Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Driving in the winter- question about the salt on the roads.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 12:36 PM
Gixxer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Driving in the winter- question about the salt on the roads.

My Vette is an everyday driver in the summer but it sits in the garage int he winter. The salt they put on the roads up here just eats cars up.

It warmed up and rained here the other day and it washed most of the salt off the roads. They still have a white powder on them from the salt and a little at the intersections.

What's everyone opinions on taking out the Vette for a ride? I don't want to get salt up underneath and have it sit all winter without being washed.

If the roads are white from the salt should we still stay off them to avoid any rust underneath or isn't that enough to hurt it?

[Modified by Gixxer, 11:37 AM 12/22/2002]
Old 12-22-2002, 01:23 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Driving in the winter- question about the salt on the roads. (Gixxer)

Tomorrow I'm taking my Vette from SE NY to Richfield, OH and hoping the salt is at a minimum. I've done this for two seasons now and haven't realy cleaned the underside though I've thought of those brushless washes that have chassis spray to clean the underside.

Around home in SE NY I don't take her on the roads till they look "clean".

Maybe you can find out what chemical is used by your local road crews; if not so corrosive it would be ok. Otherwise you might want to find a wash that can spary under there.

It's tough to not take the Vette out when the weather clears.
Old 12-22-2002, 01:34 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

After 2 winters of driving on salty roads I have 0 rust. I just spray the bottom off once a week.
Old 12-22-2002, 02:41 PM
Storz
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: (scorp508)

:iagree: with Scorp, I drive mine everyday and wash off the bottom once or twice a week and I have no rust
Old 12-22-2002, 02:43 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Salt-Sand

I'm with the above.

Each spring, I take it to one of thoe bay type car washes, bring out the jack and jack stands and up she goes. A nice pressure wash of the under-carriage will remove any of the sand and salt(prolly a little excessive, and you shoud see the looks I get from doing so) Purchase one of those scrub brushes from Home Depot etc and get it nice and clean.

Of course you could do like Scorp or 65Z01 do and blast the underside with the soapy water. Salt dissolves easily.

J.D.

Get notified of new replies

To Driving in the winter- question about the salt on the roads.

Quick Reply: Driving in the winter- question about the salt on the roads.