Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Cost of shipping C4 from South Florida to Ireland and back?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 12:47 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Default Cost of shipping C4 from South Florida to Ireland and back?

My wife hasn't been home to Ireland in sixteen years so we're planning a trip sometime later in the year. I was thinking it might be big fun to take the Vette with and see a bit of the old sod as well as the UK. Of course, cost and the ability to get it serviced over there if the need arises are concerns so I was wondering if anybody has any info on shipping costs/companies, service tips, any FYIs in general on this subject or has actually shipped a car over to Ireland/UK. I know a few folks active on the site are actually in Europe and I'll be contacting them personally but any information anyone else could provide would be greatly appreciated, thanks....
Old 07-14-2003, 03:50 PM
SPD DMN
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Cost of shipping C4 from South Florida to Ireland and back? (tobijohn)

IMO, it would be cheaper to rent a nice Convertible over there and not take a chance on shipping your baby over seas. I have heard a lot of horor stories about how well a car got shipped from overseas back to the states.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:57 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

Default Re: Cost of shipping C4 from South Florida to Ireland and back? (Vette92)

Vette92 wrote:
"IMO, it would be cheaper to rent a nice Convertible over there and not take a chance on shipping your baby over seas..."

Ahh, but it's a quality of life issue (and a just a litte ego). I saw by your profile that you're a DBA. I used to work with a lot of DBAs when I lived in Chicago and not one of them could I imagine owning a Corvette, let alone several. The DBAs in Texas must be different... ;)
Old 07-14-2003, 05:42 PM
SPD DMN
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Cost of shipping C4 from South Florida to Ireland and back? (tobijohn)

I hear ya on the quality of life bit...

Not all DBA's are created equal when it comes to taste ;).
Old 07-14-2003, 05:59 PM
offershore
Burning Brakes

Don't the road suck there? I've never been and would love to go but I bet you can rent a vert rustang,dought you can rent a vette! :flag
Old 07-14-2003, 06:36 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

Default Re: Cost of shipping C4 from South Florida to Ireland and back? (offershore)

offershore wrote:
"Don't the road suck there? I've never been and would love to go but I bet you can rent a vert rustang"

Well, the road quality WAS one of the things I was interested in but Good Lord, rent a Mustang? I would think that was grounds for getting banned from the Forum! :)
Old 07-14-2003, 06:41 PM
rcolling
Le Mans Master

Not sure if I can help here but I keep looking at the C5 Registry which has shipped the Vettes over and back for LeMans the last couple of years.

You might want to give them a call about this.
http://www.c5registry.com/Special/lemans2k3/Index.htm
Old 07-14-2003, 06:46 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

Default Re: Cost of shipping C4 from South Florida to Ireland and back? (rcolling)

rcolling wrote:
"You might want to give them a call about this. http://www.c5registry.com/Special/lemans2k3/Index.htm"

Excellent lead, thank you!
Old 07-15-2003, 11:32 PM
Sparky_OKC
Advanced

I realize that you may have your heart set on shipping your car, but how about renting a car in Ireland? You may want to contact these folks. They don't rent Corvettes [just Ferraris, Jaguars, BMWs, Mercedes, Porsches, etc.], but may know who may.
http://www.beaufortcarrental.com/default2.html

I gotta say, it's a very cool idea; but, we've been to Ireland twice [Europe many times] and between the high price of fuel [and imagined lack of avilability of high octane], the narrow hedgerow lined roads, the frequent rain, and the general orientation of everything [parking, lane width, etc.] for those little Euro Crap Boxes, I'd think really hard about this one...

Get notified of new replies

To Cost of shipping C4 from South Florida to Ireland and back?

Quick Reply: Cost of shipping C4 from South Florida to Ireland and back?