Greased Lighting Treatment?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 09:35 PM
oldace84
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Default Greased Lighting Treatment?

I wondered if it was a good idea to use an additive such as The Greased Lighting Engine Treatment in our vette's?
Mine is an '84 with 88k miles?
I don't think it can hurt anything. After all years ago use to use STP oil treatment. Have come along way since.
Does anyone use the Greased Lightning??
thanks
tony
:flag

[Modified by oldace84, 6:36 PM 2/3/2004]
Old 02-04-2004, 12:50 AM
Curveit
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Greased Lighting Treatment? (oldace84)

I don't know if it would help, or hurt anything...Not real sure what that stuff is...But I have 250k on my everyday driver: 305 SB Chevy, never had the heads off. I changed oil-pump, cam, lifters,and timing-chain at around 100k to prevent any problems from occuring. I've used 10w-40 oil only, in all my cars since the 1960s, with no problems. My $.02 worth.

:chevy
Old 02-04-2004, 01:24 AM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

I would and do use only good quality oil, Mobil One in my case, and nothing else.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:21 AM
jmrl98
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tony, MAD sells an additive I personally saw demonstrated at a store. It is called motor kote, and it outlasted slick 50, stp, and a host of others. I believe it contains teflon, and I used it on my Ranger, which I bought with 127 miles on it in '92, and sold it last spring with 147,000 on it. It now has 154,000 (I sold it to my friends brother) and it just developed lifter tick. I have ran it in my vette for the time I have owned it, and it keeps temps. I can't say it improved performance because of the mods and things. You put it in every 50,000miles or 5 years. Since I initially put it in, I add about 2 oz. every oil change. I feel they help, but it could be psychological. Anything you choose would be beneficial IMO. :seeya
Old 02-05-2004, 12:43 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Greased Lighting Treatment? (jmrl98)

In order for teflon (PTFE) to bond to metal as is often the claim with treatments containing teflon, temps of around 600 F must be reached. Otherwise it just stays suspended in the oil.

Tony, MAD sells an additive I personally saw demonstrated at a store. It is called motor kote, and it outlasted slick 50, stp, and a host of others. I believe it contains teflon, and I used it on my Ranger, which I bought with 127 miles on it in '92, and sold it last spring with 147,000 on it. It now has 154,000 (I sold it to my friends brother) and it just developed lifter tick. I have ran it in my vette for the time I have owned it, and it keeps temps. I can't say it improved performance because of the mods and things. You put it in every 50,000miles or 5 years. Since I initially put it in, I add about 2 oz. every oil change. I feel they help, but it could be psychological. Anything you choose would be beneficial IMO. :seeya
Old 02-05-2004, 01:21 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Greased Lighting Treatment? (Lone Ranger)

DO NOT USE GREASED LIGHTNING!!!!!!!!!:smash:

Sorry for yelling, but the stuff is crap. I added it to a Camaro I used to own. Couple thousand miles later, the oil had visable metal shavings in it. I didn't bother going after Greased Lightning for the repairs...I got rid of the car (which I was getting ready to do anyway). Do not use! If you want to use something like that, use Slick 50. Even that, I wouldn't recommend. If anything, up the oil "weight" you are using a little. Only additive that did anything for other cars of mine when they were high mileage was Engine Restorer. That stuff worked.
:cheers:
Old 02-05-2004, 07:19 PM
Third Gear
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Greased Lighting Treatment? (Whitvette)

:iagree: I'm with Whitvette and Lone Ranger. DO NOT use any additives :nono: , they're SNAKE OIL. If you use additives you are being counterproductive. The Teflon can start to clog oil passages, and can restrict others. If enough builds up in your oil filter, it will send the oil filter into bypass mode, and thus NO oil will be filtered until your next oil change.

http://skepdic.com/slick50.html

There's one site... there are many others. Just use Mobil 1, Amsoil, or even Redline and call it a day :cheers:
Old 02-06-2004, 07:27 PM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Greased Lighting Treatment? (WickedC4)

Just use Mobil 1, Amsoil, or even Redline and call it a day :cheers:
:iagree:
Old 02-06-2004, 11:18 PM
C4DC
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Greased Lighting Treatment? (WickedC4)

:iagree: I'm with Whitvette and Lone Ranger. DO NOT use any additives :nono: , they're SNAKE OIL. If you use additives you are being counterproductive. The Teflon can start to clog oil passages, and can restrict others. If enough builds up in your oil filter, it will send the oil filter into bypass mode, and thus NO oil will be filtered until your next oil change.

http://skepdic.com/slick50.html

There's one site... there are many others. Just use Mobil 1, Amsoil, or even Redline and call it a day :cheers:
:iagree:
Old 02-07-2004, 02:10 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Greased Lighting Treatment? (Corvette Kid NC)

WELL SAID.

Mobil 1 Rocks :smash:
Old 02-07-2004, 06:58 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Greased Lighting Treatment? (xlr8nflorida)

All the claims notwithstanding, DuPont says Teflon is not for automotive engines. Restore has been known to help older engines but it is not a lubricant. From one who has sold a swimming pool full of the stuff, Oil additives are derived from the gizzards of serpents, steer clear.

Get notified of new replies

To Greased Lighting Treatment?

Quick Reply: Greased Lighting Treatment?