years ago but my CARFAX says the car is clean?