C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Few comments on all these Ferrari and Lambo Vs Vette posts

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 12:08 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Received 173 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Few comments on all these Ferrari and Lambo Vs Vette posts

My finacees uncle has a 91 Testarossa and an 84 Countach and has owned them since new. Now the Ferrari is driven regularly but the countach still only has 1400 miles on it and 90% of them were auto-X miles.

Now these are older exotics but they are from the C4 era and having driven the ferrari and been in the lambo (i am too tall and can't shift it) i can say that if you took the status of the name out of it i like my C4 better than the ferrari. It actually feels more like a sports car. The interior is WAY nicer and i can drop the top. It really isn't much slower either.

Lambo's are nice but has anyone here sat or drove one. I have been in the countach and there is no way i could drive it with any regularity even if i could shift it. The visibility is non existent and it is not at all comfortable. Awesome to look at though, it has any vette beat hands down in the looks department. I'd go as far to say that this coutach is perhaps the nicest look lambo built. It's an extreme design and they don't make them like that anymore.

Now fast forward to today your newer exotics and newer vettes and it not that much different of a story. The exotcis for the most part (there are exceptions) are just status symbols. If you really spent time in them you'd see they are not all they are cracked up to be. At least in my experience with this particular Testarossa and Countach both in mint shape. I am happy with my vette and even if i could afford one i don't think i'd buy it i'd rather sink it into a nice 60 foot sea-ray and cruise the oceans.

I'm learning more and more that i like what i have, i'm blessed to have it and enjoy it instead of salivating over someones elses stuff. I really like the saying about what you eat doesn't make me s hit. It's true. I still think the vette is your best bang for buck and by that i meant the total package, performance, looks, reliability, even status. I'm happy having a good all around package.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Storz
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Few comments on all these Ferrari and Lambo Vs Vette posts (robertpel9)

:iagree: 100%

Old 09-05-2003, 12:26 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Few comments on all these Ferrari and Lambo Vs Vette posts (robertpel9)

what you eat doesn't make me s hit. It's true
Damn right its true, it would be nice if everyone thought that way, especially when it comes to appearence of a car, most notable, spoilers.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:57 PM
Southern Comfort
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The body lines of all of the C4 years still to me are the most beautiful car ever. I have always wanted a Vette but it became a MUST HAVE when I saw the 84 for the first time.

All the other Vettes have their place in history but to me the C4 is still the most beautiful sports car ever designed. JMHO.... :seeya
Old 09-05-2003, 01:09 PM
Huckzilla
Drifting

Default Re: Few comments on all these Ferrari and Lambo Vs Vette posts (Southern Comfort)

The body lines of all of the C4 years still to me are the most beautiful car ever. I have always wanted a Vette but it became a MUST HAVE when I saw the 84 for the first time.
Couldn't agree with you any more :smash:
Old 09-05-2003, 02:09 PM
rocketfinger
Burning Brakes

My finacees uncle has a 91 Testarossa and an 84 Countach and has owned them since new.
Are ya in his will, yet?
Old 09-05-2003, 02:46 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Received 173 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Re: Few comments on all these Ferrari and Lambo Vs Vette posts (rocketfinger)

My finacees uncle has a 91 Testarossa and an 84 Countach and has owned them since new.

Are ya in his will, yet?
LOL, No, but every year we go visit her grandmother who lives on his property for a week. He clears out the lift in his garage for my vette and we work on it together for 2-3 days straight. Replacing u joints, brakes, flushing fluids etc. He bought an 84 vette in 83 when they first came out (he sold it a long time ago) but he said it was the best sports car he ever owned (no lie, this is 100% true). He said the Ferrari and Lambo are nothing but trouble. The Ferrari is on it's 3rd tranny at only 21,000 miles (and he knows how to drive it). Anyways He has no wife or anything (just occansinal girlfriends) fiancee said he really likes me so hey you never know:)
Old 09-05-2003, 02:52 PM
froggy3k
Advanced

Love the Lambos and would like to own an 88 Countach someday. But the vette isn't a dream, it's a reality. (and the wife said she gets her vette before I get my Lambo) Hey, it's a win/win for me!
Old 09-05-2003, 03:17 PM
Black84
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for setting the record straight and I agree totally!

:cheers:
Old 09-05-2003, 03:38 PM
jimb500
Racer

I think you miss the point of these cars. They can be used, as most people do, for toolin around town, smilin and profilin, but they are designed and built to perform at 10 tenths automotive capability. On US 19 in Palm Harbor, my vette is a lot more comfortable. At 190 at the Nurinburgring, either a Testa Rossa or a Countach is where I want to be sitting.

You're always going to pay a LOT more for that last 1-2% in performance.

Its a matter of the right tool for the job.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:21 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Robert, thank for sharing your insight :thumbs: I've never been in either exotic, but its nice to hear what you had to say :cheers:
Old 09-05-2003, 08:49 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

My ex wife's boss has a 1989 Countach, he brought it to a wedding where I was at. He let me sit in it and even start it up. Now I'm not a big person(in my eyes), I'm only 5'9" and about 200lbs(raw muscle of course).

I could barely fit in it. When I pushed the clutch pedal in, I thought I was hitting the brakes, that's how stiff it was.

When I started it, it was definitely a sweet sound.

I would love to have one, but for the price of one, I could own multiple vettes and a house(wait, I already do).
Old 09-06-2003, 11:34 AM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Italian cars? The Corvette is a much better car than any of them.
The C-5 will run neck and neck with everything but a Viper. The C-6 will address that issue.
For my money you can't beat a Corvette. I've never seen an Italian car that wasn't nothing but trouble.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:41 AM
Oly
Safety Car

:thumbs:

Well said.

Old 09-06-2003, 11:55 AM
Bat Man
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Few comments on all these Ferrari and Lambo Vs Vette posts (Black84)

I worked for ferrari, and driven almost every regular model you can think of.

They are not mechanically sound at all! People that say they are; are kidding themselves.

Ferrari is playing second fiddle to Lambo. Lambo's are 20X more exotic perform better, and are way cooler.

That said ferraris are still cool cars that can perform quite nicely, but the fact is that they aren't the top dog anymore. And their name is a very big status symbol.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:10 PM
87vette
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those Countach's sure are pretty! :yesnod: But as far as exotic cars and parts go... I know they are costly. If I was rich I'd buy one but the Vette does it all for me.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:11 PM
90L98vette
Advanced

Default Re: Few comments on all these Ferrari and Lambo Vs Vette posts (87vette)

:cheers:
agreed. at least you can be poor and feel rich in a vette
:cool: :chevy
Old 09-06-2003, 11:31 PM
JADVette94
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Few comments on all these Ferrari and Lambo Vs Vette posts (90L98vette)

Man...I don't know. I got to take 2 laps around Portland International Raceway in a 2000 Ferrari 360 F1. Don't get me wrong, I love my 94 LT1 and it has all the performance someone with my driving ability can handle, but the 360 was really on a whole new level. I knew I was in for it when I was told, "just don't take it over 8 grand." Sure enough, the car launched and revved so fast in first that I was at 8 grand before I realized it. One pull back on the right paddle shift had me in second, and it was all fun from there.

There is something to be said about a transmission that shifts as fast as a formula 1 car after 7200 rpm. :crazy: Although the Z06 has a little more horsepower and handles almost as well (if not better), there is still something to be said about the sound, feel, racing heritage, etc. of a Ferrari.

Get notified of new replies

To Few comments on all these Ferrari and Lambo Vs Vette posts

Quick Reply: Few comments on all these Ferrari and Lambo Vs Vette posts