C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

VATS Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 07:30 PM
MAINEVETTE87
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VATS Question

I'm having an intermittent starting problem and it appears from a web search that there is a widespread problem with the ignition key lock of GM cars of that era (1987) and the vehicle anti theft system (VATS). One solution apparently is a new improved ignition lock. Corvette Central has a much cheaper approach; a $25 connector that disables the VATS system. Any experience or advice? Thanks.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:07 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: VATS Question (MAINEVETTE87)

99% of car thefts are done by bashing the column and jumping the ignition. I know someone that went to their C4 after work to find the window and column broken, but the car hadn't moved an inch. I own an 87 and drive it every day and several years ago it wouldn't start and I had the ignition switch replaced and it has started every day. Now if your left headlight burns out will you epoxy a flashlight onto the hood? My advice is to keep your VATS working.
I answer VATS problems a lot here and hear upset owners tired of dealing with a C4 that randomly won't start. If they would just find out if the ign sw contacts are making with the pellet and replace the ign sw if bad, they would have a reliable car again.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:58 PM
farhorizon
Advanced

Default Re: VATS Question (jfb)

I've only had my '87 for about 3 months, but in that time I've had 4 or 5 occasions when the key would turn and everything BUT the starter would work. I found that I could start right up if I disconnected the battery, hooked it back up and tried again. Is this symptomatic of the VATS problem?
Old 03-06-2003, 08:09 AM
MAINEVETTE87
Cruising

Default Re: VATS Question (farhorizon)

From what I hear, yes. That's why I posted the question to get some feedback from those experienced. I understand that the issue relates to the stock ignition lock that does not make good enough contact with the resistor element on the key to start every time. I believe there is something like a 4 minute delay built in before you can try to start the car again. I have heard that GM produced a new lock that solves the problem but I have no idea whether it's still available, how much, etc.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:50 AM
dlmeyers
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: VATS Question (MAINEVETTE87)

The four minute delay was extended to 10 minutes in later years. Can't recall exactly but believe it was around 90. This is when the VATS coding was included with the Central Control Module.

Suspect if you order a new cylinder lock, you will get the improved cylinder/harder pins. Remember too, should you install the fixed resistor, you are simply bypassing the cylinder lock pins/key connetion. The VATS "system" is still there, just tricked. Good key, good cylinder lock, system should work just fine.

Many options.

dlmeyers 90 coupe zf6 3 speed shocks

Get notified of new replies

To VATS Question

Quick Reply: VATS Question