C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

best bang for the buck

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 08:43 PM
blanco_25
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best bang for the buck

Test drove my top 2 prospects 85 and 81 today. The 85 was in great shape body wise , drove great shifted smooth as butter , gauges weren't faded. 81 was good also , interior needs work , dash was cracked it drove great . Both owners were nice and were answering all my questions . Just torn on which would be better I want it to be a Sunday driver but also something me and my son can work on in the future.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:08 PM
wydopnthrtl
Drifting

Received 290 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by blanco_25
Test drove my top 2 prospects 85 and 81 today. The 85 was in great shape body wise , drove great shifted smooth as butter , gauges weren't faded. 81 was good also , interior needs work , dash was cracked it drove great . Both owners were nice and were answering all my questions . Just torn on which would be better I want it to be a Sunday driver but also something me and my son can work on in the future.
Well if you like to mostly work and appreciate finding and fixing crappy quality.. the 81 is a good choice. If you like to work a little and appreciate somewhat better quality w/definitely improved mechanical design.. the 85 is a good choice.

For me.. I actually like working on cars just as much as driving them. So I'd appreciate the C3 a bit more. But at the same time they had many short comings and were as slow as molasses in factory form.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:25 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

The 85 is a great car, i would always recommend a later model car.
From 86 on they had ABS brakes standard, the 90's onward Airbags.

The 85 is easy to work on as long as you get the 85 corvette shop manual, there are planty on ebay so you can diagnose and repair things yourself.

The one BIG difference is FUEL ECONOMY, you will go twice as far as a C3 with a TPI or LT1 C4 corvette.
I am in Australia and i can assure you that on a club event (interstate with 700+ km a C3 will have to refuel 2 to 3 times
Now that costs money as fuel prices keep rising, a well tuned C4 will almost do that trip on one tank. They are fantastic on fuel when cruising the highways, they can suck gas around town if you have a heavy right foot.

I know the C3 has a great coca cola inspired body shape (be it coke or GM that got that shape first.

The C4 looks great also so it depends what you like best, wheel update and headers on an 85 will make it look and perform really well. That will bring it into the mid 13 sec quarter mile (from mid 14 sec) while maintaining great fuel economy.

I have had my 85 for 17 years, i do all the work on her myself with the exception of the auto trans.

Even the single piston front callipers the 84-87 have work well with some high friction compound brake pads, i only upgraded mine to the
J55 option as i like to EXERCISE my vette on a closed track
(the 88-96 have twin piston front callipers) the J55 have 13 inch front discs.

The engines are bulletproof and you will have no issues with the driveline (unless you modify her).
Do the usual maintenance and you will have a very reliable vette.

My 85 has the 91-96 bumpers and chrome late C4 ZR1 wheels.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:30 PM
blanco_25
Heel & Toe

Thanks, the only thing I'm worried a about on the c4 is everything is "computerized". But I do like the coke bottle shaped body I could tell more people were looking at it more than the 85. Just worrying about the reliability of going out of town also.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:31 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

I like both my 77 and 86. The C3 has the big curves like a lot of older cars and the C4 has that plane boxy 80's style I also like.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:35 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

The computerised thing is not a problem, i have not had the ECM fail.
The star wars dash can have problems, however i still have my original dash but have replaced the bulbs long ago as they are known for overheating the dash and causing power supply problems.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Xenon-Bul...item1c3a4ffec6

The dash can be repaired so you do not have to wory about that
see the link below.

http://www.batee.com/

The engine sensors, ECM etc are readilly available and this forum has a wealth of knowlege available at all times of the day.

The only things that have stranded me is the fuel pump, starter motor, Auto trans blown and a half shaft snapped at a dragstrip.
NEVER drive with less than a 1/4 tank of fuel.

Wiring connectors they can be damaged from years of incorrect removals, i had an injector connector go bad causing a bad misfire.

The problems arrive when you modify a car, i had my vette 10 years without a problem. Then with more power the transmission spat the dummy. So as you can see these are just simple things that can go wrong on any car be it a C4 or C3

The ecm will tell you if something is wrong
The check engine light will come on, you just have to short the aldl connector under the trim panel the top r/h connections with a paperclip. Then turn ignition on and count the amount of code flashes
like 2 flashes pause and 3 flashes then you can go online and see what that code is. That is why a shop manual is so important it will show what to check be it a egr temp sensor or EST timing etc.

So these C4's are very straight forward to fix, people on this forum would have been there and done that. That makes it a very easy trouble shooting procedure.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:21 PM
IROC89CAMARO
Cruising

Well if i had my pic it would be the 81. It's the pretty nimble look that's screaming throw an LT1 in me lol.. It's a true classic car. The 85 is an overpriced camaro.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:40 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Ive spent 200,000 miles in a C3 and 150,000 in a C4. The C3 is less expensive to maintain. The C4 is a better, faster car if you can afford it. Look at the Willcox ad at prices for interior and other parts and think about what you will need. Ive been looking at early C3s lately but I may just keep the C4. Or end up with a P car, you never know about me.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:36 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by IROC89CAMARO
The 85 is an overpriced camaro.

You mean a VERY FAST overpriced camaro that will go twice as far as a C3 with a full tank of gas on a highway starts so easy every time and idles smooth, is also very comfortable (unless you have the Z51 suspension that is).

The old saying goes like this.

If you do not have anything nice to say, do not say it at all.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:20 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

dont know where overpriced really fits in here. A real nice low milage iroc will bring as much $ right now as a low milage vette of the same year. For the SAME money the vette is quicker, better handling and gets better gas milage. the only thing the iroc does bettter is hold two more people in the back seat. Ive had multiples of both so have a pretty good idea how they stack up. Only thing the iroc has and this is only my opinion is a little better lines. Either will show a c3 its tailights under any circumstance
Well if i had my pic it would be the 81. It's the pretty nimble look that's screaming throw an LT1 in me lol.. It's a true classic car. The 85 is an overpriced camaro.

Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 05-21-2014 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:47 AM
cohocarl
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Test drove my top 2 prospects 85 and 81 today.
I'd go for the 81, but I'm more old school. It would be MUCH cheaper and easier to restore/upgrade. It should gain/retain value better than an average C4. (note I didn't say GS's or LT4's or LT5's).

I know I'm gonna get blasted for this, but in my personal opinion, C3's were the last of the "real" Corvettes.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:10 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I always liked the 81 Vettes aggressive looking front bumper cover and body style!....

But, That's the only thing I liked about it! The 81's Suspension, Brakes, Engine power, Interior and Wheels all need upgrades badly!...

Unless you have at least another $10k-15k to spend on these issues, I'd always take the more modern vehicle...
Old 05-21-2014, 02:18 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Well if i had my pic it would be the 81. It's the pretty nimble look that's screaming throw an LSX in me lol.. It's a true classic car. The 85 is an overpriced camaro.
Fixed it for ya.. and if you are confusing a Vette with a Camaro you need glasses.

I have always liked the C3 but after driving both I was more impressed with the C4 and have been ever since. That sayd I would not mind owning one of each but prefer to drive the C4.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:21 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cohocarl

I know I'm gonna get blasted for this, but in my personal opinion, C3's were the last of the "real" Corvettes.
GTFO!!! When i hear that all i can do is laugh. GM has made fake Vettes since 84?

Explain what makes the C3 "Real" please.

Last edited by ch@0s; 05-21-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:55 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

The 85 is an overpriced camaro.
Please elaborate for some fun discussion.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:11 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dt86
Please elaborate for some fun discussion.
Boy we got some winners in here huh?
Old 05-21-2014, 05:39 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Just torn on which would be better I want it to be a Sunday driver but also something me and my son can work on in the future.
I think both fit those requirements. Sounds like you are a "carb guy" as was I before my '86 IROC-Z. There is plent of good lit on GM EFI as well as the GM FSM by HELM.

Bottom line is that you should drive both cars, review condition and go with your gut on the decision.

Get notified of new replies

To best bang for the buck

Old 05-21-2014, 07:11 PM
Cool95vette
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 88 Posts

I have a 79, 87, and 95. The 95 is the most comfortable, safe and economical to drive followed by the 87.

The 79 requires more maintenance, not as comfortable, and doesn't have all the safety features and bells and whistles.

That being said the 79 is the sexiest, most fun to drive, most obnoxious (side pipes), and gets the most looks and compliments.

What you should get should really depend on the type of driving you're going to do with it.

I drive my C4's for cruising and my C3 for hot rodding.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:28 PM
blanco_25
Heel & Toe

I grew up around carbs my dad has a 69 el camino ss that I drove in highschool I love the 81 just needs a little tlc interior wise and engine tune up, but the 85 is the nicest I've seen around here and the engine is rebuilt, has documentation, and seems more sensible in case we want to go out of town. But is 2500 more than the c3.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:37 PM
cohocarl
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cohocarl
I know I'm gonna get blasted for this...
Originally Posted by ch@0s
GTFO!!! When i hear that all i can do is laugh. GM has made fake Vettes since 84?
Told ya.

Originally Posted by ch@0s
Explain what makes the C3 "Real" please
Again, I state personal opinion...maybe because I grew up during the C3 heyday, but I prefer more basic, no frills, old school design. No computers, no video game dash, no ABS, no TC, no air bags, no optispark, no VATS, etc.
Want a BB w/ sidepipes, rally wheels w/ trim rings? No problem. That's what I consider a "Real" Corvette, or probably better phrased an "old school" Corvette.

No doubt about it, a C4 is much more refined, better handling, better fuel mileage (BFD) than a C3, but I think C4's and up lost some of their appeal.

Quick Reply: best bang for the buck