C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

interior lights flicker 95 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 11:53 PM
Chas 95
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interior lights flicker 95 Corvette

This evening while driving home around 7:30 the interior lights in my 95 Coupe starting flickering on and off, I'm concern'd that I might have a short. The road that I was driving on was paved w/some divits and pot holes. Could I have loosen'd a ground somewhere. I know I haven't given much detail but any help would appreciated. As I drove up my drive way, turnd' the car off, walk'd away the doors autolock'd and horn sounded telling me the VATS was armed. The interior lights stay'd on. After a few minutes I went back to the car opend both doors & the hatch, waited a few minutes. Shut both doors, and hatch again walk'd away, the doors autolock'd, horn sounded and lights went out. I may have mistakenly pressed the button below the headlamp switch, the one with the light and beams etched in it. Is that an interior light? I depressed it and the lights went out.

Thank you

Chas 95
Old 03-17-2004, 12:43 AM
comp94
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: interior lights flicker 95 Corvette (Chas 95)

sounds like bad door adjar switches to me they are about $18 from GM and $12 from autozone
Old 03-17-2004, 08:31 AM
Chas 95
Instructor

Default Re: interior lights flicker 95 Corvette (comp94)

Comp 94

Thank you for your advise. If the problem persisit's today, I'll be going to
autozone after work to get a door adjar switch. Are they fairly easy to install?

Chas 95
Old 03-17-2004, 08:44 AM
MARKRUBYRED
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

. I may have mistakenly pressed the button below the headlamp switch, the one with the light and beams etched in it. Is that an interior light? I depressed it and the lights went out.

Thank you

Chas 95
That would be your "fog light" button. Your other problem could possibly be a battery going south. Good luck with your 'Vette and keep us informed.
Mark :seeya
Old 03-17-2004, 11:57 AM
Red Guts
Burning Brakes

I had the same problem on my 94 and it was the switch. By pressing the switch in with my finger, I could get the locks and lights to behave perfectly, but with the door closed, it would flicker. I didn't have to replace the switch, just shim it to make sure it made good contact with the striker. Two small plastic washers under the switch screws shimmed it enough to make good contact. Price: $0.00.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:22 PM
CorvetteClug
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: interior lights flicker 95 Corvette (Red Guts)

You may want to look at the bolts that fasten the latch to the door. If you open the door and look at the end of it, you'll see three bolts. On my car, the ones on the pass. side loosened and the door rattled in and out ever so slightly. This made the lights turn on and off for me. Check that before buying parts!!! ;)
Old 03-17-2004, 08:25 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: interior lights flicker 95 Corvette (CorvetteClug)

Check your hatch switch as well.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:52 PM
Chas 95
Instructor

Default Re: interior lights flicker 95 Corvette (Mr Mojo)

Mr Mojo, funny you mention to check my hatch, about a week ago I bought a device that loops thru the latch and leaves a small opening so air flow between the glass hatch thru the rear storage compartment. I've used it one time, since then I've had this flickering problem. Thank you for your input, I appreciate all your advise

Chas 95
Purple Corvette
Old 03-20-2004, 11:32 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Mr Mojo, funny you mention to check my hatch, about a week ago I bought a device that loops thru the latch and leaves a small opening so air flow between the glass hatch thru the rear storage compartment. I've used it one time, since then I've had this flickering problem. Thank you for your input, I appreciate all your advise

Chas 95
Purple Corvette
Those hatch vents are notorious for breaking the switch, I broke mine three times, so I got rid of the vent.

As a temporary measure, you can unplug the hatch switch, it won't affect anything, mines been unplugged for over a year now. Just haven't had a chance to go get a new switch.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:44 AM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you try the above and lights are still intermittent, check for continuity at all door and hatch switches. If switches test out OK, you may have either a loose ground or a broken wire somewhere. Small gauge wires, when subjected to moisture over many years, can easily corrode through. Determine which switch is the culprit, then trace the power wire back until you find the break.

Get notified of new replies

To interior lights flicker 95 Corvette

Quick Reply: interior lights flicker 95 Corvette